Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts / Specs on Nylon Gun Belts & Leather - UPDATED.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have had two OSOE Cobra Riggers Belts for around three years. One thing I hate about them is how long the "tail" is after the belt is tightened into place. The excess material really interfered with my gear configuration. I have been using my trusty Galco belts (I deploy with 2) for years.
    Here is a picture of the current version I'm using.

One note, it doesn't take 4 layers of SCUBA webbing to hold you pants and gear up.

Like Steve S. said, leather doesn't last as long as nylon. It also tends to stretch out however, the best part about leather is that it conforms to your body.
    One thing I've noticed about Cobra buckles, they stick out like a white woman with a black eye. If you are carrying a gun on your belt, why draw more attention to that part of your body?
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I have always preferred leather belts for their comfort and snug hold of gear and have wondered if a good shark skin or elephant hide would be worth the cost and approach the durability, abrasion resistance and some of the other qualities of a nylon belt.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

My thoughts on belts.

Steve,

I like the article and argee on most everything in it. I got my first CCW license almost 20 years ago. Since then, I have tried a fair amount of belts. Up until last year, I was a diehard fan of leather belts while carrying. I seem to always have 2 carry belts, a brown one and a black one. Over the years I have replaced both, but recently had trouble finding a quality brown one. It has been my experience that companies that once made great leather products, now have gone the way of the cheap ones. However, there are some companies still making good stuff, it just takes a little longer to find them. My current 2 leather carry belts:

The brown one is by Crossbreed holsters, the black one is a Galco. As you can see, leather will conform to the shape of the owner over time. I have more years on the Galco, but both are reliable platforms. However, I have been wearing something different lately....

I read about the nylon belts, and wanted to try one out. As much as it pains me to give up the leaher, IMHO, the nylon does an overall better job, especially in less-than ideal conditions. My current carry belt is from Endeavor Stichworks, whom I think make some of the best belts out there. Here is one with a holster and magazine carrier from PSS:

The upper belt is my Balckhawk belt, the lower is the Endeavor Cobra belt. As with the leather, the nylon is starting to take shape as well:

I wear the Cobra belt, holster and mag carrier concealed, usually with a shirt, sometimes with a SMF vest. I have found that this combination is the most comfortable i have found yet, and does not bind or kick up hot spots, even with a long day's wearing. This is what I will wear until it is time to put on the Blackhawk belt, but even then, the Cobra belt is still working.

I have added a strip of loop velcro on my Cobra belt, which works in conjunction with strips of hook on the inside of the Blackhawk belt. It is early on in the trials, but it does seem to be working well in reducing the movement of the overbelt while drawing magazines from the pouches....It is, of course, a work in progress...

I guess we all have to find out what works for each of us, but for me, I am staying with the nylon for now...... but still keeping an eye out for the next best mousetrap.

Take Care,
    gb

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I really like the tactical nylon belts I currently have in use that include an OSOE riggers belt, a TT riggers belt and a Jones Tactial EDC belt. The Jones Tactical is one of my favorites to wear.

BUT, what I don't like about the nylon tactical belts of today, is the excessive tails on riggers belts and with the cobra style belts, having to pull the buckles off to thread items on the belt, put the buckle back on and then try and velcro the tail down under a holster or other gear. It drives me nuts! Working plain clothes, I carry the pistol, double mag pouch, cuffs, OC spray, cell phone, belt badge and flashlight. It really gets annoying to try to get all this stuff threaded on, then put the cobra buckle on, and try and get the tail under the gear! Equally annoying is the tail on riggers belts, trying to get it between the belt and items on the belt.

Maybe I am doing it wrong, I don't know! LOL!

If I recall correctly, when I remembered seeing riggers belts start to become common use, dudes were using them with a drop leg holster rig and not much else on the belt. With that in mind, both styles of belts work well.

I see rigger or cobra belts as excellent inner belts for the molle battle belts, OR again used with minimal equipment mounted on them.

I will continue to use my tactical nylon gun belts...but I am searching for a new leather gun belt that is easy on, easy off. I DO like the look of some of the Wilderness belts, but see the tails on them still being a pain. If someone has any alternatives they can suggest, fire away.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Thanks to Steve S. I now have a belt on order with Endeavor Stitch Works. Then I can see for myself how the nylon and double leather compare.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I've gone through a bunch of belts myself, and IMO, belts are too often overlooked as the critical element that they are in a comfortable EDC setup. The best magazine pouches and holster in the world will still be uncomfortable when put on the wrong belt for you.

My Wilderness nylon has replaced multiple nylon 5.11 belts, and Specter belts.

My Desantis leather belt is worn out and way too flexible, and I'm strongly considering ordering a Beltman.

In my experience, a belt that has zero stretch or "give" to it, can be a blessing under a really heavy load, but tends to be less comfortable under a light load. For example, when I carry a fullsize glock, a few blades, single 123a flashlight, wallet/keys/smartphone...even my worn out leather belt is more comfortable that the Wilderness nylon.

If I added a few magazines on the other side, the nylon is more comfortable to me, then.

My hope is that the more robust leather belt bridges the gap I'm currently experiencing between being stiff and being comfortable.

Feedback Score
    Awsome post and very educational! I was not aware of the newer breed of nylon belts (Cobra, etc.).

I had a Wilderness instructor's belt for several years. It was my go-to range/training belt for a while. At some point, I gave it to a person in need of a decent belt and have not thought to replace it, although this thread has me thinking I should.

For everyday concealed carry, I have been using the same Milt Sparks 1.5" leather belt with brass buckle for the past 15 years. It is still holding up great along with the matching Summer Special holster I bought at the same time. I re-dye the leather every few years when it starts to look worn. When wearing a suit or sportcoat, I use a leather 1.25" belt with brass buckle made by a local holster-maker. I have nothing against nylon and think that in many ways it is probably superior to leather, but since I carry concealed 90% of the time I prefer to stay away from anything that looks "tactical."

The hybrid kydex/leather belts made by Blade Tech look interesting and I may give one a try if my Sparks belt ever decides to call it quits.

-Mike

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I currently use a Mitch Rosen leather belt for EDC and general range use, but I've been looking into getting a good web belt for hard use at the range. Thanks for the good info Steve, lots of information to process there.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by the judge View Post
    I really like the tactical nylon belts I currently have in use that include an OSOE riggers belt, a TT riggers belt and a Jones Tactial EDC belt. The Jones Tactical is one of my favorites to wear.

BUT, what I don't like about the nylon tactical belts of today, is the excessive tails on riggers belts and with the cobra style belts, having to pull the buckles off to thread items on the belt, put the buckle back on and then try and velcro the tail down under a holster or other gear. It drives me nuts! Working plain clothes, I carry the pistol, double mag pouch, cuffs, OC spray, cell phone, belt badge and flashlight. It really gets annoying to try to get all this stuff threaded on, then put the cobra buckle on, and try and get the tail under the gear! Equally annoying is the tail on riggers belts, trying to get it between the belt and items on the belt.

Maybe I am doing it wrong, I don't know! LOL!

If I recall correctly, when I remembered seeing riggers belts start to become common use, dudes were using them with a drop leg holster rig and not much else on the belt. With that in mind, both styles of belts work well.

I see rigger or cobra belts as excellent inner belts for the molle battle belts, OR again used with minimal equipment mounted on them.

I will continue to use my tactical nylon gun belts...but I am searching for a new leather gun belt that is easy on, easy off. I DO like the look of some of the Wilderness belts, but see the tails on them still being a pain. If someone has any alternatives they can suggest, fire away.
    I would take a look at the Ares Ranger Belt. It's close to your Jones Tactical EDB - but has no velcro whatsoever. It will allow you to run gear right up to the buckles on both ends, you just need to tuck the "Tail" behind the buckle once tightened.

Let me know if you need some pictures to better illustrate what I mean. Sorry for the slow response.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Anyone ever trim and re-burn their nylon on a cobra buckled belt once you figure out your sizing to get rid of all the extra webbing? I had to do this with my Wilderness after I started wearing my (PSS) holster OWB and forward of 3 o'clock and it worked well - however the webbing looks way thicker on the cobra buckled belts.
    Last edited by CaptainDooley; 10-10-11 at 19:22.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

Whining in a forum that people have seen your thread, but not replied, reeks of an odd brand of desperation. - Me

Titling your thread "To XYZ or Not to XYZ" will cause me to completely ignore your thread.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast