Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Back on the fitness wagon

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Back on the fitness wagon

My Lt. lost a ton of weight after watching a show on TV about these kids losing weight working out and what not all summer and he said to himself if a 14 year old kid can do it he could. I decided it was time for me to get in shape again too. But this time I am trying to do something that I can maintain. I have cut back on portions quite a bit, I eat salads a lot now as well. I was working out on an eliptical machine for 45 minutes a day 4 a week and have lost 18 pounds in the last 6 weeks. Today I decided to step it up a notch and run outside. It was grueling and I only went 2 miles but its a start. I started at 298 and today I am 279 and I have 80 more pounds to go.
    Pat
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    Good for you Popo! Don't just do all cardio to lose the weight though. It's critical to build muscle mass at the same time. The more of it the more efficient your body will burn the fat. If you going losing that kind of weight with out lifting, you're going to lose lots of muscle with it. It's a good cycle as oppossed to the vicious one. Guys with lots of muscle can eat anything they want. The muscle just burns it right up. So make sure to interject weightlifting into your routine as soon as possible. Keep it up..you can do it!~
    Last edited by Just a Jarhead; 08-01-11 at 03:32.

Feedback Score
    I second working in weights with your weight loss.

I did high reps of relatively low weight combined with low impact aerobics (elliptical, walking) and it worked for me.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I just started up as well and I'm surprising myself with how much fun I'm having getting back in shape this time. I've got to crap the last few years. I've tried to get back in shape in the past only, to go right back to eating like crap and drinking too much beer in short order. But, this time I feel extremely motivated and I think one of the main reasons is this forum. A bunch of coworkers and I entered a "warrior dash" in October. It's basically a 5K with a few silly obstacles and mud. Never entered an official "race" before I'm looking forward to it. It looks like a lot of fun. They run and race all the time, so I've got to step it up. I just added weights to my routine as well and I'm feeling great. Keep it up Popo!

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Good for you. It kills me how many overweight "tactical shooter" types we have.

Feedback Score
    Hey, ya'll! Get a kettlebell. This is the best exercise device ever! Wish I had known about it years ago as I would be in much better condition today with less joint pain.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Ran again today and now I am at 275. Some water weight I am sure. My legs are sore but the run today was easier than yeasterday. I will start working weights in. Anyone have an idea for a simple 30 minute weight working I could include with my running.
    pat
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskapopo View Post
    Ran again today and now I am at 275. Some water weight I am sure. My legs are sore but the run today was easier than yeasterday. I will start working weights in. Anyone have an idea for a simple 30 minute weight working I could include with my running.
    pat
    I'm kinda stalling at 235, but I feel great. I just googled a weekly routine for dumbells for starters. I'll shoot it to you when I get home if you like. I have a set of Bowflex "SelectTech" 10-90lb, that are finally being put to use. To be honest with you, I hate the gyms in my area so this is working out nicely for now. I've been using those and good ole fasion PT. I finally got an iphone and there are some pretty cool apps for running. I like the Nike+ app. The key for me is at least I'm doing something and sticking with it.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    274 today on the scale after a 3.1 mile run in 45 minutes. Yes I know still very slow but working to improve on each run.
    Pat
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskapopo View Post
    Anyone have an idea for a simple 30 minute weight working I could include with my running.
    pat
    Without knowing age or workout history...

Since you are getting into it from what sounds like not much training, I'd take it easy and just stick to the basic core exercises. Bench press, straight barbell curls, triceps extensions, lat pull-downs, then leg extensions and leg curls. Just the basics.

I'd be concerned about your back and knees. TAKE IT EASY to start with. You are making great progress. A quick back or knee injury could bring it to a screeching halt. KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!

IMHO, I'd find someone local that you trust that works out regularly, and have them help you get started. If you can afford it, I'd highly recommend just a couple of sessions with a personal trainer to point you in the correct direction. Stay away from the fancy fan-boy workouts and just do the basics with light weights to start.
    U.S. Army vet. -- Retired 25 year LEO.

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast