Page 2 of 55 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Facepalm worthy moments in CCW...

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Most of the scariest people/things I've seen in the firearm industry are from current and former LEO/military personnel.

Here's the thing. The ratio of firearm-related idiots on this board is probably FAR FAR lower than that of a police department or group of military personnel. Why? Because it's our hobby and we enjoy guns. They have guns because it's their job to have guns. I know countless cops who never touch theirs unless they are required to train or something for it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by aaron_c View Post
    Most of the scariest people/things I've seen in the firearm industry are from current and former LEO/military personnel.

Here's the thing. The ratio of firearm-related idiots on this board is probably FAR FAR lower than that of a police department or group of military personnel. Why? Because it's our hobby and we enjoy guns. They have guns because it's their job to have guns. I know countless cops who never touch theirs unless they are required to train or something for it.
    The buddy of mine from my stories is an interesting breed in that he is a civilian (and based on his political bent, will be for his whole life) and he is generally a very safe shooter, which I totally respect him for.

Most of his, um, more colorful opinions have to do with which guns/ammo are appropriate for self defense and what kind of scenarios exactly constitutes self defense.

I have witnessed the following things from him in the past few months -

1. Has told me that a Glock 21 with a .45 Super barrel is the ULTIMATE HOME DEFENSE WEAPON and he will probably buy such a setup soon.

2. ".223/9mm is a poodle shooter". We've all heard that one before

3. Seen him practice transitions from handgun to Keltec Sub2000 (9mm Carbine) from his backpack. G18 mag zip-tied to the fore end for a quick reload )

4. .357 SIG is a LETHAL MAN STOPPER because of HYDROSTATIC SHOCK. He also refuses to buy jhps from anybody but Doubletap for this reason even though better ammo (Federal, Winchester, Speer...) are available for 1/2 the price and with far better components.

5. Bought a knockoff cheapo Bi-Pod and a 8 dollar 100 lumen flashlight from DealExtreme and mounted it on his Ruger Mini 14 in an ATI stock (mount for the light, of course, also from DealExtreme)

6. Seen him spend 1g on Keltec products in 1 day (2PF9s and aforementioned Keltec Sub2000s).

7. Sings the praises of the "extremely accurate" DPMS AR-10 his dad owns.

8. Built a "G17XL" or a g17 with the longest slide/barrel combo possible from Lone wolf. Was confused when he couldnt get it to run (Hint: there is a reason that slide weight and recoil spring weight are carefully calibrated...). Absolutely convinced he'll sell the whole setup online again for basically as much as he paid for it.

I could go on. Cops and .mil are certainly vulnerable to a certain kind of gun retardation but at least it isnt plain embarrassing like some of the hillbilly folk BS I am occasionally subjected to...

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by aaron_c View Post

I can VOUCH and PROVE that. Your statement is 100% correct, and actually its the majority of LE/MIL. I have quite a few cop buddies that either
    A) Only shot when they have to qualify
    B) carry off duty when they travel out of town.

There is one guy (LEO), that carries 6 extra mags on the front of his duty belt, (hes one of my favorite people to talk to). But he carries all the extra mags because of lack of practice and he's a bad shot.

I always thought he was just joking when he said "I cant hit shit! Why you think I carry so many mags!" Until a couple other people told me that he barely qualifies. Hes a good guy though.

I used to think that cops were amazing at shooting...till I started shooting with them. Its a common myth
    Quote Originally Posted by Split66 View Post
    I wouldnt listen to BCMjunkie. His brown camo clashes like hell with his surroundings. His surroundings are obviously pinkish and lacey and have big hooties.

Instagram Dangertastic
    Danger@Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/m41979/

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    My former stepfather's ccw choices were a .22 mag derringer and a Taurus Judge. How's that for facepalm! He was such a lunatic, that I wouldn't even try to convince him otherwise.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    but at least it isnt plain embarrassing like some of the hillbilly folk BS I am occasionally subjected to...
    There is one such 'tard at my local gun club. He always wants to tell everyone how his POS russian guns are superior to everything else. Him and his inbred son.

As soon as he opens his mouth I pull the trigger.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by QuietShootr View Post
    No.

Perhaps it's a bad thing. Once I decide someone's an idiot about something important, it's hard for me to want to be around them. That's why I have so much trouble understanding these "My brother-in-law says Tasco is the Navy Delta Force scope they use in asscrackistan! how can I convince him otherwise??" Who gives a ****? Shine him on down the road.

:-)

I've gotten to this camp as well. Over 20 years of trying to help, and then having people get butt hurt when I make suggestions, has lead me to let most people fair for themselves unless it's someone I know and who I think will understand that I'm not insulting them, but that they need to put down the "Cheaper than Dirt" catalogue and stop taking what they read in the gun press as gospel.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Having a buddy that you decide to quit shooting with is one thing, family is an altogether different bird. I have some family like that and while I would like to send them on their merry way, you bite your tongue, smile and nod and then keep one eye on them while at the range in order to keep the peace. I do make every excuse under the sun to avoid going to the range with them, but have to go at least once a year. When I'm at their house and they want to show me their most recent purchase, I tell them it's not my speed, but if they like it carry on.

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC Nubby View Post
    Having a buddy that you decide to quit shooting with is one thing, family is an altogether different bird. I have some family like that and while I would like to send them on their merry way, you bite your tongue, smile and nod and then keep one eye on them while at the range in order to keep the peace. I do make every excuse under the sun to avoid going to the range with them, but have to go at least once a year. When I'm at their house and they want to show me their most recent purchase, I tell them it's not my speed, but if they like it carry on.
    I do a safety brief before we shoot if I'm going to be around new shooters or someone that might not be the safest handling weapons. Sometimes it's good to remind myself as well.

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    This thread reminds me of a guy in my unit. Stellar individual but a moron when it comes to CCW. He was all hot to get a Taurus 24/7 and then a subcompact Kel-tec of some flavor. When I told him that I used to work in a pawn shop that sold Kel-Tec and that they are crap his response was "yeah, but they're so small!" He's the kind of guy that has like a dozen shitty guns but thinks a Glock is too indulgent. The thing that really gets me is he's quite competent. I've seen this guy make a first round hit on a Larue popper at 75m with his M9.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mkmckinley View Post
    This thread reminds me of a guy in my unit. Stellar individual but a moron when it comes to CCW. He was all hot to get a Taurus 24/7 and then a subcompact Kel-tec of some flavor. When I told him that I used to work in a pawn shop that sold Kel-Tec and that they are crap his response was "yeah, but they're so small!" He's the kind of guy that has like a dozen shitty guns but thinks a Glock is too indulgent. The thing that really gets me is he's quite competent. I've seen this guy make a first round hit on a Larue popper at 75m with his M9.
    And stories like these are exactly why when someone says "I was in the (fill in the blank), I know about guns!" I just roll my eyes.

Page 2 of 55 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast