View Poll Results: What keeps you from seeking out, or attending, firearm training

Voters
166. You may not vote on this poll
  • Cost of tuition

48 28.92%
  • Cost of travel

44 26.51%
  • Cost of ammo

14 8.43%
  • Cost of/Lack of guns/gear/support equipment

9 5.42%
  • Time away from work

23 13.86%
  • Time away from family

18 10.84%
  • Physical limitations (disability, injury, etc.)

5 3.01%
  • Fear/Dislike of the unknown (or perceived known)

2 1.20%
  • I do not want/need any/more firearm training

3 1.81%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What keeps you from seeking out, or attending, training? POLL

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I think the cost of the tuition vs the quality of instruction is right on for me. I've been selective and trained with the same folks multiple times. DeFoor with 3 different organizations, USTC, and TS.
    Ammo cost is to me part of the tuition in a sense. It's a fixed cost generally speaking. The round counts are closely on par with the course descriptions.

It's the gas, food, lodging that sucks. A two day course in VA requires a total of 4 days. I have over the last 4 years developed some freindships with guys I've trained with and now we can share some of these expenses.
    I just save as I can and then plan selectively. Only way to do it.

Feedback Score

Cost of travel.

For me the big deal is the cost of travel, most other places in the country you can jump in your POV and drive a couple of hours to get to a decent training course if you so desire, maybe pay for a hotel, or maybe bunk up in your car/truck/creepy van. Eat PB&J and drink tap water from the bathroom of a nearby 7/11.

Coming from AK is a little bit different. gotta fly or have a TON of extra time to drive the 3600 miles to Seattle and then on to your final destination.

If we had more local courses (there is one local guy I would pay for courses) I would be happy to spend the several hundred dollars on tuition and ammo because those are directly impacting my skills as a shooter. But the travel part really kills it for me, its just a mean to an end.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Getting my vacation time lined up with dates for classes nearby is the main issue (weeks are bid by seniority, if anything I'm junior). I don't mind driving a few hours, and I can budget for the tuition/ammo/gas/lodging. Secondary reason would be I'd like to shoot on the move before hitting a class just to get a feel for it.

I'd actually like to go with a few buddies of mine but they'd rather buy car parts and play weekend fast and furious racer (decals are +5hp, and when you change your oil use RoyalPurple and shake it before pouring it in, another +10hp right there!)

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    For me the main thing is fear of the unknown.

I cannot stand crowds of people, and hate crowds of unknown people...

I also have issues with the way that many instructors treat students.

I don't like being treated in a way that makes me feel inferior, just because I truly don't know the "best" way to do one thing or another...

Feedback Score
    Time away from work for me. Even though I have a nice work schedule working in nuclear power... they can force you to work overtime which has always screwed something up in my free time. I would hate to drop some money on a class and then end up at work for the day.
    Survival IS the only option!
    http://zdhq.net

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I said cost of travel, but it's more of a cost of travel/time issue for me. Closest training that I can attend is in Houston (when available). Gotta take time off work to just get there, then pay for a hotel/motel, gas, meals, etc. none that terribly expensive compared to the cost of a class and ammo, but it all adds up and pretty quickly too. Something local would be ideal but training classes in the San Antonio area are few and far between. 4 hour drive to Houston from my home outside San Antonio.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaSierra View Post
    I don't like being treated in a way that makes me feel inferior, just because I truly don't know the "best" way to do one thing or another...
    FWIW, I've never seen an instructor treat a student badly for being ignorant. Stupid maybe, but never ignorant.

After about the third or fourth time a student put himself in harm's way, I recall Pat Rogers asking him "did your mother ever have any kids that lived?"

Feedback Score
    I had a hard time with this poll as it could have been all of them as a hole except the one that said "I don't need anymore training". I can always use more training.But I narrowed it down to the cost of tuition for me. I can handle sleeping in my car or even a tent to be able to go to a class. I was mad at myself on not seeing the Magpul Dynamics at Douglas Ridge. I know where that place is and well I guess I can wait till next year. Gives me time to save money for the class and to stock up on ammo. I know a few people in that area so finding a place to sleep shouldn't be to hard. So far I got my Douglas Ridge jar with 200 bucks in it and I have 1500 rounds already from just buying it in bulk a few times. I still have to shoot cause I know I am going to be the one that's not the greatest shot there. I know I will be going to those classes next year.
    WFD
    EMR
    FF

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    It's a combination of time constraints, lack of funds and not having a kit that I'm comfortable with. Hopefully I'll have myself in order by next summer.
    Last edited by товарищ; 08-09-11 at 22:46.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    For me it is mostly the coat of the class, followed by cost of ammo, and then travel costs. I purchased my gear when I was doing decent financially, then hit a rough patch. I try to go buy a box or two of rounds every few weeks, but at this rate I won't have a decent stockpile for a while. I have a small car and enjoy roadtrips, so as long as a class is on a weekend, travel is not as big a burden.

Hopefully I'll pull out of this rough patch and can take another class soon. But for now, keeping my car, job, and feeding myself are at priority.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast