Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Input on NF 2.5-10x32

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Input on NF 2.5-10x32

So im currently searching for a replacement scope for my rem 700. The optic on it was originally purchased as a temporary placeholder till funds allowed, but that never quite happened. Some background on the rifle: it is a LH sps-v with a 20" barrel in a mcm A3 stock.

Ive pretty much settled on the NF 2.5-10x32 as a proper scope for my needs. The rifle is used primarily for target shooting but it is also my hunting rifle. Max range that i can get out to is 400 yards and ranges when hunting whitetail will probably be inside of 200 yards. if going with this optic it will be the mrad turrets and mil dot reticle.

If anyone has any experience with these ranges/applications and this type of scope i am open to any input and suggestions.

Thanks in advance,
    Marco

Feedback Score
    I find little use for magnifications under 4x unless dealing with zero magnification red-dot's on AR's and such. 4x can be used effectively down to less than 25yds, so I fail to see the need for less magnification than that.

A 4-16, or even 3-12 would be on the very low end of what I'd consider.
    Greg Dykstra
    Primal Rights, Inc.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Is there any optic you would suggest for this application?

I do want something durable because this is a field rifle. It just seems that when going mil/mil the prices tend to jump. id like to stay at or under $1500 but have been considering the 3.5-15 nxs which is more.

I really appreciate your input as you definitely have more experience in this field.

Feedback Score
    No need to spend $1500 for mil mil.

Call Scott @ Liberty Optics. He will have Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 mil/mil/ffp within a couple weeks. Great scope for what you are looking to do and will cost much less than $1000. Illuminated reticle, zero stop, defined turrets with great clicks, parallax down to 25yds, excellent reticle, good eye relief. Can't ask for much more at that price.

If you want something right now, then check out the 3-12 bushnell tactical. Its also mil/mil/ffp illuminated but no zero stop, and the reticle is standard mildot instead of the genII style.

I'm sure Scott would be able to set you up with something.

If you want to step up above that, then I'd go with a nightforce F1. Above that, S&B. But you better have your wallet open.
    Last edited by orkan; 08-03-11 at 13:54.
    Greg Dykstra
    Primal Rights, Inc.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by marco.g View Post
    So im currently searching for a replacement scope for my rem 700. The optic on it was originally purchased as a temporary placeholder till funds allowed, but that never quite happened. Some background on the rifle: it is a LH sps-v with a 20" barrel in a mcm A3 stock.

Ive pretty much settled on the NF 2.5-10x32 as a proper scope for my needs. The rifle is used primarily for target shooting but it is also my hunting rifle. Max range that i can get out to is 400 yards and ranges when hunting whitetail will probably be inside of 200 yards. if going with this optic it will be the mrad turrets and mil dot reticle.

If anyone has any experience with these ranges/applications and this type of scope i am open to any input and suggestions.

Thanks in advance,
    Marco
    I don't hunt but I do like my 2.5-10 x32 Nightforce. I have it on my Larue Stealth and I have shot it out to 550 yards against steel targets adn paper ones. Mine has the velocity reticle.
    Pat
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I do like the features of the pst line and definitely like the pricepoint but im not totally sold on the build/glass quality. I'm also leaning to this particular NF model since even at 350-400 yds i was not needing to go past 10x. More mag is always nice, but in this case I'm more concerned with durability, not having zero shift if the scope is impacted, and return to zero of the turrets.

Feedback Score
    I realize what you are saying. Vortex does have a reputation for good products and service... but they obviously don't have the combat experience that nightforce does.

You won't hear me say bad shit about nightforce stuff other than their price maintenance schemes are anti-American... just like premier and a few other manufacturers.

It is just my experience that magnifications under 4x are pointless unless a CQB type setup, in which case anything beyond a zero magnification/no parallax red dot is too much. So the answer is to hang and RMR off your 4-whatever power scope.

Seriously though... spend the money and get something mil/mil/ffp or moa/moa/ffp.
    Greg Dykstra
    Primal Rights, Inc.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    In my opinion, a NF is way overkill for deer at the ranges you mentioned. I would not personally spend the $$$ for a NF unless it was a duty or competition gun, maybe an SD gun...

For deer out to 400 you might look at the Weaver 3-10x tactical if you want mil/mil. Not FF but plenty of optic to get you on 200 yd deer as you mentioned. And you can use the other $600 for ammo or camo or something.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=598484

Feedback Score
    Hitting a deer isn't as important as hitting a steel target? Hmm... interesting viewpoint. ... one that I don't agree with.

Optics cost or selection has only to do with the mission at hand and which one will most likely aid you in putting the round where it belongs. Cost as it relates to deer or steel or paper is irrelevant.
    Greg Dykstra
    Primal Rights, Inc.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by orkan View Post
    Hitting a deer isn't as important as hitting a steel target? Hmm... interesting viewpoint. ... one that I don't agree with.

Optics cost or selection has only to do with the mission at hand and which one will most likely aid you in putting the round where it belongs. Cost as it relates to deer or steel or paper is irrelevant.
    I agree with what you are saying. Think the poster meant most hunting situations at least up here involve large targets at relatively short ranges. For example in moose hunting most hunters take shots at 150 yards or less. on a huge vital area.
    Pat
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast