Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hatchet Thread (The)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Hatchet Thread (The)

I have had this hatchet for about four years. My Grandpa bought it at a garage sale for $1. It was covered in rust, dull, and the stacked-leather handle of this 40+ year old Estwing was rotted through. I cleaned all the rust off, primer/painted the handle, had it professionally sharpened, then wrapped the handle. I used a smaller diameter kernmantle rope on the inside and para cord over top.

I'm currently using a newer leather Estwing sheath, but thinking of having a custom Kydex sheath made for it.

Anyone keep a hatchet* handy in their survival stash?

*Please keep the topic on hatchets.
    Last edited by Dave L.; 07-24-11 at 10:20. Reason: add *
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I just bought one at a garage sale Friday for, you guessed it: $1.00! I plan on sharpening it myself but how much did your guy charge for the sharpening he did?

I love the paracord wrap on the handle.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Naxet1959 View Post
    .... I plan on sharpening it myself but how much did your guy charge for the sharpening he did?
    I brought it to a guy that has a business sharpening lawnmower and chainsaw blades. He did a great job for $7.
    Last edited by Dave L.; 07-24-11 at 06:34. Reason: add $$$
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    I don't have a hatchet in my gear (need to get one), but I do have this that I bought many many years ago on ebay. Its stainless and the old handle was cheap and coming apart so I recently gave it a complete makeover with baked on paint and a paracord wrap (my first attempt at wrapping). I've used this for all sorts of things over the years before I bought a real axe and hatchet to put in my yard tools.

old

now
    Last edited by ssracer; 07-24-11 at 09:24.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I had a very nice old Plum hatchet for a long time as a faithful camp companion, but it was stolen.

I broke out some $ a couple of years ago and picked up a Gransfors Bruks small forest axe. Couldn't be happier. Handy size and this sucker cuts. Picture is when it was new.
    - Jeff

“Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.” ― George Orwell, 1984

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbieler View Post
    I broke out some $ a couple of years ago and picked up a Gransfors Bruks small forest axe. Couldn't be happier.
    Very nice, I have one of those on my short list.
    Last edited by Dave L.; 07-25-11 at 13:17.

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I hope that isn't too much of a deviation from a hatchet. The small axe is on a 19" handle and isn't too much larger then a conventional hatchet.

I got one of the Estwing hatchets RMJ modified into a tomahawk last year. It's a wicked cutter as well. They gave it a custom kydex sheath too.

I've since painted it and wrapped the handle with McNet camo form tape (also used the tape on the axe handle).
    - Jeff

“Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.” ― George Orwell, 1984

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    mrbieler,
    That Estwing is f#$%ing badass man. Well played.

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Thanks. I really need to get off my butt and pick up another older one that that beauty you've got. The old ones are just nice and generally clean up well.
    - Jeff

Feedback Score
    I have a full sized Gerber axe and a miniature hiker. The full sized axe doesn't get much use. The miniature one has been with me over hill and dale.
    One day, I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast