Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hatchet Thread (The)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbieler View Post
    I forget the base model they used, but I do believe it was the Carpenters Hatchet.

It's all just re-profiling and grinding. No welding here.

It started as DIY project and turned into a short run they were offering. It was quick stuff. They didn't even take off the Home Depot stickers. Just marked them up with the Sharpie pen and grind away.

The sharpened beard means you'd better know where your hands are...

I love my Shrike, but the little Estwing rework is very cool.
    Who did this work? Looks really cool. Did they have to go really slow in order to not damage the temper of the steel in removing that much material with a grinder or what? I bet the Estwing feels pretty good in the hand when you hit things because of the handle design.
    Last edited by BrianS; 07-25-11 at 19:31.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianS View Post
    Who did this work? Looks really cool. Did they have to go really slow in order to not damage the temper of the steel in removing that much material with a grinder or what? I bet the Estwing feels pretty good in the hand when you hit things because of the handle design.
    I found this a couple hrs ago.
    http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/v...00b422f636b648

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    The Estwing was done by RMJ Tactical. They make awesome Tomahawks. This was part of a one time special project they did on a challenge to show how easy a DIY could be.

As for the $ for the Gransfors Bruks, I paid about $85 delivered for mine and the first time I used it I had to ask why I spent so much time debating spending the money. It makes wood chopping way to easy.
    - Jeff

“Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.” ― George Orwell, 1984

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    That is a pretty good price. Everywhere I look that forest axe is something like $120. Where did you get it?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I got mine off an Ebay Dealer. Looks like pricing has gone up. I got mine in 2009.
    - Jeff

“Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.” ― George Orwell, 1984

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas M-4 View Post
    Cool, thanks for the link.

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    I try to always have a hatchet on hand when I'm outdoors, camping, or deployed. In my experience they're much more efficient than a "big choppin knife" and lighter than a lot of them. I like to carry a hatchet, a small 3-4" fixed blade, and a folder or two. I currently use a GB hatchet but it was kind of an indulgence. It performs well but I really don't see the need to buy anything that expensive. The Fiskars hatchets and axes are pretty decent as are Wetterlings. I like the steel on the GB and can keep it pretty sharp with a convex grind but I'd love to try a woods hatchet in something like CPM M4 or INFI. I think it's a little unfortunate that there a re a lot of people making tactical tomahawks, something I find useless, out of great steel but nobody seems to be making traditional hatchets out of newer and better steels for reasonable prices.
    Last edited by mkmckinley; 07-26-11 at 05:24.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mkmckinley View Post
    I try to always have a hatchet on hand when I'm outdoors, camping, or deployed. In my experience they're much more efficient than a "big choppin knife" and lighter than a lot of them....
    I agree with this. I keep an Estwing long handled Camper's Axe in my truck at all times. It has paid for itself multiple times when I needed it. I think I bought it at Home Depot for $37.
    The hatchet (I posted pictures of) is either in or strapped to my backpack.
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Over the years I have learned that Eastwing Hatchets and Axes become incredibly fatiguing to the hand during prolonged use. This is due to their all metal designs. Even with a thick rubber coating on the handle area, they will cause your hands to cramp up during prolonged use.

I use, and recommend several hatchets/axes is different price brackets.

Gränsfors Bruks makes a hell of a nice tool, at a hefty price. $80-$150.

Whetterling makes a good product at a more moderate price. $50-$100.

Helko Vario 2000 makes a good product at reasonable prices. Despite the unconventional design the product works fantastically. (One of My personal Favorites) $30-$100.

Fiskars In the sleeper category. No vehicle is complete without a $15 Fiskars hatchet. Lightweight, strong handle, and It comes with a hell of a good edge on it. My only complaint is the Thickness of the cutting edge. A slimmer design would through chips much better. Their entire line offers quality at affordable prices. All said and done, a much better product than the Eastwing, at a lower price.

TC

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I've been thinking about setting up a hatchet such as shown in the beginning of this thread. Gives me some good ideas. In the interim I've been using a Woodsman Pal and putting it to good use.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast