Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which is more accurate: M-14 or SVD Dragunov?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Which is more accurate: M-14 or SVD Dragunov?

Okay, which rifle is going to be more accurate: a rack-grade M-14 with a telescopic sight, or a rack-grade SVD Dragunov?
    "The secret to happiness is freedom, and the secret to freedom is courage." - Thucydides, c. 410 BC

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quick answer- SVD

Provided that the SVD is in good condition and held to Soviet standards.

A few minor variables though- is the 14 shooting M80 ball or M118? Is the Druge shooting "sniper" ammo (hey, it's how the box is marked, don't get upset) or delinked PKM ammo? In the best/worst (M118 in M14/Delinked in SVD), you are probably going to be around the same in accuracy.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    The ammo is going to make a helluva difference. I have heard many "magical" claims of the SVD's accuracy - but in the end, it's a semi-auto with a really long, thin barrel. Don't expect magic.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    I can't remember off the top of my head, but I believe that if the SVD groups over 60mm at 100 m, the rifle is considered to be in need of repair, as per the russian manual.

So it's 2 MOA minimum in the user's hands, with the right ammo.

Nothing great. In my hands, that's what it shoots like. Not magic, but very caipable. Better glass would help a lot.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    So it's 2 MOA minimum in the user's hands, with the right ammo.

Nothing great. In my hands, that's what it shoots like. Not magic, but very caipable. Better glass would help a lot.
    Pretty much agree with you. However, an expensive, exotic firearm like the SVD or it's Chinese NDM clone can make otherwise normal men say really stupid things because thay have become emotionally attached to their firearm.

I had a guy on another forum angrily tell me that his Drag "won't shoot a group bigger than a nickel @ 100y." He also angrily insisted that I'd never shot one or even seen one.

All this melodrama because he was emotionally attached to this firearm.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wild_wild_wes View Post
    Okay, which rifle is going to be more accurate: a rack-grade M-14 with a telescopic sight, or a rack-grade SVD Dragunov?
    Is this an intellectual pursuit or are you considering a purchase?

If you have your reasons already sorted and figured, no problem, I'll just crawl back into my hole.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Just asked out of curiosity.

Givens: the same grade ammo, comparable optics.

What MOA is a rack-grade M-14 considered capable of?
    "The secret to happiness is freedom, and the secret to freedom is courage." - Thucydides, c. 410 BC

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wild_wild_wes View Post
    Just asked out of curiosity.

Givens: the same grade ammo, comparable optics.

What MOA is a rack-grade M-14 considered capable of?
    Average would be around 4-7 MOA in a shooter's hands. Military issue M-14s are not in very good condition at this point. I wasn't even a twinkle in my mommie's undies when the M14 was replaced, so I do not have first-hand knowledge of original issued rack-grade '14s. The decent ones were mostly converted to NM guns or DM guns, but the Navy is still bandying about with a bunch of 'em. They are in less than *pristine* condition, and I doubt that any of those are shooting under 5 MOA.

I am sure that I will take a bunch of shit for saying this, but the '14 was a little overrated. It harkens back to the days when guns were wood and steel and launched .30 cal pills, when men were men, commies were red, and politicians were honest.

Good gun? Damn straight. Best ever? Hardly. In comparison to the SVD? Not as accurate. Though the SVD barrel is relatively thin it does not demonstrate POI shift for realisitc usage. Remember also, you are comparing apples and peanuts here.

Purpose built precision guns such as LRB, Fulton Armory, or the better offerings from SA should put you in sub 1.5 MOA with good factory ammo. I would expect sub 1 MOA with properly selected or personally-crafted ammo.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    I am sure that I will take a bunch of shit for saying this, but the '14 was a little overrated. It harkens back to the days when guns were wood and steel and launched .30 cal pills, when men were men, commies were red, and politicians were honest.
    I doubt it, not on this board. Guys here tend to be on the realistic side. I own a SA Inc. M-1A from the '70's and it is a great rifle and I don't plan on selling it ever. But the platform is obsolete, despite being pressed into service in the current conflict.

Then again, I wouldn't want to have to lug around a Drag either. SASS or H&K 417 would probably fit the bill much better.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I bought an M-14 in kit form (and a reciever from Armscorp) and am having my gunsmith build it up. It is totally GI except for the reciever, and it was re-imported from Israel; the barrel is pristine.

I was wondering what kind of accuracy to expect from it, but I guess I won't know till it is finished. I usually put optics on my rifles, but what I'll put on this one depends on how it groups. If it is below 3 MOA I was considering the Valdala M2 4X (which was why I was asking about the SVD comparison- 4X to me seems like a good mag for a SDM type rifle, which is what the Dragunov is), but if it is worse that that I'll put an Aimpoint on it.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast