Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MARS Armament 1911 makeover

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

MARS Armament 1911 makeover

last year i met steve morrison from MARS Armament at the SAR show and was impressed with his no-bling, utlitarian 1911s that he had on display. one of them was darryl bolke's THUG gun, which was featured this past summer in SureFire's Combat Tactics magazine. anyways, i had this series 80 stainless Colt govt model that i've had for 15 years, but didn't like too much (it was too good a deal to pass up when i bought it used), which i decided to send to steve for a makeover in jan '07. the pistol would string vertically (bushing/barrel slop)and when it got dirty, around 100 rounds, it'd get sluggish and sometimes fail to go into complete battery. not reliable enough to make it through a match. rather than send it out to get fixed, i just didn't shoot it much (i had 3 other 1911s), and it eventually became a safe queen.
    after 10 months of anticipation (he moved his shop from utah to AZ, which took quite a bit of his time), i just got it back in my grubby hands. took some pics then headed to the range. i'm extremely pleased with the results - i think it looks great, and it shoots better than i do. no more accuracy probs, nor reliability probs.
    i did pretty long writeup on my site, so rather than cut and paste it here, please follow the link for many more pics and details. it should answer most of your questions if you have any. steve was a great guy to deal with and really took his time to accomodate my wants.
    link to writeup: http://www.militarymorons.com/weapons/pistols.html#mars

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thank God!! I saw the first picture with the extended slide release and adjustable rear sight and didn't look at who you were and was like oh no...

That pistol turned out very nice.

Do you like the two toned better generally? I may have (personal opinion) kept the slide as it was. It looks very nice in your first pics- perfect SS but somehow darker- probably your background lighting.

I've got a Series70 MKIV that's about 95% condition that I wouldn't mind having reworked by Dave Berryhill to upgrade the fire control although it's got a very nice pull now.

I'd like a longer trigger and similar sights- I like my 10-8 on the Loaded I have but to be honest, I actually shot better with the teenie weenie Colt sights last time I fired the two. Probably because I forced myself to aim with them. I'm 100% sure they aren't better in a self defense situation...

I've got a (I believe) MARS MSH like that but without the magwell. I also have a set of green/black gunners that I should put on her.

She's minty blue though. Would look much nicer on your SS frame...

ETA: Mine really needs a beavertail like that too..

Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball...

Feedback Score
    Wow it indeed turned out very nice.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    thanks - i've always preferred the two-tone look to all-stainless. it's the background lighting that's creating any dark areas - the slide had the typical shiny brushed finish. i had the 10-8 rear sight notch widened - i found it too narrow for my liking.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    WOW!!!

That is stunningly beautiful!!!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    NICE
    NOT in training for combat deployment.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Wow that is beautiful. Nice Colt base as well. Your making me jealous wishing i had a Colt just like yours

Feedback Score

Thumbs up

Very nice!
    A good name is to be chosen rather than great riches...

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Excellent.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    Absolutely beautiful! Love the matching straps, grips, and even the background! Great photos!
    "I can't think of nothin' finer than a fine naked woman holding a gun." --- Frankie Figs

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast