Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rem 700 help

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BCmJUnKie View Post
    Does anyone make a BDL or heavy contour for -06?

Sorry to Hi-jack
    Remington makes BDL '06s and several other "BDL" variations. As far as heavy barrels I don't believe Remington makes a heavy barrel but having a blank chambered in 30'06 is a possible option that many have done.
    I digitally inserted Jaba the Hutt into the original Star Wars-Eric Cartman

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtbutt View Post
    I have a Rem 700 SPS-T and I have been slowly building it up over a year now and this is what I know.
    With you having an ADL and wanting a Kwik Klip or DBM means that you will need a BDL Stock or a good deal of inletting. The Kwik Klip looks to be a drop in for BDL stocks so you should, SHOULD, be able to buy that and a BDL stock and be set. Now if you decide to go with a DBM set up you are almost assuredly be required to inlet the stock.
    I have an HS VS take off stock on my SPS-T and I had to dremel out some of the stock to get the X-Mark trigger to work out. Although I worked methodically and slowly it is by no means a pretty job but does the trick. Unless you are set up with a mill and machining knowledge I would suggest sending your stock out to be done.
    Now if you decide to go with a BDL stock you should be able to get away with not having to buy an ADL to BDL conversion kit. That is if you get your DBM and have it installed soon after.
    As to your choices of stock options I personally wouldn't go with a Choate brand. Just my personal preference but I don't like them. B&C is a good brand and out of your proposed options is the route I would take. As for my suggestion, look into HS. I have my HS and I love it. It works for everything I need it to and HS has their own DBM (propietary and I have no personal experience with it) that requires end user modification. For DBM the top quality names that come to my mind are CDI, Badger, and Seekins but you'll have to check if they have LA models. Regardless mags for bolt guns are pretty pricey.
    Now perhaps one of the biggest considerations is what barrel profile do you have? If you have a Sporter or thin profile barrel you'll need a corresponding stock. If you have a varmint contour you'll need that. If you have a sporter and decide to rebarrel with a heavy contour you have lots of sanding to do or will need to buy a new stock.
    To get to 500 with an '06 shouldn't be that much work. As long as you hold your own with your shooting skills 500 should be a fair goal to achieve. I just the other day tagged a shaving cream can at 340 yardswith my 308, at that distance its a MOA target.
    I too have been wanting DBM but I have rethought about the role that my bolt gun will play. Mine is for hunting and long range, I haven't gotten into LR competition shooting in which DBM is beneficial. I will be building an AR 308 to fill my rapid fire LR role. For anything tactical I have my SBR which works fine out to 200 ringing steel off hand. Hope all this rambling gives you quite a bit to think about and make your decision.
    Your last paragraph has made me rethink some things. (As an aside, I haven't bought the 700 yet.) I was just going to get one at walmart, 86 the stock and scope and go from there. . .

But! Perhaps I could just add this damper:

http://www.swissproductsllc.com/

Then, a couple of spacers to allow the barrel to "vibrate uninhibited", a scope mount and decent scope all attached to my beloved K31 (already have some add-ons) and voila. Not much expensive for reasonable solid bolt action rifle. Then I can apply the 1k as a down payment on this:

http://www.centerfireguns.com/armali...er-10tbnf.html

This place gives one a lot to ponder!
    Last edited by Gibson; 08-03-11 at 17:00.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibson View Post
    Your last paragraph has made me rethink some things. (As an aside, I haven't bought the 700 yet.) I was just going to get one at walmart, 86 the stock and scope and go from there. . .

But! Perhaps I could just add this damper:

http://www.swissproductsllc.com/

Then, a couple of spacers to allow the barrel to "vibrate uninhibited", a scope mount and decent scope all attached to my beloved K31 (already have some add-ons) and voila. Not much expensive for reasonable solid bolt action rifle. Then I can apply the 1k as a down payment on this:

http://www.centerfireguns.com/armali...er-10tbnf.html

This place gives one a lot to ponder!
    I've never dealt with dampers but scoping out your current rifle sounds like a plan. But from experience putting a scope on a battle rifle doesn't make it a precision rig. I've dumped enough money into my M1A just to be 90% of the way to dumping it to help fund my AR.
    If you haven't bought the rifle yet look at the various options that are out there. If you are going for 30-06 due to having ammo then you could look at getting an older used rifle. The '06 caliber is an awesome cartidge and has been around for over a century and there are enough guns around chambered for it. If you are wanting to build one up might as well get an older one.
    That way you can use it for practice on shooting, bedding DIY projects etc etc. Once you get proficient and rebarrel or re stock you'll be surprised at how much your skills play into and a few mods can give you a bit of an edge.
    I digitally inserted Jaba the Hutt into the original Star Wars-Eric Cartman

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12