Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Hatchet Thread (The)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave L. View Post
    How durable are the Gerber/Fiskars axe (and hatchet) line? I like the weight for a backpack, but the plastic design worries me.
    I wouldn't use them as prying tools, but in my experience, the handles have proven durable/reliable. I have two 14" hatchets (one older Gerber, and one more recent Fiskars). The Gerber I've used for the last 15 years or so for chopping and splitting firewood while camping. I have employed the baton method for a lot of the splitting duties; basically using the ax head like a maul and clubbing it with a large piece of wood. The handle shows signs of wear around the head, but is otherwise tight and intact.

I purchased the 14" Fiskars hatchet a few years ago after I had misplaced, and then found, the Gerber. I haven't used it a lot, but it seems to me that it doesn't hold an edge as well as the Gerber model. Perhaps something changed in the manufacturing process in the 10 years or so between my purchases.

I have used a variety of different hatchets and chopping tools, and have always reverted back to the 14" Fiskars/Gerber hatchet. I'd recommend the Fiskars over the Gerber, as they seem to be more affordable (brand marketing?), and both appear to share the same heads these days.
    One doesn't need to be sick to get better.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Watrdawg View Post
    I've been thinking about setting up a hatchet such as shown in the beginning of this thread. Gives me some good ideas...
    If you are talking about my cord-wrapped version, just know that it is not a comfortable grip. Gloves are needed to make it tolerable. I don't use that hatchet as an every day tool; only as a survival/camping (limited use) tool. We all know how many uses cordage has in the woods and it's quite possible all would be taken off the handle to be used else where, making gloves all that more important.

I'm thinking about getting one of the new-er version Gerber Hatchets to handle some daily abuse to test how it holds up over the next couple years.
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I was thinking more along the lines of what mrbieler did with his. I could see that wrapped handle being rough on the hands. There is a picture in the Gear Loadout and Pics section

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...=39159&page=15

post #295 of a hatchet attached to this pc. I like the looks of that handle and would love to find out what brand/model it is. I'm going to have to PM him and find out.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Watrdawg View Post
    I was thinking more along the lines of what mrbieler did with his. I could see that wrapped handle being rough on the hands. There is a picture in the Gear Loadout and Pics section

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...=39159&page=15

post #295 of a hatchet attached to this pc. I like the looks of that handle and would love to find out what brand/model it is. I'm going to have to PM him and find out.
    Edwood is running a Combat axe made by Daniel Winkler. Here is the link. http://winklerknives.com/knives.asp?id=160 or http://winklerknives.com/knives.asp?id=149

The axe was mentioned in a thread on lightfighter.
    Last edited by PaiN108; 08-08-11 at 00:35.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave L. View Post
    I'm thinking about getting one of the new-er version Gerber Hatchets to handle some daily abuse to test how it holds up over the next couple years.

I have one of those and it is a great light weight hatchet. You can not beat them for the price.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234