Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help finding a good 3 point sling....

Feedback Score

Need help finding a good 3 point sling....

Im sure someone on here can help me. Im looking to buy a sling for my AR, but Im pretty picky about it. Heres what I want:

-Must be available in black
    -Must be Nylon (I think most are anyway)
    -Must be a 3 point tactical sling
    -Must mount to the rifle with the use of a side swivel mount, in both the front and the back

The last one is whats giving me problems. Most slings I find mount to the weapon like this:

I DO NOT want that. I plan to buy a GG&G Rear Sling Thing for the back, and one of these...

...for the front, so as long as itll mount up to those, and it meets the above criteria, it should satisfy my pickiness.

Thanks for the help
    "...any handgun being considered for serious law enforcement or self-defense use should be chambered for a cartridge that has a 4 as its first number and preferably a 5 as the second."

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Everyone will try to tell you to get a 2 pt sling. I trained with a 3 pt and find them very comfortable / more comfortable than a 2 pt. You can let it hang, drop to a prone position, kneel, stand, without unhooking / lengthening the sling by unsnapping - which is an option. This was with a tacvest.

You can either get one direct from Eagle Industries, or R&S Tactical Gear.

Notice in the R&S pic, that if you use the forward handguard strap, it holds the sling mount with a small velcro strap, making for a quieter rig. Here is the pic:

This forward handguard strap holds the sling for right or left hand use.

Here's a pic of one on my 6920. I've since reattached the sling using the handguard strap.

Similar to this:

I actually purchased a BGF Vicker's 2 pt, tried it, then returned it.

ymmv

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Personally I find 3 point slings useless for anything other than MP5s. But if you want one I'd look at Eagle and Specter both make excellent products and are site supporters here.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score

The Wilderness Tactical also makes a quality 3 point sling.
    Cold Zero

Feedback Score
    Since you're somewhat new to the AR platform, I'd recommend reading what Pat Rogers and Larry Vickers have posted here and elsewhere about gear, equipment and especially lube. You'll find it quite enlightening. If you ever have the opportunity to train with them, it'd be well worth the time and money invested. LAV's Vickers Tactical website would be a good starting point. There he writes this about the 3-point sling:

"I very rarely see these in classes anymore as I think everyone has gotten the word on them. With an AR style carbine they are about the worst possible choice. They offer none of the advantages of an adjustable two point with almost every negative in the book. They tend to hang up on kit big time. For a right hander they can interfere with controls and for a left hander they interfere with ejection. If you are standing around with no body armor on they may be cool (I don’t think so) but with any gear on shooters quickly figure out they are lame beyond belief. Like I said fortunately most people have gotten the word on three point slings so they are scarce in the circles I run in."

Good luck.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MX5 View Post
    "I very rarely see these in classes anymore as I think everyone has gotten the word on them. With an AR style carbine they are about the worst possible choice. They offer none of the advantages of an adjustable two point with almost every negative in the book. They tend to hang up on kit big time. For a right hander they can interfere with controls and for a left hander they interfere with ejection. If you are standing around with no body armor on they may be cool (I don’t think so) but with any gear on shooters quickly figure out they are lame beyond belief. Like I said fortunately most people have gotten the word on three point slings so they are scarce in the circles I run in."

Good luck.
    I was going to post this, thank god someone else did first, so I wouldn't have to be "that guy" again.

I highly recommend against 3-point slings. I am a firearms instructor and active duty service memeber. Switching to the VTAC (was given to me for free) was like having someone turn the lights on in a dark room. Two points in general are easier to attach, manage, put on, take off, adjust, and transition. I still prefer one-points on VSBRs, but have given away all of my three-points.

The only organizations/individuals that still use three-point slings either have not used tactical 2-points, don't know how to properly use a tactical 2-point, or just bought a ton of three-points.

Then again, if you are dead set on getting a three-point all I will say is stay away from IBD.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GLP Standard View Post
    Im sure someone on here can help me. Im looking to buy a sling for my AR, but Im pretty picky about it. Heres what I want:

-Must be available in black
    -Must be Nylon (I think most are anyway)
    -Must be a 3 point tactical sling
    -Must mount to the rifle with the use of a side swivel mount, in both the front and the back

The last one is whats giving me problems. Most slings I find mount to the weapon like this:

I DO NOT want that. I plan to buy a GG&G Rear Sling Thing for the back, and one of these...

...for the front, so as long as itll mount up to those, and it meets the above criteria, it should satisfy my pickiness.

Thanks for the help
    Have you had a chance to attend formal training yet?

Feedback Score
    Hmm..thanks for the info. The good thing about being on a forum as an unexperienced shooter is that theres plenty of experienced ones to set you straight. Ill look into the 2 point slings, and ill decide which one is best for me. We use two point slings at work, yet we have a couple 3 point slings, and I HATE the two point slings to be honest. They just seem so uncomfortable for me, but then again I won't be carrying my AR like I carry the ones at work, so I dont know.
    "...any handgun being considered for serious law enforcement or self-defense use should be chambered for a cartridge that has a 4 as its first number and preferably a 5 as the second."

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    What two-point have you used?
    VTAC Padded
    BFG Vickers
    Bulldog Equipment
    Israeli

If you have not used one of these and have not been instructed on how to properly use it, then I would not be suprised if you did not like them. And not all of these are all that great.

Proper integration of gear/equipment/weapons must include proper training, even if you are training yourself.

What do you do for work in which you are issued an Ameetec?
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    To temper this a bit further, I use single point or two point based on the situation. But, I understand the use and limitations of both. All are a compromise to some degree and none are perfect.

For single point I'm partial to the Wilderness and for two point I like the VTAC or Vickers, but these are my choices. In all honesty, if any of the gear is mounted poorly or used improperly, it all sucks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast