Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What keeps you from seeking out, or attending more, training?

Feedback Score
    The things that stop me from getting more training at the moment:

- time away from family - this is realllly tough for me. Though, this situation should be changing shortly.

- money - between tuition, gas, hotels, classes and ammo, they are easily $1-2K trips.

- right now I'm "digesting" the last two classes. I need more range time (again, issue with time away from family) to digest what I learned so far this year. I'm sure more training would help that, but I need to save that for when I've reached more of a plateau than now where I still have plenty of thoughts rolling through my head from the last class.

If I had all the cash and time in the world, I'd gladly take more classes as that would definitely accelerate my learning - however, I need to save those for "later" once my growth is a little more stunted.

Classes I'd love to take:

Low Light
    How to clear/secure your home
    VSM 1 - Pistol/Carbine - I want to get the basics again from a different instructor/method.
    Precision distance shooting

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    ...Do any of these apply to you? Are there others?
    I have another reason, but I'm a little reluctant to bring it up.

So before I say anything, I want to make it clear that what anyone else wants to do with their time and money is their business. So long as it isn't immoral or unethical they'll catch no flak from me.

I actually would like to get some additional training. I'm a retired military guy. I'm comfortable with my ability to manipulate an AR, clear malfunctions, and hit what I'm aiming at reasonable ranges.

What I'm *not* comfortable with is shooting while moving (I'm accustomed to having someone to provide suppressive fire while I move to my next covered position), and I have no experience operating indoors without another person or six providing backup. Nevertheless, without going into too much detail (no secret squirrel stuff--I just don't want to sidetrack the discussion) there is a greater than zero chance that I might need to do these things at my current place of employment.

What has kept me away from attending a training event thus far is the *idea* that some of the students might be living out some sort of Zombie Apocalypse fantasy. When I see a bunch of guys wearing helmets/plate carriers/chest rigs I get a little uncomfortable. My world view and politics are not in line with those of the stereotypical "gun guy," and I don't want to spend a day or two listening to the sort of talk that typically takes place in the "off topic" area of must gun forums. Not only would it mar the experience for me, but I'm sure I'd open my big mouth and ruin the day for others as well.

Again, I'm not judging here, and I'll freely admit that in my ignorance I could be way off base. I just don't think I'd "fit in."

I'd welcome feedback from others, whether it's "don't be an ass--it's nothing like that," or "maybe you'd be better off with private instruction."

Feedback Score
    For me it's all of the above plus guns and shooting to me are just a hobby. I am happy with my shooting ability as it stands, not the best but certainly not the worst.

I think more people should learn how to drive before they learn how to do a mag change or clear a malfunction.

Feedback Score
    Time - Very busy this year with my own course schedule through the end of this year.

Cost - I admit that in general I am a bit lucky in having my employer pay for these types of things, but next year I want to do some specific training that I plan on paying for and not trying to go through the red tape / justification process, especially with budgets being what they are. However my employer and my division is still bringing in some courses this year that I will be in on so that is a plus. Also no matter where I go, I will be traveling several hours, often a full day by air which I need to factor 2 full extra days of lodging / time away. Add up tuition, ammo, air, room, car, it can go into a few thousand, especially if I stop in Vegas on the way home.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by d90king View Post
    This is simply not true! You will also see even more in 2012 in the Phila area. Look for some of the following instructors: Vickers, Falla, Hackathorn, Defoor, McNamara, Tigerswan, Tom Kier, Paragon 6 and possibly Rogers.

I will remember to keep you posted as I start hammering away dates and instructors.

That said I have never taken a class that didn't require a 6-8 hour travel commitment. In my opinion for those who are serious about improving there skill set with firearms it is a very small price to pay. Its also really nice to get away for 2 or 3 days to focus on training, get together with like minded dudes and tune the rest of the world out.

For me time is my biggest interference to being able to take the amount of classes that I would like (if not I would be shooting 1911's right now in Ohio). Ideally I would like to be able to fit 5-6 in a year. Right now with running a business and raising my daughters 2-3 is all that I can swing.

So much to learn, so little time...
    Keep me posted as well. I am chomping at the bit to get some decent training around here!

Single parent and travel costs are what keep me from training.
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    For me, it's a matter of priorities. I'm already a pretty good rifleman. Whenever I compete, I always do well in the standings. I have confidence in my gear, technique and abilities. From there I have to analyze what an expenditure of several hundred dollars in tuition, several hundred dollars in ammo, lost time at work and ancillary costs will buy me. What percentage of improvement will I see?

When I run the numbers, it doesn't add up. My money would be better spent on "one on one" coaching. Or better yet, a training group of like mined individuals who were not running a for profit enterprise. If that were the case, perhaps having each member attend a different class as a "Train the Trainer" and returning to impart that knowledge to the group would be worthwhile.

I'm not saying that attending classes isn't worthwhile, far from it. It's just that once you reach a certain level, it isn't cost effective. Particularly not in light of how much information is readily available. You just have to look for it and have the ability to implement it on your level. JMO, YMMV

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Guys, I'd like to nip anymore "I don't need no stinkin' training" posts in the bud, and I already tried once. Let me quote myself.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Operate under the assumption here that you're of the opinion that you want/need some/more training.
    Pretty please with a cherry on top, if you want to tell us why you don't need any training at all, start a new thread. This isn't the place for it.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frailer View Post
    What has kept me away from attending a training event thus far is the *idea* that some of the students might be living out some sort of Zombie Apocalypse fantasy. When I see a bunch of guys wearing helmets/plate carriers/chest rigs I get a little uncomfortable. My world view and politics are not in line with those of the stereotypical "gun guy," and I don't want to spend a day or two listening to the sort of talk that typically takes place in the "off topic" area of must gun forums. Not only would it mar the experience for me, but I'm sure I'd open my big mouth and ruin the day for others as well.

Again, I'm not judging here, and I'll freely admit that in my ignorance I could be way off base. I just don't think I'd "fit in."

I'd welcome feedback from others, whether it's "don't be an ass--it's nothing like that," or "maybe you'd be better off with private instruction."
    I do think you're cheating yourself, or more likely finding ways to talk yourself out of it. Which is fine.

Yes, I have been at some classes where I have encountered some political discussions. They have ranged all over. Yes, you are more likely to encounter a more conservative political slant at a firearms class than other places. I recall a class where the topic of government healthcare came up and one person made the mistake of getting on his high horse with a dissenting view which did not fare so well.

However, those kinds of bad experiences are rare. At every class I've attended there has been more than one person who simply chooses to sit off to the side and be by themselves, or with a friend they came with. I've never bothered to ask any but one why, because I figure it's their business and I frankly don't care. They don't appear to get any less out of the class in terms of shooting ability than I do.

My suggestion would be to go with a friend. Sit off to the side if you find the conservative slant distasteful. Skip the class dinners if you prefer. Some of us enjoy those aspects but it doesn't mean you would, or have to. A good class is spent shooting, not talking.

As to the plate carriers, helmets, etc. that sounds like an issue on your part. It's easy to look at a picture and dismiss what you see, but in classes I've attended more of the guys that wear that stuff actually rate/need it than don't. There are pictures of me wearing armor in a class where it wasn't needed. Why? Because I was planning on attending a shoot house class where it WOULD be required and I wanted to see if it was sorted out before I actually needed it. I wouldn't be too quick to judge what you think you see.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'm chomping at the bit to get some good training rob but will flat out admit it comes down to how I currently spend my time and money.

I'm an advid outdoorsman and if you hunt and fish in Texas, it is very costly & this is my priority with the current wallet size situation. I hope to have that changed and it certainly is not in my plan to stay in the current bracket forever & do plan to attend some recommended classes in the future.

I'm not even sure where the closest place to consider is...I'm 4 hours drive from San Antonio & 5 hours drive to Houston to give you an idea. I'm guessing those would more or less the closest unless there is something in Corpus which would be about 2.5 hours.

I'm looking forward to it and embrace learning more on hands w/ seasoned instructors. Hopefully the financial situation will work it's way out sooner than later.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."
    Japanese Admiral Yamamoto, 1941

"A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him toward the left."
    Ecclesiastes 10:2:

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Not prioritizing money to it (other focuses right now) and the cost of "good" ammo...

Rmpl
    "Our destruction... will be from another quarter. From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence..."
    ...Daniel Webster, June 1, 1837

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast