Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What do yall think about the Brit's choosing the LMT L129A1?

Feedback Score
    7 (89%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    We're not a "piston site" per se because the piston system is;

1. Not standardized- there are multiple varieties on the market.

2. Not beneficial for most people.

3. Parts are not always readily available- regardless of the argument that pistons are Über-reliable.

4. Not worth the extra cost.
    thats why i still run DI. i was very glad to see that the british found the DI rifle the most beneficial.

i kind of found it funny when they said it was the only one that made it through the testing without one issue.

goes to show DI is great and LMT knows their stuff

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sinlessorrow View Post
    thats why i still run DI. i was very glad to see that the british found the DI rifle the most beneficial.

i kind of found it funny when they said it was the only one that made it through the testing without one issue.

goes to show DI is great and LMT knows their stuff
    I noticed there was no outcry from HK, could it have meant they felt it wasn't worth their effort for so few guns, or they knew there wasn't any civilian sales to be made on top of the British order? Wonder how they would have reacted had this happened in the US?

ETA, I have two MWS's one I left alone and the other I picked up a SS 20", to me it came down to the SR25 or MWS even though the OBR won the sniper comp, it's still not military proven or in use as the SR and MWS is.
    Last edited by mstennes; 08-12-11 at 10:10.

Feedback Score
    7 (89%)
    Apparently when the british mod was lookin for a new rifle to fulfill the role they had a lot of companies send entries but the fn scar, hk 417, and lmt mws were the three finalist and were required to send in 3 additional rifles for final testing and the lmt .308 mws won

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Apricotshot View Post
    My only complaint of this rifle, is the weight. I have mine set-up in what I would consider somewhat of mid-range with a 1.5-5X optic and KAC BUIS and sling. It's a beast to heft around though. Makes me wonder how the Brit DM's like it?
    The weight is still less than the L96, which comes in at 14 point some odd pounds. As far as what the British liked about it, from what I know about military contracts, much of it comes down to price per unit. (At least in the US. They might (and hopefully DO) handle things differently across the pond.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by OTO27 View Post
    I am not surprised they whent with the MWS but I do understand the other contenders were disqualified by very minute deviances from what the contract required. I am not sure of the details but I remember reading some one here said that KAC only gave a 20" rifle and was imediately disqualified due to the 16" requirement. We all know KAC makes a 16" Carbine but thats my point. Dont quote me on this, perhaps a more educated member on the matter could weigh in as to how the selection process whent.
    The contract requirements were given up front. LMT, either through sheer luck or (more likely) through attention to detail, submitted a rifle that met the requirements. KAC, on the other hand, gave the impression that they didn't care too much about winning the contract. If the customer asks for vanilla and you give them chocolate, you're either sloppy or you're a fancy chef with an extremely high opinion of your chocolate.
    Oh no, not another lube thread! Read this first: Lubrication 101.

Feedback Score
    Forgive me for chiming in on this without having read the announcement, but does this mean that the U.K. MOD is phasing out the Enfield weapons system L85A1 rifle in general, or just adopting this for Marksmen/Snipers?
    Last edited by MPS; 08-14-11 at 19:22.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by OTO27 View Post
    I am not surprised they whent with the MWS but I do understand the other contenders were disqualified by very minute deviances from what the contract required. I am not sure of the details but I remember reading some one here said that KAC only gave a 20" rifle and was imediately disqualified due to the 16" requirement. We all know KAC makes a 16" Carbine but thats my point. Dont quote me on this, perhaps a more educated member on the matter could weigh in as to how the selection process whent.
    KevinB stated that the KAC dude in Europe lost his job because of that. KAC may not have won with the EMC (or some similar variation) but it would have made a closer contest.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MPS View Post
    Forgive me for chiming in on this without having read the announcement, but does this mean that the U.K. MOD is phasing out the Enfield weapons system L85A1 rifle in general, or just adopting this for Marksmen/Snipers?
    Just for Snipers.

Feedback Score
    7 (89%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kartoffel View Post
    The contract requirements were given up front. LMT, either through sheer luck or (more likely) through attention to detail, submitted a rifle that met the requirements. KAC, on the other hand, gave the impression that they didn't care too much about winning the contract. If the customer asks for vanilla and you give them chocolate, you're either sloppy or you're a fancy chef with an extremely high opinion of your chocolate.
    Exactly they had a 1.5 million dollar contract to get as many rifles as possible. Apparently the lmt .308mws was the only one in testing that passed all the trials without a single stoppage and had the best accuracy at .98moa at 200meters

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Last edited by ALCOAR; 09-25-11 at 01:34.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast