G&R Tactical
Page 1 of 39 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 384

Thread: SHTF/GUARD DOG BREEDS

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    1,367
    Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

    SHTF/GUARD DOG BREEDS

    Everyone knows dogs are among the best criminal deterrents one can get. In hard/bad times, I'm curious what breed you guys believe would serve a guard dog role best?

    I am thinking real hard about a fila brasileiro for this task. Yes they are big, and they will eat a little more, but from my experience really no more than a high energy dog like a shepherd. A good buddy has a great dane/mastif mix, over 200 lbs and he eats less than some labs I've seen. This is also true of another friends Fila. The Fila/mastifs are very hearty/strong dogs that I believe would far well in rough times, plus they will not out of boredom chew up everything under the sun. They are quite happy just laying around until the time comes to bite an arm off. They are great around & guarding other animals as well.

    What say you guys?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Lake Powell, AZ
    Posts
    30
    Feedback Score
    0
    If you are looking for a dog in preparation for SHTF scenario, choose one that tastes good.
    Last edited by Parky; 08-19-11 at 08:15.
    - more like I am now than I was before..

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,419
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I found a jack russel terrier/ rat terrier/ mutt running down the road one day. She's about 20 pounds and just a little bigger than a Jack Russel terrier. She is the most vicious thing I've ever seen, but only to anyone or anything getting close to me. If something makes noise, she hears it. If something moves, she sees it. I rely on her increased awareness as an early warning so I can grab my weapon. Nothing is going to come around unnoticed with her here.

    She has backed down my Miniature Doberman Pincer, Chihuahua, My parents German Shepard, and their Mississippi Red Hound Dog that weighs better than 90 pounds.... she's a little Joe Pesci... just a little death dealer...

    Solid white with a light brown stripe on her back from the top of her head to her tail that stands straight up when she is playing or attacking... and her name is La-Ronda

    The most loyal dogs are usually mutts... IMO
    Last edited by Reagans Rascals; 08-19-11 at 10:01.
    When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat.. - Ronald Reagan

    smoke and drink and screw..that's what I was born to do.. - Steel Panther

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    466
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I don't know much/anything about dogs, but I remember the blogger ferfal (also author of Surviving the Economic Collapse mentions the Dogo Argentino as a particularly good breed for this role.

    Ferfal's stuff has some interesting points and some other misguided (IMO) advice, so I don't know how valid/invalid, but seems like an interesting breed and one that may fit the bill if you're unfamiliar with them:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dogo_Argentino
    "Eyes have been referred to as the window to the soul, we prefer to think of them as the funnel to the brain." - Mike Shertz, MD
    "Every trigger has a match trigger at the end of all the bullshit. - Greg Hamilton

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    28
    Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    For hard times I would go with a breed no larger than 75-95lbs. I have a great dane/american bulldog mix and he's alot of dog to take care of. As far as the particular breed if the size is no problem for you then the Fila is a excellent choice as well as a Presa or Boerboell. With the right training though you could be well served by a mutt also.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    453
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Parky View Post
    If you are looking for a dog in preparation for SHTF scenario, choose one that tastes good.
    +1. Truer words...

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    344
    Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I'm certainly no expert on dogs, but when my wife and I decided to get a dog I wanted something that would be a good "guard dog" as well as a family dog, since Im away a lot for work...

    We got a German Shepherd. Somehow we ended up with the funniest, friendliest, and goofiest German Shepherd in the world! However any strangers or people planning to do harm to my wife/property dont know that, and just SEEING a german shepherd makes people think twice. She's the perfect family dog, listens well, hardly ever gets out of sight of us...yet again, she is ALL GSD looking. And she's got the GSD bark...

    I do wonder if she'd actually attack someone who broke in, or just bark at them...but if they decide the bark isnt scary enough hopefully my AR will change their mind


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    7,469
    Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hootiewho View Post
    Everyone knows dogs are among the best criminal deterrents one can get. In hard/bad times, I'm curious what breed you guys believe would serve a guard dog role best?

    I am thinking real hard about a fila brasileiro for this task. Yes they are big, and they will eat a little more, but from my experience really no more than a high energy dog like a shepherd. A good buddy has a great dane/mastif mix, over 200 lbs and he eats less than some labs I've seen. This is also true of another friends Fila. The Fila/mastifs are very hearty/strong dogs that I believe would far well in rough times, plus they will not out of boredom chew up everything under the sun. They are quite happy just laying around until the time comes to bite an arm off. They are great around & guarding other animals as well.

    What say you guys?
    I absolutely disagree. Size doesn't mean shit. Get a breed with a natural patrolling instinct coupled with a genetic predisposition to guard its master, master's family, and property. A German Shepherd or Belgian Malinois. Don't consider these breeds if "laying around" is high on your list of priorities though.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    1,367
    Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlelebowski View Post
    I absolutely disagree. Size doesn't mean shit. Get a breed with a natural patrolling instinct coupled with a genetic predisposition to guard its master, master's family, and property. A German Shepherd or Belgian Malinois. Don't consider these breeds if "laying around" is high on your list of priorities though.
    Oh the size issue is the least of my worries. I just know our lifestyle, very busy and honestly I know I will not have the time to exercise a high energy dog like the Shepherd. I love shepherds, as all dogs; infact I cannot fathom "eating one" as was mentioned, so I would really feel bad not being able to work with/exercise/give the shepherds what they need and desire.

    I know a guy with a Fila it is unbelievible around family & other animals, but an unreal guard dog. If he doesn't know you forget coming into the yard without the master's concent. So, in being honest with myself, laying around and "being watchful" is very much high on my list at this point in my life.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    7,469
    Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I know you personally HW, so I'm not worried about you being one of those mouth breathers that thinks that a big dog is a better dog and a sort of penis extension.

    I think that you are doing the right thing researching this because a large dog like this with such low ownership in the US is a relative unknown. Especially around a family.

    Personally, were I you; I'd look around for a 3-5 yr old Shepherd. By that age, they've mellowed and are truly excellent family and guard dogs. My last dog was just such an animal and a more noble dog I have not seen.

    The problem with researching new dog breeds is most of the time you just hear a bunch of bullshit about how great the breed is from folks that have pride of ownership (just like firearms).

    You could also consider adopting a military working dog washout from Lackland Air Force Base. Many fail due to lack of aggression and are fine dogs. Mals and Shepherds.

Page 1 of 39 12311 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •