Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 14.5" Pinned Build

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

14.5" Pinned Build

Well after countless hours searching for a M&P 15 TS and than debating about getting a DDM4v1, I've decided to just build one that slightly combines both.

My goal is to have a 14.5" carbine (Non-NFA) so it will be pinned. I'd like to slap on a DD Omega X 12. FSP rail onto it.

I will be sending this stuff back to TX as I'm deployed now but I have a few questions prior to making the plunge.

If I get a 14.5" w/ a pinned flash hider, none of the rails can be installed on it since the barrel nut would have to be installed. Does anyone know of anyone that offers a 14.5" w/ DD rail pre-installed other than BCM (out of stock) ?

I have never fully built a rifle from the ground up and I'm not sure of how many gun smiths are in central Texas so I'm a little reluctant to buy the upper, barrel, fsb, gas tube etc and have it literally built.

Any suggestions on how I can meet my endstate?

Endstate Upper : 14.5" pinned, DD Rail (RIS 2 or Omega) 12" with the opening for the FSB.

Feedback Score
    You could buy the upper in NFA config and have it shipped to adco or rainier arms, along with your rail and choice 2.1" comp or fh and have all the work done there.
    Just checked and both The NFA standard 14.5 M4 upper and the RIS II M4A1 FSP in DE are in stock at Bravo. Rainier also has the 12in Lite Carbine FSP and black RIS II M4A1 FSP in stock.
    Last edited by Col_Crocs; 07-17-11 at 07:56.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoneOne View Post
    Well after countless hours searching for a M&P 15 TS and than debating about getting a DDM4v1, I've decided to just build one that slightly combines both.

My goal is to have a 14.5" carbine (Non-NFA) so it will be pinned. I'd like to slap on a DD Omega X 12. FSP rail onto it.

I will be sending this stuff back to TX as I'm deployed now but I have a few questions prior to making the plunge.

If I get a 14.5" w/ a pinned flash hider, none of the rails can be installed on it since the barrel nut would have to be installed. Does anyone know of anyone that offers a 14.5" w/ DD rail pre-installed other than BCM (out of stock) ?

I have never fully built a rifle from the ground up and I'm not sure of how many gun smiths are in central Texas so I'm a little reluctant to buy the upper, barrel, fsb, gas tube etc and have it literally built.

Any suggestions on how I can meet my endstate?

Endstate Upper : 14.5" pinned, DD Rail (RIS 2 or Omega) 12" with the opening for the FSB.
    The problem isn't the barrel nut but rather the gas block.
    You can cut the flash hider off. You can even do it with a dremel. Find the pin, dremel around it and remove it. It takes a bit of finesse but sometimes you can even do it and reuse the flash hider.

If you take a small drill bit and bite into the pin a little, it helps to break the pin loose.

The problem isn't getting the flash hider off, it's having someone pin and weld the new one on because that takes equipment people don't normally have at home (unless you weld).

To pin it, drill a hole in the new muzzle device. Insert something into the threads of the device so when your drill breaks through, the tip doesn't go slamming into the threads on the other side.
    Last edited by Underwhere; 07-17-11 at 08:38.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I just had two Colt uppers rebarreld by Daniel Defense.

They installed their 14.5 CHF carbine barrel, I already had a 12" FSP M4 rail on one, and 9.5" FSP rail on the other, so they re-installed those, then pinned SureFire 212A's in place. I already had the 212A's, but since they are part of the Vickers build they may have some on hand.

I would contact DD, they can build what you want, they are good people to deal with.

Bob
    " Some people say..any tactic that works is a good tactic,...I say, anything can work once" former ABQ swat Sgt.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Thanks for the info all. I've contacted DD direct and will be awaiting a response.

Meanwhile I'll keep looking at ADCO and Rainer to see if they can put together what I'm looking for. I had never heard of those companies before.

Thanks for the quick responses.

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    ADCO did my cut/recrown and pin/weld.
    Last edited by mattexass; 07-17-11 at 11:15.

Feedback Score
    Can you save yourself some hassle and just order everything disassembled? Buy your threaded barrel, muzzle device, FSB, and barrel nut. Take everything to a local smith (or send out) for pinning and welding. This will save you the whole having to cut the muzzle device off step.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    I agree. But, I wouldn't use a "local" smith unless I knew for sure that he was GTG.

You could even get a 14.5 standard upper or barrel and send it in to have the work down as well.

Quote Originally Posted by JTG40cal View Post
    Can you save yourself some hassle and just order everything disassembled? Buy your threaded barrel, muzzle device, FSB, and barrel nut. Take everything to a local smith (or send out) for pinning and welding. This will save you the whole having to cut the muzzle device off step.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    I agree. But, I wouldn't use a "local" smith unless I knew for sure that he was GTG.

You could even get a 14.5 standard upper or barrel and send it in to have the work down as well.
    Yeah, good call. I guess I'm fortunate here in Northern Virginia....there is a local guy that does a lot of work for Robb Jensen and the other Virginia Arms guys (who by the way are phenominal people to work with).

Edit: To clarify...I actually can't speak for any work he has done for Robb. I mentioned him because he is a known member here and I do know that VA Arms sends a lot of work this guy's way.
    Last edited by JTG40cal; 07-17-11 at 17:37.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Just figured I'd post and give an update. A member on AR15.com suggested smartgunnner.com. If anyone is looking specifically for DD products like I was, they offer a pretty large selection of uppers.

I ordered one today, the wait time is a little bit long, but since I can't use it any way until I'm back I think it will be more than worth the wait.

I look forward to getting my custom DD upper. Eliminating the hassel of piecing it together on my own and either hoping to find a good smith or sending it off again to get the work done helped make my decision to go with SG.

Here's what I got:

14.5" CHF DD Upper, Carbine with fixed front sight post.
    12" LITE FSP Rail
    1.5" Battle Comp Black, pinned.

I will either pick up a lower from them or BCM as I get closer to returning stateside.

Thanks for all the info. Hope this thread helps someone.

Edited to clarify rail - Thanks R.Moran
    Last edited by ZoneOne; 07-18-11 at 12:34.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast