Page 13 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official, One-and-Only, Zombies Have Hit the Fan EOTW Thread

Feedback Score
    a1fabweld:

Good way to put it. I have a couple dutch ovens so i got some way to cook over fire. I love them things. A gumbo dont taste any better than if its cooked in a well seasoned dutch oven.
    I love to cook so i am good on the supplies for that.

I usually buy batteries in bulk so i am good on that. I love that surefire sells their batteries for so cheap in bulk.

I have a shit ton of flashlights too.

I am seriously lacking in the sanitary/ hygeine dept. need to stock up on some sams style 50 pack of bars of soap.

I have 2 power converters to run a variety of things. a small one and a bigger one to run off the battery for higher watt stuff.

I saw some pretty decent survival pack at academy with a list of various stuff. i wanna get one for the wife to keep in car in case she gets caught in a bad snow storm.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    4x4;

A self-packed first aid kit based on stuff you know how to use and otc meds.

For otc's think Advil\Excedrin (or both), Imodium,and any other over the meds that you can see you or your family needing during a traditional flu season. Someone mentioned here in another thread that the .gov ran a field test for the .mil and discovered most meds have a much longer shelf life than is listed on the bottles (i think 10 years?). Lots of these meds are available under store brands and can be had for extremely cheap at wally world.

I just picked up some wally world store brand Excedrin, a 250 ct bottle ran me about 4 bucks where the name brand ran 14.xx. 72 tablets of Imodium ran me about 3 bucks. Good stuff to have extras of.

Feedback Score
    4x4, I try to standardize as much as I can. I buy everything in 4's for each in my family. Some things I buy extra parts for such as flashlight bulbs, gun parts, etc. Pistols, rifles, mags, ammo, pouches, knives, just about everything I can standardize, I do. Makes things much more simple. I switched all my electronics to AA or 9V batteries. If for some reason there is no power, I have solar chargers to make sure we always have light. Buy bulk baking soda & salt as they have so many practical uses.

I've been stocking up on bulk rice, wheat, beans, canned goods, and food grade, air tight 5gal buckets. Spices are another thing to buy in bulk. A bland meal can be made bearable with some seasoning. I'm making my own long shelf life food for much less than you can buy it for prepackaged. For about $500, I've got at least a years worth of food for my family. This doesn't include gardening & taking small game on a regular basis to supplement my stash. Make sure the wife has work clothes/boots because she's going to be doing more laborous type work. Just a few suggestions off the top of my head.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by John W View Post
    4x4;

A self-packed first aid kit based on stuff you know how to use and otc meds.

For otc's think Advil\Excedrin (or both), Imodium,and any other over the meds that you can see you or your family needing during a traditional flu season. Someone mentioned here in another thread that the .gov ran a field test for the .mil and discovered most meds have a much longer shelf life than is listed on the bottles (i think 10 years?). Lots of these meds are available under store brands and can be had for extremely cheap at wally world.

I just picked up some wally world store brand Excedrin, a 250 ct bottle ran me about 4 bucks where the name brand ran 14.xx. 72 tablets of Imodium ran me about 3 bucks. Good stuff to have extras of.
    You would be surprised how much some OTC Meds will help out in a SHTF situation. Something small can be stopped before it gets out of control. Just make sure that you read up on everything that you get. It would be worthwhile to get a Nursing Drug book from most large book stores. They are about $25-$30 and well worth it.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Dollar stores are good places to find OTC items and since these types of stores turn a good amount of inventory everything is fresh from disturbers. All the items I picked up for the BOB's med kits had long Expiration dates so they are GTG for years to come.

Feedback Score
    I don't know that dollar stores are the best idea. Their stock is not the freshest. I wouldn't trust meds from there. Pay a little extra for your health. I picked up a couple of IFAK's from North American Rescue and pimped them out with boo-boo kits and prescriptions. The medic kit is bigger, I keep the smaller, maritime assault IFAK in my get-home bag.

These have everything you'd ever need in a SHTF scenario. http://www.narescue.com/Medic__Leg_R...C=3000250D2301

Last edited by Doc Maker; 08-21-11 at 20:51.
    NROI(1) USPSA/3 Gun

George Carlin
    "Ever notice that your stuff is shit and their shit is stuff?"

President Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Only Americans can hurt America."

P.J. O'Rourke:
    "This country was founded by religious nuts with guns."

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Maker View Post
    I don't know that dollar stores are the best idea. Their stock is not the freshest. I wouldn't trust meds from there. Pay a little extra for your health. I picked up a couple of IFAK's from North American Rescue and pimped them out with boo-boo kits and prescriptions. The medic kit is bigger, I keep the smaller, maritime assault IFAK in my get-home bag.

These have everything you'd ever need in a SHTF scenario. http://www.narescue.com/Medic__Leg_R...C=3000250D2301

I guess it depends on were your located and the amount of business that dollar store happens to do. I always look at every expiration date on anything I buy and I can tell you the dates are better then 2.5 to 3 years down the road.

I live in Philadelphia and the store I visit is always busy and they have a well stocked section but I do concede that a smaller less busy stores may have older stock.

But shopping at my dollar store I was able to build some nice BOB basic first aid kits that the average child or young adult would be able to use. Now for someone with a bit of training better kits as the one you posted are very nice to have but my recommendation was based on basic items and common OTC meds.

Feedback Score
    I'm with you... I just think about the occasional reports of counterfeit Tylenol from China. That's the stuff that invariably ends up in the dollar stores. In my experience, I would prefer that my OTC meds have a chain of custody. Money is tight these days but I'd still feel fine about spending an extra couple of bucks for peace of mind.
    NROI(1) USPSA/3 Gun

George Carlin
    "Ever notice that your stuff is shit and their shit is stuff?"

President Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Only Americans can hurt America."

P.J. O'Rourke:
    "This country was founded by religious nuts with guns."

Feedback Score
    How about an earthquake to start off the SHTF scenario?! 6.0 hits Mineral VA today. Fed buildings in DC and the Pentagon evaq'd. No reports of injuries or deaths.
    Let's see where this goes...
    Last edited by LRS143; 08-23-11 at 13:28.

Psalm 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle;

Feedback Score
    Not only that but the hurricane that could potentially do some serious damage to the east coast.

Some of the scenarios i have seen about new york hurricane landfall looks really bad. This one is supposed to post hit new york at category 2 level the last time i saw the forecast. Could be really bad.

Page 13 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast