Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Proper Wear of Armor (with anatomical diagrams)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    This is the only thing I'm familiar with that even comes close....

http://www.us-palm.com/index.php?opt...=product&id=28

....but still misses because it's sold as a package (plates included). You'd have to contact them to see if they sell the carrier by itself, which I'd do based on the fact that it looks more adjustable in terms of ride-height.

Some LE products still use rectangular plates, but I'm not familiar with carriers for them and hesitate to point things out as a result. The one time I wore one (2005), I'd already gotten "spoiled" by having worn corner-cut, double-curve SAPIs in the Interceptor vest, which were getting pushed forward prior and during OIF1.

The military issuing double-curve plates en mass kind of shot the single-curve/flat plate market in the ass, except for small trauma plates that are of a size similar to the 6x8 plates commonly used for side-SAPIs. Again, more of an LE thing, and I hope somebody from that community has more info. Those US Palm plates are surplus AirSave plates, and I similarly hope that somebody with aircrew experience may chime in with alternative carriers that they may have worn to mount those things.

Otherwise, SKD currently carries excellent plates for good prices, though one needs to bear in mind that any not rated for stand-alone use require backers to provide protection up to their rating. Even with stand-alone-rated plates, backers are a damned good idea. It DOES add up......

Checking the EE is a good idea, too.
    Well I plan on calling first thing Monday morning to see about a possible exchange...or flat out return if possible.

If they do accept a return do you have any solid recommendations for any corner-cut armor?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have yet to find any armor that really allows me to correctly sink the stock into my shoulder and get a good check weld without craning my neck.

In most cases I just shoot off my pectoral area and put the stock on the plate. If you rig your gear the right way you can even form a nice pocket on your vest to place the stock. This works great for CQB - less so targets at range but combat is not a 'leather jacket' event.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Armati View Post
    I have yet to find any armor that really allows me to correctly sink the stock into my shoulder and get a good check weld without craning my neck.

In most cases I just shoot off my pectoral area and put the stock on the plate. If you rig your gear the right way you can even form a nice pocket on your vest to place the stock. This works great for CQB - less so targets at range but combat is not a 'leather jacket' event.
    I actually simulated this a few times but I would imagine that the recoil of the weapon would cause it to slip off my chest after every shot. Worst case scenario I have been able to modify my gear so that it can be used but there is no way for me to obtain the coverage suggested within this thread as it stands currently(with current gear).

If I can rectify the situation tomorrow I was thinking about making a run at these but it appears they don't have medium, large or extra large:http://www.skdtac.com/BAE_NIJ_IV_SA_Plate_p/amr.114.htm
    Last edited by Logicalpath; 07-31-11 at 13:07.

Feedback Score
    62 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Armati View Post

In most cases I just shoot off my pectoral area and put the stock on the plate.
    Likewise. I place my buttstock on my plate as well. It's a nice, solid platform.

reference my video: http://youtu.be/cyQkXvE2L5I
    Last edited by panzerr; 07-31-11 at 22:10.
    a former meatpuppet.

http://sixty-six.org

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by panzerr View Post
    Likewise. I place my buttstock on my plate as well. It's a nice, solid platform.

reference: http://youtu.be/cyQkXvE2L5I
    It could be the plate carrier I have, it's really slick. Any idea which plate carrier he's using in that video? Better yet, which plate carrier are you using that seems to be functioning in that manner?

Feedback Score
    62 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Logicalpath View Post
    It could be the plate carrier I have, it's really slick. Any idea which plate carrier he's using in that video? Better yet, which plate carrier are you using that seems to be functioning in that manner?
    That is me in the video. It's a PIG plate carrier with medium Ceradyne SAPI plates.
    a former meatpuppet.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    That is me in the video. It's a PIG plate carrier with medium Ceradyne SAPI plates.
    Even better!

Is it the texture that keeps the stock from sliding right off? Mine seems to slide right off and thats just holding it against the carrier. Finally, do you know the internal dimensions of that carrier? My plates are 9.5" x 11.5", if it will take those and you think the texture is part of what's holding it in place then I'll buy one right now! LOL

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    There are a few solutions. Build up a pocket for your stock using closed cell foam. Run strips through the MOLLE loops. Rest the stock on another pouch on your chest. Use spray rubber coating on the butt, on the carrier or both. Try a rubber butt pad or ranger bands.

Feedback Score
    62 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Logicalpath View Post
    Even better!

Is it the texture that keeps the stock from sliding right off? Mine seems to slide right off and thats just holding it against the carrier. Finally, do you know the internal dimensions of that carrier? My plates are 9.5" x 11.5", if it will take those and you think the texture is part of what's holding it in place then I'll buy one right now! LOL
    Well the CTR on my Noveske has a rubber pad which gains traction on greased lightning. Your plates would fit fine.
    a former meatpuppet.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Well the CTR on my Noveske has a rubber pad which gains traction on greased lightning. Your plates would fit fine.
    Well the reason I asked is your carrier looks like the corners are cut and my plates are rectangles.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast