Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $369 2d Gen G17 -- get it?

Feedback Score

$369 2d Gen G17 -- get it?

At the fun show today I came across a 1995-vintage 2d-gen G17 for $369. It's a police trade-in; has faded night-sights and an 8# connector. Comes with three FML hicaps w/ 9mm3 followers. I'm looking for a complement to my newly-purchased G19 and don't intend to carry it much; it would serve as a spare and as a home-defense gun. It should still be there tomorrow morning if I wanted to go get it.

I was hoping to get another 3d gen G19, but I'm wondering if this G17 is a good enough deal that I should just get it instead and spend the difference on mags.
    Last edited by ClintHall; 07-30-11 at 18:16.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    The great thing about Glocks are that you can pretty much replace all the parts with original quite cheaply. $369.00 seems a bit high but it depends where you are. A new Glock around here is only about $120.00 more. I do, however still like the Gen 2s.
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Don't know if the price is a great deal, but for me a home defense
    weapon needs to have a light mounted on it. That's a no go with a
    Gen2. Just my .02.
    "Do not mistake my silence for compliance or concession,
    I most probably have simply stopped casting pearls".
    Hayden 2002.

http://fastacademy.net/wp/

Feedback Score
    370 is a good price on a used Gen 2 G17. Like the poster above if it is your only HD pistol maybe not - but they are fantastic shooters. The sights and the connector are easy to replace.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    $325.00 is more in line for used 2nd Gen Model-17's I have been seeing and that depends on condition.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Phila PD View Post
    $325.00 is more in line for used 2nd Gen Model-17's I have been seeing and that depends on condition.
    Really? You and I shop at very different places it seems mi amigo. A gun like that would go for 360 no problem here in Oregon.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Really? You and I shop at very different places it seems mi amigo. A gun like that would go for 360 no problem here in Oregon.
    There is a shop in my area which does a lot of Police trade-ins on a regular basis so they see a lot of late 2nd Gen Model-17's when the PD's switch to .40S&W or .45acp. I have purchased mint condition late 2nd Gen trades-ins 9mm and .40S&W for $325.00 so that is what I base my reply on.

Price may also depend on the inventory the vendor has to turn as I remember CDNN running some decent sales in the past which were in same price range from time to time.
    Last edited by PA PATRIOT; 07-31-11 at 11:19.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Geez, I'd be a poor man if I had access to ~$325 gen 2 G19's/G17's... They go for at least $400 around here, though I don't know why (a gen 3 would be only a few dollars more).

The '17s would be less attractive than the '19s though. I prefer a rail on a full size gun, but the 19 is a CCW piece and not something I ever intend to put a light on.
    Last edited by SpookyPistolero; 07-31-11 at 11:42.
    The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. - Ayn Rand

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SpookyPistolero View Post
    Geez, I'd be a poor man if I had access to ~$325 gen 2 G19's/G17's... They go for at least $400 around here, though I don't know why (a gen 3 would be only a few dollars more).

The '17s would be less attractive than the '19s though. I prefer a rail on a full size gun, but the 19 is a CCW piece and not something I ever intend to put a light on.
    Agreed. I have a 17 , 19 and 26 and am thinking that if I get another 19 it will either be a Gen 2 or a Gen 4.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the input, guys. Took a pass on the 2d Gen G17 -- and found a used 3d Gen (2004) G17 with factory NS for $390 instead.
    Last edited by ClintHall; 07-31-11 at 16:44.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast