Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best issued ruck marching boot

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Best issued ruck marching boot

I am getting ready to go to a school that requires a LOT of ruck marching. They only allow issue boots but you can gucci them out if you like. Does anyone out there have any suggestions of boots to buy that are ISSUED to the army or authorized army issue boots? Any favorite brands already used? Also does anyone know of a good online resoling service?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Get yourself a pair of good insoles, for whichever boots you end up getting. Makes a big difference when rucking.

Sole insoles are pretty much top of the pops.

http://www.amazon.com/Sole-Unisex-So.../dp/B001N0LDVQ

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I wore Belleville 390s on rucks ranging from 5-18 miles over the past few years. They're sturdy, inexpensive, light and comfortable. I wore nothing but issued socks (never changed during the ruck) and I never had hot spots or blisters.

You probably know about all of the moleskin, sock preference, insole, etc. crap so I won't get into that.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Just came out of a school that authorized only "issue" boots. A lot of guys wore the Blackhawk Warrior Wear boots and the Cadre did not have a problem. I wore my issued Altama Hot Weather boots for ruck-marches and almost all of my toe nails are now black and about to fall off.

To play it safe, I'd recommend wearing the issue Belleville Goretex/Cold-Weather boots. Make sure they give you enough room in the toe box, and you can duct-tape some of the seams inside the boot to avoid rubbing. My Cold Weather Bellevilles are infinitely more comfortable than my Hot Weather Altamas and are waterproof to boot. Finally, mole skin the shit out of your hot-spots before you move (but you probably already knew that). Good luck, and I hope this was helpful.
    Last edited by Kchen986; 08-15-11 at 12:28.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've used Oakley hot weather boots for a few years. I had no problems with my feet at the EFMB qual ruck march (or any other event) during or after with them. Left the standard insoles in and used issue socks and LOTS of foot powder.

Feedback Score
    I hate playing the "issue" only game. I know exactly what you mean.
    I highly recommend going to a place like "Fleet feet" that custom cut and even fit store bought insoles. They check your step with 1K more care than even the most sincere Drill Sergeant at Benning. I always bring my desired boot to them and have them check 'em, and fit my insoles.
    As far as insoles go I love my Green Superfeet, your color choice may vary on foot type, but most guys use the green ones.
    For boots that fit the issue requirement I use my Belleville 390 Deserts. I lucked into a pair in 2003 and they do the job. I recently got a Nomex pair that are only slightly heavier but give great support. Nothing beats my LOWA's, but unfortunately Big Army hates them.

Good Luck,
    SOS
    With Skill, Knowledge & Determination, YOU WILL PREVAIL!
    Join our Facebook Fan Page for Specials, Updates and Discounts!
    Questions? m4c@skdtac.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I had the best luck with re-soled Jungle (hot-weather) boots. I don't remember exactly which soles I got, but they were soft, with good traction, and a smoother heel to toe angle (instead of the pronounced OEM heel that comes on those)

Once you figure out your boots - add the following to your setup:
    - several pairs of good WOOL socks.
    - “bag-balm” - (comes in a green metal can) literally lather your feet in this stuff before you put your socks on. Pretty sure they still sell it at Wally-World. (May sound silly, but trust me it works!)

This literally made the difference between almost not making 18 miles thru the mountains and 3-4 days of painful blister recovery vs literally run-walking and zero blisters (not even a hot spot) and zero down time the next time, when I used it.

bagbalm.jpg
    Last edited by boomer223; 02-09-19 at 18:44.

Feedback Score
    Just wanted to ask about shoes. I have to go hiking in the mountains, there will be mainly a forest. The problem is that I have terrible feet, as the doctor told me, and with long walking, my feet begin to hurt. Recommended orthopedic shoes and insoles. I did not find tactical shoes or special orthopedic for such trips.

The question is if I use orthopedic insoles and one of these options of shoes, for example, will my feet get tired too?

If you know where to buy tactical or military orthopedic shoes, please let me know, I could not find

I'm from everywhere man because I'm an everywhere man....
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I know it's steering it a little off course for this thread, but I was curious if anyone here has tried the Covert Threads socks? I have a couple of pair and have some mixed feelings about them. I don't have the experience of long hard marches, but do hike a bit. Been wanting to try the Darn Tough and will probably get a couple of pair from just reading here.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Bellville 390’s with the toe caps removed. I remove all toe caps prophylactically and also have drain holes installed. I do this because I have had two sets of toe caps collapse and buckle up, which absolutely effed up the top of my toes. One happened while patrolling in swamps, one while patrolling in snowy mountains. Both were with older black boots. If I remember correctly, one was with the latest goretex lined temperate weather boot, and the other was with jungles. This is not unheard of with any brand of issued boot.

I’ve also had the liner separate in the back heel portion of the goretex bellvilles.

I’m into Smartwool socks, and the REI brand knockoffs. Wear well broken in boots, and never try anything new for the first time on a long movement. In other words, if you haven’t used a fancy trick like antiperspirant on your feet, don’t try it out on a 40 miler. Socks come in different thickness. Don’t change brands before a 40 miler.

For extended patrols, I bring two thicknesses of socks, and the thinner ones go on after my feet have swollen after a few days.

I don’t know why I’m talking in the present tense. I haven’t worn issue boots on long movements in like 5 years.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast