Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for a tactical sniper???

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cheaptrick View Post
    Group:

The OP can go with a 700 SPS .308 and get a aftermarket stock.
    Good idea...bad?
    Well, if he goes with the 20" tactical version he'll certainly learn a lot about wind.

I'd go with the AAC model instead. Still learn a lot about wind, but it has a 1:10 twist which handles the heavier pills better, and comes threaded in case the OP want's to use a brake or can at some point. It will still benefit from a re-stock and timney trigger though.
    Greg Dykstra
    Primal Rights, Inc.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by arizona98tj View Post
    It is not uncommon for a urban/city LEO who fills the role of sniper to shoot from 50 to 200 yards. Typically....one of those across the street from another building to take out a hostage taker, etc. In contrast to this, a military sniper could be doing 50 yds out to 1500+ yards.

As was mentioned, using descriptive writing, the first time around, will go a long way in helping others understand what you want without wasted exchanges trying to figure out what you actually meant to say.

FWIW, your Savage being 10 years old is a little long in the tooth, compared to what Savage is putting out today. They might very well be the most accurate out of the box rifle being mass produced today. Certainly worth taking a look at. The 10 series have some nice ones available in a number of various configurations.
    When I went through my basic leo sniper course in 2007 the number they threw out for the average LEO sniper shot was 55 yards.
    Pat
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by cheaptrick View Post
    Group:

The OP can go with a 700 SPS .308 and get a aftermarket stock.
    Good idea...bad?
    That recommendation is VERY vague. What brand stock? Is he bedding the receiver? What about optics? Etc, etc.

Feedback Score
    I think unless you have lots of money, it's better to buy MarineTex or Devcon 10110 and bed whatever you got. I would spend more money on glass before a new stock (for the under $1,000 crowd, like myself). And yes I like the 1:10 twist part of the AAC suggestion.
    "Men speak of natural rights, but I challenge any one to show where in nature any rights existed or were recognized until there was established for their declaration and protection a duly promulgated body of corresponding laws." --Calvin Coolidge

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by t42beal13t View Post
    That recommendation is VERY vague. What brand stock? Is he bedding the receiver? What about optics? Etc, etc.
    I realize that. I was merely suggesting he get the basic rifle and go from there.
    I believe it was you, Sir who thought that "Some kind of .308 Remington 700 with a 3-9x SS" would PROBABLY be a great set up, so your comment was at least as VAGUE as mine is, I would think.

Stock?? Well, there again, I could hardly recommend one kind of stock to someone, who has no clue of what he really wants, or know what he can afford.
    AI, McMillian, B&C, etc???

I was just trying to help, as I think you were. Regards.
    Last edited by cheaptrick; 08-01-11 at 11:46.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    How about....."glass, gun, class" recommendations instead of a tangent on bedding?

Feedback Score
    If you're thinking an AAC 700 with a $700 budget, there's no room for an aftermarket stock. Likewise calculus applies for $500 glass, assuming a minimum requirement for solid mounting.
    "Men speak of natural rights, but I challenge any one to show where in nature any rights existed or were recognized until there was established for their declaration and protection a duly promulgated body of corresponding laws." --Calvin Coolidge

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kymudder08 View Post
    Thanks guys. Mels builds look sick! And that ss looks like something worth while. Only thing is I've never used a scope with knobs like that and have yet to understand how they work
    I posted these videos just before I read this thread. This might be a good start for your search on understanding the functions of whichever optic you choose. Best of luck.

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=86153
    Last edited by longball; 08-02-11 at 10:44.
    "These skills, just like the fundamentals, are not received on birth. They must be taught, understood, and practiced to maintain proficiency. And like martial arts and copulation, they aren't learned from the internet, a video game, or a magazine article." - Failure2Stop

Feedback Score
    http://www.primalrights.com/forum/article.php?a=2562

http://www.primalrights.com/forum/article.php?a=2607

Rifle sighting systems part 1 and 2 will help you understand how those turrets work.
    Greg Dykstra
    Primal Rights, Inc.

Feedback Score
    Thanks guys. Does the gun accept magazine kit fromthe factory or do I need to buy an aftermarket stock such as Aic?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast