Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for a tactical sniper???

Feedback Score
    First, If you really want to learn the way of the rifle, you are going to have to shoot a lot, and possibly continue to ask questions on forums like this one. The first thing you need to do is change your choice of wording. Snipers are in the military or law enforcement. The rifles they use, are sniper rifles.

Civilians, (you and me) and military personnel or ex-military personnel whom were never snipers (me) call their rifles "rifles" or "precision rifle" or "long range rifle." To call them sniper rifles when not in the use of a sniper is annoying to those whom are snipers. Even most of them have come to call their rifles precision rifles. The anti-gun left, likes to label all bolt action rifles "sniper rifles" attaching us to the movies and all the assassination that takes place in the movies with the evil "sniper rifles."

Telling us what distance you intend to shoot, will allow us to suggest more accurately which cartridges and rifles you should be looking at. The term "tactical sniper" doesn't mean shit to us in that regard. Yardage, that is something that we want to know. 800yds max? Ok, a 308 of any barrel length will work. Longer barrels will get it done with authority, while the shorter barrels not so much.

Optics, well there isn't much available for a "tactical" scope in the $500 range. Although, the word "tactical" in reference to optics holds more water than does a rifle. As most people think tactical in scopes, are thinking exposed turrets, matching reticle/turrets, first focal plane reticle, etc.

Super Sniper's... maybe the uber cheap junk like bsa, ncstar, and barska. If you would save up just a little more money your options would be MUCH improved. For instance, a Vortex Viper PST mil/mil/FFP 4-16x50 would be an excellent choice. Liberty Optics has them for $850. Best deal going in my opinion. Bushnell elite tactical would be a close second choice. Weaver, and a few others have also stepped into the sub-$1000 "tactical" optics arena.

Ask pointed specific questions and we will bend over backwards to answer them for you. Lots of informed opinions here. Lose the video game/hollywood movie verbage and speak in plain english. However, if you just want a "sniper rifle" so you can call it that and be cool among your friends... I'm sure there are plenty of opinions for that here as well.
    Greg Dykstra
    Primal Rights, Inc.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kymudder08 View Post
    Thanks to the first guy. And to the second, I figured the words "tactical sniper" would be a good enough description of what it would be used for and at what ranges... Not that my targets would be people unless SHTF but that's what it would be used for. I mean what did tactical sniper imply to you? And how far does a sniper shoot with a .308 bolt gun? Usually within 800 meters correct?
    The words "tactical sniper" implies, to me, that someone has 15 pounds of accessories on his BM AR and now wants a zombie bolt gun to "reach out and touch 'em." Like others, it also implies that you're a wannabe. YMMV.

Are you going to be bench shooting? Crawling around in your paintball ghillie suit?

Have you done any long distance shooting before? If you want to be like a "sniper" then you will have to spend thousands on a set up, even more on optics, then study the art of precision shooting WITH YOUR SPOTTER for a long time before getting behind the trigger.

Do you have a range for 800m? A good enough spotting scope to tell you your distances? Can you call your shots and get good dope? Do you know how temperature, humidity, wind, etc, etc, affects your 800m shots?
    Last edited by Travis B; 07-30-11 at 14:10.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by orkan View Post

Super Sniper's... maybe the uber cheap junk like bsa, ncstar, and barska. If you would save up just a little more money your options would be MUCH improved.
    Super Sniper's are the same as BSA, NC STAR, etc.??

Feedback Score
    uh... no. Where the hell do you see that? It was simply a reference to optics in or under the prices he gave.

You are right though, I should be hurt for mentioning those shit brands in the same sentence as anything else.
    Greg Dykstra
    Primal Rights, Inc.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by orkan View Post

You are right though, I should be hurt for mentioning those shit brands in the same sentence as anything else.
    No shit.

Feedback Score
    A more general answer would be: 700 in varmint/police contour. This gives you maybe 6-8 models to choose from, with barrel length being a main question (20 or 26) and factory installed features as the second (stock upgrade, threaded barrel, thread pitch). Of course it's easy to do aftermarket to the 700, and cutting to desired length is $50 or less, so don't let that deter you (unless you want the threaded AAC, which is possibly the best all-around choice).

Get quality bases/rings, like Warne (less $) up to Seekins, Badger, etc. Your call on 1 or 2 piece base. I'm fine with Leupold 2 piece. If you go 1 piece and everyone will tell you $35 EGW, consider they use softer aluminum at that price. They also have "heavy duty" bases for $70 which are more comparable to others in composition. Glass like SWFA SS or Vortex would be my top 2 at that $.

For tactical sniping, I require a spotter on a KAC SR with a short dot, range finding 20x binos, etc. Be sure to update with your decisions

ETA: oh, and stay away from the dumb triangle barrels. On the Millet glass, I keep getting tempted on that, too, but am blessed to have said "no" so far. Still saving pennies for Vortex.
    Last edited by carbinero; 07-31-11 at 01:33.
    "Men speak of natural rights, but I challenge any one to show where in nature any rights existed or were recognized until there was established for their declaration and protection a duly promulgated body of corresponding laws." --Calvin Coolidge

Feedback Score
    Only reason I called it a tactical sniper instead of precision rifle is bc to me a precision rifle is an ar spr. And yes I have about a 3000 meter/yard field behind my house so 800 is just fine. And before someone asks if I have permission, no I don't bc it's my land. I shoot alot, at least once a week several hundred rounds a piece on my 1911 and g17 as well as my bcm ar so finding time to shoot and learn the bolt gun wouldn't be an issue. The SS scope someone posted looks like a good buy so that's prolly what I'd end up getting. And I already settled with .308 win so caliber is decided. Now I'll prolly go for a model 700 of some kind now

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Only reason I called it a tactical sniper instead of precision rifle is bc to me a precision rifle is an ar spr. And yes I have about a 3000 meter/yard field behind my house so 800 is just fine. And before someone asks if I have permission, no I don't bc it's my land. I shoot alot, at least once a week several hundred rounds a piece on my 1911 and g17 as well as my bcm ar so finding time to shoot and learn the bolt gun wouldn't be an issue. The SS scope someone posted looks like a good buy so that's prolly what I'd end up getting. And I already settled with .308 win so caliber is decided. Now I'll prolly go for a model 700 of some kind now
    That's PROBABLY going to be a great set up. Good luck.

Feedback Score
    Group:

The OP can go with a 700 SPS .308 and get a aftermarket stock.
    Good idea...bad?

Feedback Score
    I mean what did tactical sniper imply to you? And how far does a sniper shoot with a .308 bolt gun? Usually within 800 meters correct?
    It is not uncommon for a urban/city LEO who fills the role of sniper to shoot from 50 to 200 yards. Typically....one of those across the street from another building to take out a hostage taker, etc. In contrast to this, a military sniper could be doing 50 yds out to 1500+ yards.

As was mentioned, using descriptive writing, the first time around, will go a long way in helping others understand what you want without wasted exchanges trying to figure out what you actually meant to say.

FWIW, your Savage being 10 years old is a little long in the tooth, compared to what Savage is putting out today. They might very well be the most accurate out of the box rifle being mass produced today. Certainly worth taking a look at. The 10 series have some nice ones available in a number of various configurations.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast