Page 1 of 55 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Facepalm worthy moments in CCW...

Feedback Score

Facepalm worthy moments in CCW...

So the following event inspired me to post this thread-

I was running some standards drill with a buddy (who has already done some cringeworthy inducing things with his carry guns, including buying a long slide setup for his G32 explicitly for carry... the longer sight radius is apparently super important to him) when his kel-tec PF9 had an interesting malfunction. While shooting his PF9, he did not let his trigger out long enough for the reset and when he pulled it to shoot the target, the firingpin went forward but did not have the force to pierce the primer and he was left with a dead trigger.

His reaction? " OH not a big deal! I'll just learn to make sure to let the trigger all the way out! " When I asked him if he thought he would remember that with somebody shooting at him, he seemed a little upset.

This was the same range trip where he debuted his draw from his new ThunderWear/Smartcarry setup. With the same PF9.

My favorite moment, though, was the smug look on his face when he told me that he got the gun at a steal. Only $200! I smiled and kept shooting.

Anybody else have any buddies who carry and don't *quite* get it?
    Last edited by Nephrology; 08-01-11 at 16:10.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    So the following event inspired me to post this thread-

I was running some standards drill with a buddy (who has already done some cringeworthy inducing things with his carry guns, including buying a long slide setup for his G32 explicitly for carry... the longer sight radius is apparently super important to him) when his kel-tec PF9 had an interesting malfunction. While shooting his PF9, he did not let his trigger out long enough for the reset and when he pulled it to shoot the target, the firingpin went forward but did not have the force to pierce the primer and he was left with a dead trigger.

His reaction? " OH not a big deal! I'll just learn to make sure to let the trigger all the way out! " When I asked him if he thought he would remember that with somebody shooting at him, he seemed a little upset.

This was the same range trip where he debuted his draw from his new ThunderWear/Smartcarry setup. With the same PF9.

My favorite moment, though, was the smug look on his face when he told me that he got the gun at a steal. Only $200! I smiled and kept shooting.

Anybody else have any buddies who carry and don't *quite* get it?
    No.

Perhaps it's a bad thing. Once I decide someone's an idiot about something important, it's hard for me to want to be around them. That's why I have so much trouble understanding these "My brother-in-law says Tasco is the Navy Delta Force scope they use in asscrackistan! how can I convince him otherwise??" Who gives a ****? Shine him on down the road.

:-)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by QuietShootr View Post
    No.

Perhaps it's a bad thing. Once I decide someone's an idiot about something important, it's hard for me to want to be around them. That's why I have so much trouble understanding these "My brother-in-law says Tasco is the Navy Delta Force scope they use in asscrackistan! how can I convince him otherwise??" Who gives a ****? Shine him on down the road.

:-)
    believe me it is not the kind of friendship that is destined to last....

Feedback Score
    A dude I used to work with carried a 10mm 1911 of some sort with a 6'' barrel, and fiber optic sights, and claimed that it was in case he was engaged at a target 200 yards away...

I asked how that would be self defence, and he replied something awesome:

''The Japanese army ****ed with us in Pearl Harbor... So we nuked 'em. That was thousands of miles away, and it was self defence.''
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Salad0892 View Post
    A dude I used to work with carried a 10mm 1911 of some sort with a 6'' barrel, and fiber optic sights, and claimed that it was in case he was engaged at a target 200 yards away...

I asked how that would be self defence, and he replied something awesome:

''The Japanese army ****ed with us in Pearl Harbor... So we nuked 'em. That was thousands of miles away, and it was self defence.''
    Yeah, I should add that this was more or less his justification for the G32 + long slide monstrosity he is building for himself. He wants a "carbine in a holster." He has developed an antipathy for any cartridge that fails to go 1600FPS out the barrel, which is why he splurged and dropped nearly 700 dollars on the 32 with all that crap to go with it.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I sold an XD .40 about a month ago.
    Around a week later my regular shooting buddy and I went to the range, he shows up about an hour later with the pistol on his hip, I asked him how it was workin for him...

He replies with "The only time I got to shoot it was the other day when I dropped the slide at home and it went off!!" He exclaimed like it was funny

I said "well keep your stupid finger off the trigger when you chamber a round" He argued up and down that it was....I owned the gun for 2 years without a single AD/ND

The rest of the range trip sucked due to paranoia of being hit with anothe ND. Needless to say I havent been to the range with hime since
    Quote Originally Posted by Split66 View Post
    I wouldnt listen to BCMjunkie. His brown camo clashes like hell with his surroundings. His surroundings are obviously pinkish and lacey and have big hooties.

Instagram Dangertastic
    Danger@Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/m41979/

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    Gentlemen, lead your horses to water. If [When?] one of these boneheads "makes the news" it'll be ammunition to be used against the rest of us.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Well, up here in Canada CCW is effectively non-existent. But we have no shortage of guys one puck short of a hockey game.

There are still people here that are 100% convinced that, for example, the 1911 is still the premiere issue pistol for all the best LE and Mil units, and that "plastic guns" are popular for the sole reason that they're cheap.

As a matter of fact, I have often suspected that the lack of a CCW option for most Canadians means that even stupider beliefs are held on to longer, because few guns other than hunting rifles and shotguns get used anywhere other than a range, and it would be illegal to do otherwise. (Canadians, please do not jump in here and start explaining about Sig Classic Greens or CZ858s...I'm well aware but you know what I mean.)

Since nobody outside of LE etc will use their pistols anywhere off a range, ever, what exactly IS the difference between an STI and a Colt? What IS the advantage of a P30 over an XD9? Many of the differences are almost moot, because the most we're going to do is lose a stage in competition. Nobody is defending their life with a pistol up here.

People buy cheap guns, or just plain lousy guns, because they can't tell the difference, and the stakes are lower as well. So whatever dumb things you hear...we may hear even worse up here.
    Full disclosure: I'm the editor of Calibre Magazine, which is Canada's gun magazine. In the past I've done consulting work for different manufacturers and OEM suppliers, but not currently. M4C's disclosure policy doesn't seem to cover me but we do have advertisers, although I don't handle that side of things and in general I do not know who is paying us at any given time.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Currently in a CCW class designed for Marines getting out. Its by far the scariest thing Ive ever seen. We havent even got to the live fire portions and already the Marines are pointing the blue guns in their mouths and at each other. Jesus.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LowSpeed_HighDrag View Post
    Currently in a CCW class designed for Marines getting out. Its by far the scariest thing Ive ever seen. We havent even got to the live fire portions and already the Marines are pointing the blue guns in their mouths and at each other. Jesus.
    I am Jack's total lack of surprise. I had to have a discussion that turned physical a couple of years ago with a newly-returned-from-Iraq Marine who thought it was funny to point his CCW at people. There is a subset of soldiers/Marines who think ****ing around with loaded weapons is either a)funny or b) a sign of machismo. Generally, this is a sign of abject failure on the part of their staff NCOs and leadership.

Page 1 of 55 1231151 ... LastLast