Thread: Magazine load question

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Magazine load question

OK folks, first let me say that I am new to this game and about to attend my first class in December. I don't have a lot of tactical nylon and thought out and listened to the opinions of others smarter than I in buying what I already have. Here is my problem, Pat Rogers Tactical Carbine class requires 3 magazines; 1 in the gun and 2 on your body, so I got a SOE battle belt and a Eagle M4 FB double AR15 mag pouch with piggybacked .45 acp mags on the outside of the rifle mags. I got an email today from EAG about them changing instruction methods and now I need 5 total mags on me on the line. What is the simplest, most effective way to meet this need? I don't have much more room on the belt on my left side and would rather not have a drop leg mag pouch. I appreciate any info guys.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Without going to a chest rig a sub-load is probably your best bet. I know you said you didn't want a leg platform.
    This is personal opinion only, but for beginning classes a sub-load with four rifle magazines is the easiest solution. You avoid hanging yourself up by getting your sling caught on chest pouches etc. while doing transition drills or when crossing your carbine to your opposite shoulder for "weak" hand drills. You can concentrate on the drill and perfecting it; rather than worrying about how to untie your sling from your blowout kit.
    Like I said, it's only my opinion YMMV

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Real simple...
    If you run two FB pouches on your left side plus one for your gun.. that's 3..
    Keep the other two in you pockets (cargo pockets or back pockets)
    As you use up a magazine during drills, back fill from those pockets to your Pouches. I wear BDU style pants which work well.

Also I suggest a dump pouch. If your smart with your magazine management, then you will always have a topped off mag in the gun and two ready to go... and empties and partials go in the dump pouch. I used a Rolly Polly for years but finally got smart and got a CSM dump pouch. Excellent piece of kit.

another option is to use a bandoleer type pouch that carries extra magazines. They normally have a carrying strap and can hold 6 mags with a snap cover. SDS makes one that is around $15

If non of those options appeal to you.. look at a simple chest rig that hold additional magazines... lots of them out there that are simple yet effective and are low cost You don't need a full blown CIRAS with soft/hard armor....

There is a ton of gear out there to satisfy your needs.. you just have to figure out which ones will work for you.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hootiewho View Post
    OK folks, first let me say that I am new to this game and about to attend my first class in December. I don't have a lot of tactical nylon and thought out and listened to the opinions of others smarter than I in buying what I already have. Here is my problem, Pat Rogers Tactical Carbine class requires 3 magazines; 1 in the gun and 2 on your body, so I got a SOE battle belt and a Eagle M4 FB double AR15 mag pouch with piggybacked .45 acp mags on the outside of the rifle mags. I got an email today from EAG about them changing instruction methods and now I need 5 total mags on me on the line. What is the simplest, most effective way to meet this need? I don't have much more room on the belt on my left side and would rather not have a drop leg mag pouch. I appreciate any info guys.
    You can buy 2 Single MOLLE pouches and put one on each side of your FB pouches. Expensive, but probably the most useful, and flexible. Good luck in finding them thosugh...especially from Eagle.

Tack

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Thanks Fellas

Feedback Score
    Along the same lines, how many mags on-body are considered an adequate and realistic amount for a SHTF / bug-out situation? I realize the simple answer is "one more than you needed", but with water, food, shelter, etc loaded in ones pack (or packs), plus handgun mags, what is considered a minimum number of rifle mags to have loaded and ready to go?

moonshot

Feedback Score
    Also, if you aren't likely to have a chest rig or subload in a real life scenario, tain as you would fight...There are a lot of "messenger" style bags, active shooter bags, bug out bags, and the like. That is assuming, that you are currently training in a similar manner. If not, please continue...

Since chest rigs are cheap, I'd recommend picking one up. It may not fit your immediate day to day needs, but it will allow you to experience one of the most efficient ways to carry and deploy magazines. If you decide that one of the aforementioned bags is a better choice for you after the class, you will have something to compare to. This may help in setting a standard for smooth, fast, and efficient mag changes.

Training may become addictive, and you may find yourself signing up for more advanced classes that will require a chest rig. You may decide to get into three gun competitions, or other carbine shoots that require a mode of carry other than a bag. You find another use for your rig (many are modular), such as part of an emergency kit in your vehicle. Or you may decide it doesn't work for you at all, in which case you can offload it on one of the many firearm forums and only lose $20 on the deal.

IMO, you shouldn't get hung up on what you don't want to use, any more than you should be hung up on being the next Terminator. The gear to take to class is that which will increase efficiency while at the class. When you go home, and begin to integrate what you have learned, you can then apply the mode of carry/transport/deployment that best suits your needs. Remember, the class is just an introduction to TTPs. When you get back into "your World" and begin to do your homework is when it all comes together.

And, yes, you should take a dump pouch and a Camelbak.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Well... I'll throw in my $0.02..

The best thing I ever brought with me to class is the pocket vest (kinda like the 5.11 or whatever)

Great way to carry loaded rifle mags for the range environment. Plus you can have all your shit on you the whole time. (lights, extra ear plugs, pistol mags, extra batteries, energy bars, extra batteries, sun screen, etc.)

All those pockets save you from running back to the benches to get your ears or lights, or whatever inevitably gets forgotton.

Simple, Cheap, and very effective.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v