Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Back on the fitness wagon

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Det-Sog View Post
    Without knowing age or workout history...

Since you are getting into it from what sounds like not much training, I'd take it easy and just stick to the basic core exercises. Bench press, straight barbell curls, triceps extensions, lat pull-downs, then leg extensions and leg curls. Just the basics.

I'd be concerned about your back and knees. TAKE IT EASY to start with. You are making great progress. A quick back or knee injury could bring it to a screeching halt. KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!

IMHO, I'd find someone local that you trust that works out regularly, and have them help you get started. If you can afford it, I'd highly recommend just a couple of sessions with a personal trainer to point you in the correct direction. Stay away from the fancy fan-boy workouts and just do the basics with light weights to start.
    Thanks will give those a try. At my last department I usually worked out with one of the PT studs and just did what they told me. I miss their knowledge base now.
    Pat
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    Sorry I can't be there to hit the gym with you. Just take your time and give your body time to adapt. Throw in some light leg presses too.
    U.S. Army vet. -- Retired 25 year LEO.

Feedback Score
    I changed my lifestyle in Feb of this year.

Went from 233 to 193 and my goal is 180.

Its the food you eat - at least in my case....

Feedback Score
    66 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskapopo View Post
    8-8-11
    3.5 mile run in 50 minutes.

Still need to add in weights been lazy in that department.
    My goal is 195.
    Pat
    Keep on it! I'm just starting my fitness journey. Quit smoking last year in July. 6'2" and 300 pounds today on my 30th birthday. "Ran" 2.5 miles the other day in just under 40 minutes. I feel bad for letting myself get here, but like you, am tired of being here.
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms..."
    - Richard Henry Lee, 1788

Feedback Score

Thumbs up Great work

I'm so proud of you and I don't even know you!! Great work, and watch out for that running in the heat. REALLY!!

And if a fourteen year old can do it, it doesn't mean us older peeps can do it. You know what I mean? Well, things seem a lot harder for me now that I'm older, and, I guess, it really shouldn't be that way! hahah.

My son needs to lose weight after spending the summer with his other parent. He gained 18 pounds!!! His doctor keeps looking at me to trim him down, and I'm going to make use of these posts in this thread, I want to check out what you call the marksmen training. Interesting. Youtube, here me comes!

OT. what is moil? lol

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    8-8-11
    3.5 mile run in 50 minutes.

Still need to add in weights been lazy in that department.
    My goal is 195.
    Pat
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    How tall are you?

You should adopt Defoor's drills for marksmanship. He had drills where you must run to full exertion.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    4 years ago I was up around 245 myself (6'2"). I ate whatever, didn't really put any effort in to my health. Then two guys I worked with who were in their mid thirties (I was just coming up on 30 at that time) had heart attacks. That was the first time I started thinking about my health seriously.

I began running and got a little overenthusiastic...stress fractures in both legs!

Cost me about 6 months total, so be careful. Slow and steady gets you where you want to go. I got back at it, and took control of my diet and started eating well and slowly ramped up the running.

I weigh 195 today, about 12% body fat and I run a 5k/3 mile in about 22 minutes. I recently had a physical done as part of an insurance thing, and was advised that my heart is healthier than a fit teenager's. In fact they reduced my life insurance premiums by 35% because I am in the lowest risk category across the board - my insurance guy said that in his entire career, he's only seen people placed in that category three times.

So what you are trying to do is 100% achievable. It is all a matter of sticking with it.

For me, the big thing was just making the right decisions about how much I needed to be eating. Once you get a handle on diet, everything else is gravy, which in metaphorical form contains no calories, which is handy.
    Full disclosure: I'm the editor of Calibre Magazine, which is Canada's gun magazine. In the past I've done consulting work for different manufacturers and OEM suppliers, but not currently. M4C's disclosure policy doesn't seem to cover me but we do have advertisers, although I don't handle that side of things and in general I do not know who is paying us at any given time.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Hope you guys don't mind if I update my progress here.
    Today 3.5 miles in 49 minutes. Shaved 1 minute off my time.
    Weighed in at 270 that is 26 pounds lost since I started 2 months ago.
    Pat
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlelebowski View Post
    How tall are you?

You should adopt Defoor's drills for marksmanship. He had drills where you must run to full exertion.
    I am 5 10
    Pat
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast