Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for a tactical sniper???

Feedback Score

Suggestions for a tactical sniper???

So ive got my ar pretty much built and now I'm bored lol. Now it's time to start on a tactical bolt gun. I have a 10 year old savage model 111 .270 but am thinking about selling it and buying something else. What would be a good rifle for around $700 without scope? What caliber? Scope suggestion for around $4-500?

Looks like a Remington model 700 of some sort chambered in .308win is pretty popular with alot of people. Scopes seem to go all over the place.

My friend is curious on this subject too. He's looking at a 700 vtr .308 in digi camo and a millett scope. Good choice or no?

Thanks for the help guys, helped me out alot on the ar so figured this would be good for bolt gun help too!!

Feedback Score
    Remington SPS Tactical AAC-SD.

Used Leupold Mark 4.

Feedback Score
    Whatever you get, go shoot it until you know what you want out of a rifle.

Then come back and ask specific questions.

The current trend of asking for advice without ever mentioning what you want to do with it, and at what ranges... is disturbing.

Not to come down to hard on you, but think of it. This is like asking someone what kind of vehicle you should buy, not knowing whether you are going to be commuting 80 miles every day, or if you plan to take it mudding. You follow?

If you want valuable and thoughtful answers, you must ask pointed and specific questions and provide enough information as to your intended use to give the would be answerer's SOME clue as to your intentions.
    Greg Dykstra
    Primal Rights, Inc.

Feedback Score
    Thanks to the first guy. And to the second, I figured the words "tactical sniper" would be a good enough description of what it would be used for and at what ranges... Not that my targets would be people unless SHTF but that's what it would be used for. I mean what did tactical sniper imply to you? And how far does a sniper shoot with a .308 bolt gun? Usually within 800 meters correct?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    The word tactical gets way over used these days. Tactical means the application of tactics. There is no reason to call a sniper a tactical sniper.
    Pat
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumanbmx View Post
    Remington SPS Tactical AAC-SD.
    This is an excellent choice for the money.

Also, consider one of Mel's builds at Sniper Central:
    http://www.snipercentral.com/scrifle...ml?packageid=1

http://www.snipercentral.com/scrifle...ml?packageid=2
    Last edited by austinN4; 07-30-11 at 11:12. Reason: Corrected name

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kymudder08 View Post
    Thanks to the first guy. And to the second, I figured the words "tactical sniper" would be a good enough description of what it would be used for and at what ranges... Not that my targets would be people unless SHTF but that's what it would be used for. I mean what did tactical sniper imply to you? And how far does a sniper shoot with a .308 bolt gun? Usually within 800 meters correct?
    I would say if you don't know the answers to those questions already, what you are looking for is a bolt-action for precision target shooting. Start from that premise and go forward.

Words mean things around here.

Feedback Score
    Thanks guys. Mels builds look sick! And that ss looks like something worth while. Only thing is I've never used a scope with knobs like that and have yet to understand how they work

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kymudder08 View Post
    "tactical sniper" means you've watched too many movies... and don't have a clue what the hell you are talking about. That's what it means to me. It may mean something else to others.

Your posts are comedic... in the extreme.

I shoot my 18" barreled 308 to 1200yds. Is that a tactical sniper? lol
    Greg Dykstra
    Primal Rights, Inc.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast