Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Official BOV and Contingency Transportation Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Official BOV and Contingency Transportation Thread

Can we get a tack for ideas for vehicles for austere/emergency situations?

I'll start. I'm working on my KLR650 to make it a scout bike like the Corps' M1030. When I'm done, it will have significant waterproof cargo capacity, plus power for radios and external accessories. I'm finishing up the paint job now. Here's a pic taken just a minute ago:

Last edited by QuietShootr; 08-12-11 at 13:28.

Feedback Score
    Are we looking for austere vehicles (like your skooter there), or BOV for austere conditions?

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Awsome I have been wanting to do that for a long time just dont have a bike yet. Got to see a pic when she is all done very jelous right now.
    "After I shot myself, my training took over and I called my parents..." Texas Grebner

"Take me with a grain of salt, my sarcasm does not relate well over the internet"

Jonathan Morehouse

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    This is a subject that I have been pondering for some time now.

Other than horses, my ideal BOV would be an early 80's or even 70's 4x4 retrofitted with a diesel engine. International Scout, Ford Bronco, Chevy Blazer/Suburban, Toyota Land Cruiser. Jeeps just don't have enough room.

I'd love to have me a Hilux but the EPA won't let me.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose-Knuckle View Post
    This is a subject that I have been pondering for some time now.

Other than horses, my ideal BOV would be an early 80's or even 70's 4x4 retrofitted with a diesel engine. International Scout, Ford Bronco, Chevy Blazer/Suburban, Toyota Land Cruiser. Jeeps just don't have enough room.

I'd love to have me a Hilux but the EPA won't let me.

Unimog.

And YES! Id love me a diesel Hilux. I think we're the only country that can't get them. Not worth Toyota's effort to release them here....

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Belmont31R View Post
    Unimog.

And YES! Id love me a diesel Hilux. I think we're the only country that can't get them. Not worth Toyota's effort to release them here....
    +1,

I have explored the gray market Hilux, someday I hope to have one, but it's a hassle. I bug Toyota every time it pops in my head.

But a Unimog would be BADASS

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan_Bell View Post
    Are we looking for austere vehicles (like your skooter there), or BOV for austere conditions?
    Both. Vehicles and mods for 'survival applications' is what I had in mind for the tacked thread.

Closer to back together:

Last edited by QuietShootr; 08-13-11 at 08:04.

Feedback Score
    Bike is looking good.

We had a great thread on this subject going a year or two ago, but cannot find it now.

Let's see if I can recall the little write-up we had on what makes a good BOV.

Reliability. If it won't start when you need it to, not really a good idea.
    Durability. IF you have to wrench on its vitals every weekend to keep it going because it is not robust enough to take the beating a BOV will take, not a good idea.
    Functionality: Can it Bug you out? Most of my vehicles are 4x4's with good range and above average offroad capabilities. This is good in my part of the world as we have lots of farms and forest roads that will stop most vehicles but allow those set-up like mine to roll on with minimal issues. If I lived in LA, the state or the city that also uses those initials, I would have completely different rigs.
    Also part of the "Can it bug you out?" how much gear are you going to be hauling?

Driver knowledge.
    What does your chosen rig do when faced with likely BOV scenarios? Dropping a tire off the shoulder to get around someone, jumping a curb onto a sidewalk to get around someone, or having to drive down a steep grade (like the side of a highway). If you don't know, find out.
    What is the range of your vehicle? Not the 600 miles between fillups that it can do on the interstate, but when going 1-30 mph on a trail.

There were more, but I cannot recall them ATM, will add when I think of more that we had in that thread.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=37258

Quote Originally Posted by QuietShootr View Post
    Both. Vehicles and mods for 'survival applications' is what I had in mind for the tacked thread.

Closer to back together:

Last edited by Nathan_Bell; 08-15-11 at 15:09. Reason: added Link

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Here is my only options currently

"After I shot myself, my training took over and I called my parents..." Texas Grebner

"Take me with a grain of salt, my sarcasm does not relate well over the internet"

Jonathan Morehouse

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast