Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Introducing the XM-3, the Marine's new Sniper rifle

Feedback Score
    That would make it subsonic at 1K yards...so in other words, not a 1K capable rifle (regardless of Chandler's claims). It would also give it 60+ inches more drop at 1K yards than a M40.

The Marines make their own M40's for the most part, if they wanted an 18" rifle why wouldn't they just make it in house? The $10K price tag leaves me feeling like this was a good 'ol boy transaction.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trim2L View Post
    The Marines make their own M40's for the most part, if they wanted an 18" rifle why wouldn't they just make it in house?
    This was made for DARPA. Who seems to be doing research on what the armed forces might need in the future. This request was obviously geared towards research for a lighter and shorter package for the Marine snipers.

The $10K price tag leaves me feeling like this was a good 'ol boy transaction.
    The $10k pricetag most likely represents a price that includes allowable, and allocable things, like G&A, overhead, profit, etc. Same as with all gov't contracts.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Trim2L View Post
    That would make it subsonic at 1K yards...so in other words, not a 1K capable rifle (regardless of Chandler's claims). It would also give it 60+ inches more drop at 1K yards than a M40.
    This is what I thought was interesting....why limit yourself to being subsonic @ 1k?

It's not a maritime op- they are shooting floating targets.

Semantics I think, shooting on/around ocean winds...is what I was inferring

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Impact View Post
    interesting...on a side note the MARPAT camo works great.
    It almost works as well as the ACU.
    "The secret to happiness is freedom, and the secret to freedom is courage." - Thucydides, c. 410 BC

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    SnipersHide has a really good discussion about how much of a rip off this is.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Plenty of info about it on the hide.
    Love you Pop. F*ck Cancer.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVAN View Post
    Chandler also states that it has a maximum effective range of 1000yds. Which is right around where the M40A3 placed it's max range.

The 2530fps is w/ suppressor on & M118LR.

That doesn't seem right.
    Interesting last January (I think it was Jan) I was chrono'ing my 700P (cut to 20") w/AAC Cyclone and was getting 2550fps with 175gr Black Hills red box.

I've thought of shortening it even further like 16.5" for a 500yd and shorter gun since I never shoot it past that anyway.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlelebowski View Post
    SnipersHide has a really good discussion about how much of a rip off this is.

Thanks for that link! Lotsa good info.
    "The secret to happiness is freedom, and the secret to freedom is courage." - Thucydides, c. 410 BC

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gotm4 View Post
    Interesting last January (I think it was Jan) I was chrono'ing my 700P (cut to 20") w/AAC Cyclone and was getting 2550fps with 175gr Black Hills red box.

I've thought of shortening it even further like 16.5" for a 500yd and shorter gun since I never shoot it past that anyway.
    Sounds right to me.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123