Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Canton Ohio PD / CCW Issue

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Exclamation Canton Ohio PD / CCW Issue

I frequent the Canton area while carrying ccw, this really has my attention.. This is not like the officers I've talked to who are for the right to carry. Yes, the driver should have interrupted at the beginning and disclosed his ccw permit. The officer threatened to execute the driver.. this is a must see if you haven't already.

http://ohioccw.org/201107214955/cantonpd.html

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/you-...-traffic-stop/

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I want to assure our citizens that the behavior, as demonstrated in this video, is wholly unacceptable and in complete contradiction to the professional standards we demand of our officers. As such, appropriate steps were placed in motion as dictated by our standards, policies and contractual obligations. Those steps included: The officer immediately being relieved of all duty. The incident has been referred to the Internal Affairs Bureau for what will be a complete and thorough investigation. As bad as the video indicates our officer's actions were, there is a due process procedure to follow. That process is designed in the best interest of both our employees and the citizens at large. That process will be followed in this case as in all others. Anyone shown to be in violation of our rules and regulations will be help appropriately responsible as dictated by all the facts. ~Chief Dean McKimm
    This was posted on the Canton, Ohio PD Facebook page earlier today, but after looking for it just now it seems to have been pulled down.

As frustrating as the situation may be, I respect the chief and the due process of the law.

Feedback Score
    http://www.cantonrep.com/carousel/x1...d-carry-arrest

Makes me a bit worried about the next time I CCW.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

"Move along, nothing to see here. Isolated incident."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by QuietShootr View Post

"Move along, nothing to see here. Isolated incident."
    I don't live in Ohio, so I couldn't say if it is propagandistic or not. I still have to believe and trust in the due process of the law for all citizens regardless of what I may feel about it.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The cop definitely over reacted. But consider you had a guy rolling around in a shady area with a hooker and her pimp. And waits 5 minutes to mention the gun.

At least in my ccw class we were told to have our drivers license and ccw permit out and in our hands holding them up for the officer to see. And to make a point of very quickly saying we had a weapon and a permit for it.

Looks like idiocy all around in this one.
    Last edited by Grizzly16; 07-21-11 at 22:18.

Feedback Score
    43 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly16 View Post
    The cop definitely over reacted. But consider you had a guy rolling around in a shady area with a hooker and her pimp. And waits 5 minutes to mention the gun.

At least in my ccw class we were told to have our drivers license and ccw permit out and in our hands holding them up for the officer to see. And to make a point of very quickly saying we had a weapon and a permit for it.

And do you think that makes anyone safer? Somehow a sizable portion of the states don't have a duty to inform and the blood is not running in the streets.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    "I have a....er..."

"My gu....er, nope - not gonna say it...."

"Excuse me? I have a permit you need to see."
    "I'm not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The... tactleneck! - Sterling Archer"
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important
    than one's fear. The timid presume it is lack of fear that allows the brave to act when the timid do not."

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly16 View Post

Your assumption that she was a hooker and he was a pimp is giving credence to what the completely irrational and out of control cop was saying. The officer also told him to shut up when he attempted to speak to him on multiple occasions. Ever keep talking when a cop's in your face telling you to shut the **** up? I've seen it and it ain't pretty.

The officer's behavior is appalling and he should be fired for threatening to execute a citizen along with threatening to assault the other people present. I also believe the assisting officer should be disciplined for not intervening on behalf of the citizen.

What sucks is even if he's fired initially due to the incident he'll probably be rehired by an arbitrator, pressure from his union or just sign on to another agency. It happens all the time.

He violated the 4th Amendment and case law by searching the vehicle. He needs to be behind bars for assault, making terroristic threats, threatening the life of a citizen and multiple other charges just like any citizen would be and not put on a paid vacation.

He'll be lucky if the FBI doesn't hammer his ass with 42 U.S.C. § 1983 and more than likely the gentleman who was assaulted will receive a very large settlement that will be paid with tax dollars.

That cop is a disservice to his department, his community and that uniform.

NOTE: Obviously this isn't meant towards police in general and is directed specifically at this guy so don't take this as being anti-LEO or anything of that nature.
    Last edited by Irish; 07-22-11 at 00:04.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    There is plenty of fail going on in that video. I agree that his being in that area was shall we say "strange". However, that does not excuse the behavior of either officer.

It would appear that the officer was so fixated on the so-called pimp and the girl he completely lost is SA.

I also don't understand why he just kicked them loose and then focused hs rage on the driver.

Additionally since he does have the duty to notify, he should have squeezed his balls and plainly stated "Officer, I am a CCW holder and I am carrying a firearm". Real easy. If the officer wants to tell him to shut up at that point he can do so.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast