Thread: Canton Ohio PD / CCW Issue

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Exclamation Canton Ohio PD / CCW Issue

I frequent the Canton area while carrying ccw, this really has my attention.. This is not like the officers I've talked to who are for the right to carry. Yes, the driver should have interrupted at the beginning and disclosed his ccw permit. The officer threatened to execute the driver.. this is a must see if you haven't already.

http://ohioccw.org/201107214955/cantonpd.html

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/you-...-traffic-stop/

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I want to assure our citizens that the behavior, as demonstrated in this video, is wholly unacceptable and in complete contradiction to the professional standards we demand of our officers. As such, appropriate steps were placed in motion as dictated by our standards, policies and contractual obligations. Those steps included: The officer immediately being relieved of all duty. The incident has been referred to the Internal Affairs Bureau for what will be a complete and thorough investigation. As bad as the video indicates our officer's actions were, there is a due process procedure to follow. That process is designed in the best interest of both our employees and the citizens at large. That process will be followed in this case as in all others. Anyone shown to be in violation of our rules and regulations will be help appropriately responsible as dictated by all the facts. ~Chief Dean McKimm
    This was posted on the Canton, Ohio PD Facebook page earlier today, but after looking for it just now it seems to have been pulled down.

As frustrating as the situation may be, I respect the chief and the due process of the law.

Feedback Score
    http://www.cantonrep.com/carousel/x1...d-carry-arrest

Makes me a bit worried about the next time I CCW.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

"Move along, nothing to see here. Isolated incident."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by QuietShootr View Post

"Move along, nothing to see here. Isolated incident."
    I don't live in Ohio, so I couldn't say if it is propagandistic or not. I still have to believe and trust in the due process of the law for all citizens regardless of what I may feel about it.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The cop definitely over reacted. But consider you had a guy rolling around in a shady area with a hooker and her pimp. And waits 5 minutes to mention the gun.

At least in my ccw class we were told to have our drivers license and ccw permit out and in our hands holding them up for the officer to see. And to make a point of very quickly saying we had a weapon and a permit for it.

Looks like idiocy all around in this one.
    Last edited by Grizzly16; 07-21-11 at 22:18.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC Nubby View Post
    This was posted on the Canton, Ohio PD Facebook page earlier today, but after looking for it just now it seems to have been pulled down.

As frustrating as the situation may be, I respect the chief and the due process of the law.
    It's still there:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/notes/can...07621069290829

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Whoa, they put it back! it was gone from about 4 yesterday until sometime this morning.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The unfortunate thing is that the "isolated incident" thing that everyone likes to joke about really isn't all that isolated. I've had a really bad encounter once and a couple of unpleasant minor ones in 20+ years of carrying a gun every day (now, to be completely fair, I have had FAR more positive interactions, at least in Indiana, than the two bad ones. In fact, most police in Indiana outside the city seem to view a carry license as a Good Guy card, which is as it should be) But, Indiana isn't a fair sample, since we've had shall-issue CCW for the regular guy for 40 or 50 years. Places where this stuff is new really need to have more education for the police on "CCW people are NOT your enemy."