Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: What keeps you from seeking out, or attending more, training?

Feedback Score
    another one here for overall cost and travel.

life has gotten in the way lately and funds need to be diverted elsewhere.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I could probably swing the cost without too much hardship, but the primary issue keeping me from seeking out training is the time commitment. At this point in my life, any time away from work that I can swing gets completely consumed by family obligations.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Training

I have thought about going to classes for both pistol and rifle, but I have a problem with the way the training is done.

I have some issues with standing and running, bad knees and Charcots. i dont think I would be well come at the classes in my area. I would need to use my motorized scooter while not actually shooting. I have talked to one trainer on this list and he said it wouldn't be a problem but again the movement makes me think twice.

The videos that I have seen of some classes give me pause because of the emphasis on just dumping all your ammo into a target without any thought of POI. Just running up to a target and shoving magazines in my rifle is fun but I can do that at Burro Canyon range with my sons and it doesn't cost me the training fees.
    If am wrong please let me know, but I haven't seen a class for old, fat guys with bad knees yet...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by drrufo View Post
    The videos that I have seen of some classes give me pause because of the emphasis on just dumping all your ammo into a target without any thought of POI. Just running up to a target and shoving magazines in my rifle is fun but I can do that at Burro Canyon range with my sons and it doesn't cost me the training fees.
    If am wrong please let me know, ...
    On this, you are most certainly wrong. Every class I have attended had very rigorous accuracy standards, whether 1 or 10 rounds were fired at a target and regardless of distance to the target. A standard seems to be fist sized groups in the appropriate area of the target. If that standard can't be met, the student is forced to slow down and/or reduce the number of rounds until it is met.

There are most certainly charlatans out there taking people's money without offering any true instruction and allowing people to "spray and pray," but they are the exception, not the rule.

As far as your valid mobility questions are concerned, I would say most if not all quality instructors would be more than willing to accomodate you.

As far as what's stopping me - right now it's trying to get the ammo I bought and paid for last week delivered by tomorrow so I can go shoot with Falla up in WV this weekend.

Feedback Score
    The fear of having that guy. The one who thinks he knows everything but in face rly knows nothing but all the newbies believe everything he says (i see this alot in the army) and have been a victum of it before.
    America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
    -Abe Lincoln

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by drrufo View Post
    I have thought about going to classes for both pistol and rifle, but I have a problem with the way the training is done.

I have some issues with standing and running, bad knees and Charcots. i dont think I would be well come at the classes in my area. I would need to use my motorized scooter while not actually shooting. I have talked to one trainer on this list and he said it wouldn't be a problem but again the movement makes me think twice.
    Have you met retreathell? http://www.youtube.com/user/RetreatHell?ob=5
    Based on the description you've provided, I don't think you are looking at the right instructors.

For me it would be justifying the need for additional training, from the standpoint that I can only absorb so much information and only have so much time to train on what I've learned in classes afterwards. I've had 1 pistol and 1 rifle class. My current plan is to take a class on one of these two weapon systems once every two or three years. This would be to attempt to maintain a baseline. From a cost/time perspective, I view going to a class as my version of a "guys weekend". My wife usually has a "girls weekend" maybe once a year, that typically involved flight/hotel. I pretty much get the same, except I'm planning on driving to my classes, until I've exhausted the qualified resources around north texas and southern oklahoma. I was planning on taking a pistol class this year (took rifle last year), however I've decided to take a class in combatives/self defense instead. The pistol class will have to get bumped to 2012.
    Last edited by rudy99; 08-10-11 at 10:12.
    I've got a bunch of survival guides on my Kindle, so I'm ready for an EMP.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678