Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hatchet Thread (The)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RWBlue View Post
    I have a full sized Gerber axe and a miniature hiker....
    How durable are the Gerber/Fiskars axe (and hatchet) line? I like the weight for a backpack, but the plastic design worries me.
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave L. View Post
    How durable are the Gerber/Fiskars axe (and hatchet) line? I like the weight for a backpack, but the plastic design worries me.
    I have a Fiskars axe. I don't have a tremendous amount of use with it yet. I have only fallen two trees with it both wear in the 2ft Dia range.
    The factory edge is good but I did go over it with course DMT block. I did not change the angle. The only thing I did was just to clean up the factory edge I spent maybe 15 min doing this and now you can actually shave with it. In both trees it sent chips flying through the entire falling process. With out needing to be resharpened.
    The steel used in the head seams to be very good compared to what you normally see in the hardware store axes. The polymer handle also seems the very well made. When I store it I put a coat of CLP on the head just in-case but I have found that CLP does a fairly decent job of removing tree sap as well.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbieler View Post
    I hope that isn't too much of a deviation from a hatchet. The small axe is on a 19" handle and isn't too much larger then a conventional hatchet.

I got one of the Estwing hatchets RMJ modified into a tomahawk last year. It's a wicked cutter as well. They gave it a custom kydex sheath too.

I've since painted it and wrapped the handle with McNet camo form tape (also used the tape on the axe handle).
    That is damn nice!
    I have been eying a eastwing hatchet for a long time it never crossed me to turn into a tomahawk.

Feedback Score
    I have a couple of Boy's Axes (basically a long handled hatchet)... one of the best tools ever.
    I put the "Amateur" in Amateur Radio...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas M-4 View Post
    That is damn nice!
    I have been eying a eastwing hatchet for a long time it never crossed me to turn into a tomahawk.
    It appears they had to weld a piece on to the back side to make that spike. Can anyone confirm?
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score

By the looks of this pic I don't think its welded on.
    If I had to guess - I would say it is a carpenters hatchet that had the hammer head milled down to spike and the blade portion has been re-profiled big time.
    This is all just a WAG on my part
    mrbieler we need some info
    Last edited by Thomas M-4; 07-25-11 at 14:05.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave L. View Post
    It appears they had to weld a piece on to the back side to make that spike. Can anyone confirm?
    Probably started life as a rigger's axe, or carpenter's hatchet

http://www.estwing.com/product.php?product_id=3400
    I put the "Amateur" in Amateur Radio...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas M-4 View Post
    I would say it is a carpenters hatchet that had the hammer head milled down to spike and the blade portion has been re-profiled big time.
    I believe you guys are correct. Didn't even know the Carpenter's Hatchet was part of their line.

Hmm, that could be a cool DIY project...
    Last edited by Dave L.; 07-25-11 at 14:06. Reason: ETA: was beat to it...

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I forget the base model they used, but I do believe it was the Carpenters Hatchet.

It's all just re-profiling and grinding. No welding here.

It started as DIY project and turned into a short run they were offering. It was quick stuff. They didn't even take off the Home Depot stickers. Just marked them up with the Sharpie pen and grind away.

The sharpened beard means you'd better know where your hands are...

I love my Shrike, but the little Estwing rework is very cool.
    Last edited by mrbieler; 07-25-11 at 15:51.
    - Jeff

“Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.” ― George Orwell, 1984

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbieler View Post
    I broke out some $ a couple of years ago and picked up a Gransfors Bruks small forest axe. Couldn't be happier. Handy size and this sucker cuts. Picture is when it was new.
    I have drooled over those for a few months now. I feel a little like Wayne sometimes when I see pics posted online..."She will be mine. Oh, yes, she will be mine."

For now it is a yard sale special of unknown origins with a bad head and a worse handle. It is getting to the point where it is unsafe to use and too much work to keep up the edge.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast