Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lee 300 blackout dies are in

Feedback Score

Lee 300 blackout dies are in

I just got a notification from midway that the Lee 300 blackout dies are in. About $31 for the set, $11 for a crimp die and $5.00 for a trimmer.
    $10 off $50 order with coupon code 1071171

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    All the talk about how Bushmaster, DPMS, RRA, etc, etc, etc. are crap. BCM, Noveske, Colt and Daniel Defense are the ONLY things to buy. (I'm not arguing, by the way.)

And you're going to buy LEE dies? Seriously? The only one worth considering is the Factory Crimp Die.

Just an observation. I'd get the Redding http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=655379 , or Forster http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=337091

It appears as if Redding will be selling a "named" .300 AAC Blackout die, but as far as I know the only difference with the .300/221 Fireball/Whisper is in the chamber, not the case geometry.

Will

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Clod Stomper View Post
    All the talk about how Bushmaster, DPMS, RRA, etc, etc, etc. are crap. BCM, Noveske, Colt and Daniel Defense are the ONLY things to buy. (I'm not arguing, by the way.)

And you're going to buy LEE dies? Seriously? The only one worth considering is the Factory Crimp Die.

Just an observation. I'd get the Redding http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=655379 , or Forster http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=337091

It appears as if Redding will be selling a "named" .300 AAC Blackout die, but as far as I know the only difference with the .300/221 Fireball/Whisper is in the chamber, not the case geometry.

Will
    Yep. Lee dies have a 1 in 9" twist while Redding has a 1 in 7". And Lee's staking sucks.

Feedback Score
    The Lee dies are on my list. I spend quite a bit less time mf'ing the decapper on theirs vs my RCBS set...

Feedback Score
    I have used lee dies for years and have always had good luck. I find them a excellent value. However it would be interesting to see a comparison.

Feedback Score
    I have not compared runout on all of the dies. I think one would have to do that on their own personal set anyway.

Yes, Redding already has named 300 BLK dies.

The Lee crimp dies sold out in 1/2 a day. The dies took two days but are sold out now.
    Last edited by rsilvers; 07-30-11 at 09:17.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jmart View Post
    Yep. Lee dies have a 1 in 9" twist while Redding has a 1 in 7". And Lee's staking sucks.
    I don't understand this. What does twist have to do with dies?

Feedback Score
    He is drawing an analogy to the 'chart' for comparing features on ARs.

By the way, park under the gas block is bad - as you have another layer of tolerance to deal with so the fit can never be as good.

Feedback Score
    It isn't just runout, though that is one consideration.

In my experience, the lock ring/rubber O-ring system tends to lose adjustment easier. The decap pin likes to creep upward unless one really bears down on the decapper clamp with a wrench.

As far as a direct comparison example, I have both Lee and Redding dies in 6.5 Grendel. When necking down 7.62x39 brass, I lost several cases to Lee dies due to the shoulder collapsing. I also had MANY rounds with visibly crooked necks (they would still chamber, fortunately). When I switched to the Reddings, these problems went away. Lees are also known by several (not my own experience because I switched early on) to overwork brass. Not a big deal if you're leaving much of it on the range, but if you're paying $.70/case, that's not desirable.

I do like that the Lee dies are very affordable and that they come with a shellholder. I also like the Factory Crimp die very much.

If I am likely to only load a few rounds a year, I'll buy the Lee dies. If, on the other hand, I'll be loading a few hundred or thousand rounds, I'll get Redding. Or at least Hornady, RCBS or Lyman.

IMO, it's very akin to DPMS, etc. versus BCM, etc. One "tier" is for casual use. The higher tier is for more hard core use.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast