Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What keeps you from seeking out, or attending more, training?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Time and money...

I'm a younger guy with a good job but still crawling my way out of debt towards financial security. My wife stays home with our 3 daughters (almost 5 yo, 2 yo, and 3 mo) so even though I make good money as a whole we make less than many dual-income families. This is not a complaint - the benefits outweigh the drawbacks on every level. But it means I don't have as much disposable income as one might assume. Beyond that, between the busy work schedule and desire to be present at home makes it tough to take a weekend out for myself. Traveling to a class is just about completely out occur question for me at this point. Thankfully we have been getting some great classes here local and I have been able to take a few of those.
    --Josh H.

Feedback Score
    Time is the biggest issue for me. Because I work rotating shifts If have to ether schedule the classes around my job, or burn up 24 of annual leave to do it. It also means any time I spend in class I'm dumping 4 kids on my wife to handle on her own. Money I can save and maneuver and shift around to get, time is the commodity I can't create.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    For me personally it's that I have too many irons in the fire right now. Not things that are time consuming per se, but things that cost money. So ultimately you could say it's an issue of money. While I'm at a point where I don't have to make a car payment I jumped on several projects at once because I don't know when I would get another chance to get them done. Building my AR was project #1 and the most expensive. Getting two good pistols set up was project #2. The others are smaller and less expensive. Hopefully now that the big ones are done and most of the other small things are winding down I can start seriously looking to attend some good training. If I don't make a class this year my goal for next year is to attend at least one pistol class and one carbine class, and to get my wife through a minimum of a pistol class. Luckily I'm within driving distance of Southern Exposure, which the OP tells me offers some top-notch instruction. However, I would have to stay overnight so the cost of lodging and meals would have to be tallied in to the overall cost. If my local rifle range ever hosted AR training I would attend it for sure, but they don't cater to the AR crowd.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

"Time is Money" or "I can't afford to be busy"

For me it is the time. Which actually translates to money in the long run but not for the obvious reasons.

I have had several opportunities to attend advanced training at discounted or even comped fees. But I would have to take time off from my day job and from making holsters to do so. The day job isn't that big a deal as getting time off is not difficult. The holster gig is another story. I already have to take more time away from it than I like for familial/personal obligations. This means my customers are waiting for their gear longer than I would like. Certainly longer than they would like. An upset customer is not a repeat customer.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by d90king View Post
    This is simply not true! You will also see even more in 2012 in the Phila area. Look for some of the following instructors: Vickers, Falla, Hackathorn, Defoor, McNamara, Tigerswan, Tom Kier, Paragon 6 and possibly Rogers.

I will remember to keep you posted as I start hammering away dates and instructors.
    This is very exciting news. Hope to be seeing more on Falla and Defoor very soon so I can schedule and pay for it ASAP.

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    For me it's lack of time. I reload and have enough for tuition, I'm just never home and when I am time with the family take priority.

I get quite a bit of good training at work. However it's not geared toward concealed carry or civilian legal issues at all. I realized I'm carrying a concealed pistol about 75% of the time that I'm carrying a gun so two years ago I decided to try to fill in the gaps on my own. In the last year I was able to take a defensive handgun 2 course geared toward CCW and a defensive folding knife course, both at Insights in Washington. Next time I'm home I plan on progressing through more of their courses.

Feedback Score

Cost of Ammo and Travel

The primary reason I don't get more training is the cost of the ammo.

The next reason is the cost of travel to a location. Granted I have not shopped around a lot, but the closest I'm aware of is in Nevada, which is a bit of a hike for me.

Another reason is the fact that I am still trying to find money in the budget to finish my M4gery.

So for me I think it is, cost of ammo, cost of travel, and cost of suitable equipment.

Feedback Score
    39 (100%)

The reason is--

Cost of travel with related expenses for me. The rest of it I can work around. Typical distance seems to be about 8-9 house drive, for a 2 day class. That's 4 days out. I'm in the Ct area, there's very little in this neck of the woods.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Time; my wife and I work opposite shifts so only get limited time together.

Money; having just bought a house, money is going on upgrading it so I have to prioritize my spending. In addition to buying a quality RDS I would like to use in a class I still need a belt system with mag holders plus the cost of ammo.

Looks like it will 2012 before I take a class. I plan on doing a class with a local instructor before possibly doing one with one of the bigger names.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Well maybe not 100% true, still 6-8 hours is unatatainable for me and to the best of my knowledge most class's that have been offered in my area are LE only. I dont think its legal for me to traval accrossed state lines to PA with a pistol either. I do look forward to hearing of other opertunitys in the a north east.

Quote Originally Posted by d90king View Post
    This is simply not true! You will also see even more in 2012 in the Phila area. Look for some of the following instructors: Vickers, Falla, Hackathorn, Defoor, McNamara, Tigerswan, Tom Kier, Paragon 6 and possibly Rogers.

I will remember to keep you posted as I start hammering away dates and instructors.

That said I have never taken a class that didn't require a 6-8 hour travel commitment. In my opinion for those who are serious about improving there skill set with firearms it is a very small price to pay. Its also really nice to get away for 2 or 3 days to focus on training, get together with like minded dudes and tune the rest of the world out.

For me time is my biggest interference to being able to take the amount of classes that I would like (if not I would be shooting 1911's right now in Ohio). Ideally I would like to be able to fit 5-6 in a year. Right now with running a business and raising my daughters 2-3 is all that I can swing.

So much to learn, so little time...
    "After I shot myself, my training took over and I called my parents..." Texas Grebner

"Take me with a grain of salt, my sarcasm does not relate well over the internet"

Jonathan Morehouse

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast