Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Input on NF 2.5-10x32

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    As an avid whitetail hunter...I can tell you I would rather have good glass on a marginal gun vs the opposite. 1.5moa will kill deer just at dead as my custom rigs but doesn't help if you can't get on them.

The better coatings really help you pick up the target when pointing towards a setting / rising sun. Marginal glass will give you nothing but washout. I've taken the shot or handed my gun over because their old redfield / tasco / bushnell was not able to pick up the critter.

I personally like a little more magnification (the nf 5.5-25x50 is very nice) for stand hunting so I can zoom in and look for details on the antlers and to help judge age, etc. You will quickly learn to turn the power back down once you miss the yote or pig that trots across at close tange.

The 2-10 is a great compromise for all around as is a 4-14. I will admit south tx deer hunting is a bit different than the rest of the country & get a variety of shooting.

~My long range doe gun is a 7.21 Firebird w/ an 8-32NF sighted in at 400yds

~Main gun is a 280AI with a 6.5-20 leupy.

~Rattling gun is 257 Roberts with a 2.5-8 Leupy
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."
    Japanese Admiral Yamamoto, 1941

"A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him toward the left."
    Ecclesiastes 10:2:

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Artos,

I agree with you on the lowlight comments, in talking to my cousins who own the land ill be hunting on they have taken quite a few shots at dusk.

This will be my first year hunting whitetail but i have scouted some locations on the property. The farthest i can even get a shot would be 400 yards, but this would be unlikely. I also intend this to be a precision rifle, but like mentioned before ranges will max out at 400 yards most likely.

Thanks for the input guys.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Shot a few groundhogs last evening at 250-325. If you have the $$$ I don't think you will be disapointed. If you want more power for this rifle later, you will find a home for the Nightforce.

You will like the ability to go down to 2.5 for deer if you are going to be in the brush also.

Either way, good luck with your first whitetail season.
    Open the pig!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123