Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: New Remington 700 SPS Tactical range report

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskapopo View Post
    I clean it after I shoot it. It still shoots the other loads fine. Not sure whats up.
    Pat
    I'd pull apart one of your handloads then. Check the case length, powder charge, cartridge OAL... There's gotta be a variable somewhere.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tuck View Post
    I'd pull apart one of your handloads then. Check the case length, powder charge, cartridge OAL... There's gotta be a variable somewhere.
    Did that and case lenght was on the short side. I must have over trimmed my brass last time I ran them through the power trimer on my dillon. I have new brass on the way.
    Pat
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    For my SPS-T I have been doing loads myself. I've pretty much got a load worked up for 168 SMKs, 168 A-MAXs and Hornday 165 BTSPs. What I did was load up 5 rounds with .5 grain increments of Varget and chronoed them. I would do about 25 rounds so with 5 different charge weights. Once I chronoed them I took a few things into consideration, I looked at group size and at the consistency of the MV of the charges. What I found was

42 grains of Varget for my SMKs for 2440 fps
    44 grains of Varget for my A-Max for 2583 fps
    and 43.5 grains of Varget my 165 SPBTs for 2560 fps

I will be doing more extensive testing of the SMK and A-MAX loads to reverify later on in the year but will be testing the the 165s pretty exclusively for the next two months or so. I want to know exactly where my round is at out to 500 yards to get ready for hunting season.

So far though I've been extremely impressed with my rifle. Handloads are yeidling sub MOA (excluding called fliers) groups from bipod and rear bag. For me that is awesome considering I'm looking at hitting about a 12 inch target that is known as Elk lungs and heart.

They're shooters and thats the main thing!
    I digitally inserted Jaba the Hutt into the original Star Wars-Eric Cartman

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    How does the clarity compare with Leopold?
    Pat
    I've never seen a Leupold go up to 24x but with Vortex on 10x I would say it is dead even with Leupold at 10x. I will try to get some pics. At 24x the glass is definitely clear, usable, bright, etc it just doesnt have that "sparkle" to it like it does at 10x.

I do not say this trying to "boost" Vortex in order to justify my own purchase, but I have read many reviews where Vortex glass is judged superior to Leupold.

Top pic is 24x, middle is 12x, bottom is 6x (reticle is visible but didn't pick up in the picture. The window is at 150 yards. As you can see, the reticle at 24x is clear enough for use by far. I personally don't use it because I just got it and here in the summer time mirage makes anything over 12x fairly useless.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    I've never seen a Leupold go up to 24x but with Vortex on 10x I would say it is dead even with Leupold at 10x. I will try to get some pics. At 24x the glass is definitely clear, usable, bright, etc it just doesnt have that "sparkle" to it like it does at 10x.

I do not say this trying to "boost" Vortex in order to justify my own purchase, but I have read many reviews where Vortex glass is judged superior to Leupold.

Top pic is 24x, middle is 12x, bottom is 6x (reticle is visible but didn't pick up in the picture. The window is at 150 yards. As you can see, the reticle at 24x is clear enough for use by far. I personally don't use it because I just got it and here in the summer time mirage makes anything over 12x fairly useless.
    Thanks for the pics. Brownells offers a good LEO discount on Vortex optics and I am trying to decide between these two that they have in stock.
    4-16x50 FFP Riflescope w/EBR-1 MOA Reticle
    and the
    4-16x50 Riflescope w/EBR=1 MOA Reticle
    Mfr. Part: PST416S1A

The 6-24's are on back order.
    pat
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Pat, let me know if you need the contact info of the mil/LE sales rep at US Optics. He's a good friend of mine and will not try to bullshit you.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Have not made my mind up totally yet. THrought the lower power range fit the .308 better.
    Pat
    I agree with you. My brother had a Nightforce 5.5-20x on his AI AW at first and then ended up with 3.5-10x Leupold. He's an 8541 and 8542.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlelebowski View Post
    Pat, let me know if you need the contact info of the mil/LE sales rep at US Optics. He's a good friend of mine and will not try to bullshit you.
    They make great optics. I looked through a scope Eric Lund had designed the reticle on for them. Nice and crisp glass. Unfortunately I can't afford top tier glass for this rifle as of yet unless their LEO discount was beyond belief.
    pat
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor

Feedback Score
    More USO scopes have shit the bed in my presence than any other top tier manufacturer. Not opinion... but fact. 4 so far. Don't go flaming me... its just point of fact. Now if you get one that works and continues to do so... they are great rifle scopes. Obviously their customer service is excellent as well.
    Greg Dykstra
    Primal Rights, Inc.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456