Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Should I use the slide release or overhand to release the slide?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Most people are surprised to see the difference in their times between the various methods of returning the slide forward. Without fail; I have numerous people in my classes switch from the overhand method to the slide stop once they see their times and the whole "gross motor skill" issue is debunked

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    Grant, I agree with all of your points, but different strokes for different folks. But for me personally, my slide stop is difficult to manipulate so racking the slide works better/faster for me.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sry0fcr View Post
    works better/faster for me.
    I teach 3 methods in my courses and then let the students choose for themselves. Each student has to try each method though. As long as I have exposed them to the material and they have tried it; I don't care if they stick with the overhand method. It's certainly a viable method

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sry0fcr View Post
    Grant, I agree with all of your points, but different strokes for different folks. But for me personally, my slide stop is difficult to manipulate so racking the slide works better/faster for me.
    Understand. What kind of gun are you running?

C4

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrolAR View Post

I teach 3 methods in my courses and then let the students choose for themselves. Each student has to try each method though. As long as I have exposed them to the material and they have tried it; I don't care if they stick with the overhand method. It's certainly a viable method
    Ya I am the same way. I explain the positives and negatives, ask them to try it and then let go from there.

C4

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    What is funny is that some instructors who eschew using the slide release because it is a "fine motor skill' will then go and advocate even finer motor skills like easing to the trigger to the reset point after each shot, or taking the slack out of the trigger, or starting on the trigger pull as you extend the gun out.

To those people I say, c'mon, guys, you can't have it both ways--you can't say that one technique is too fine motor and then teach things that are even more fine motor.

I have seen people who were sold the slingshotting or overhand slide release method act like they had some tactical truth revealled to them.

I remember posting on another board that I had a Kimber Warrior that sometimes failed to feed when I put a mag in and hit the slide release (among other problems with that turd of a gun). I had the local board expert try to explain to me that I was doing it wrong by hitting the slide release, to which I pointed out that I had taken classes from veterans of the top gunfighting unit in the US army who all taught using the slide release.

BTW, I love this chart for people who say that they could care less.

Quote Originally Posted by Dachs View Post

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    I feel like I should note that my urging toward a slide-release reload is based on the user being able to reach and operate the slide-release.
    There are some that simply cannot drop a standard Glock slide with the thumb. Doesn't make much sense to insist on utilization of that feature if it isn't going to work.
    However, I also tend to make my weapons work for me, be it slightly enlarged control or making a platform change to something that fits the shooter.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I've been taught both ways. I've had respected trainers tell me that overhand slide release is more consistent than trying to reach around to the slide release and I've been taught the opposite. I've been told that overhand is better if your hand is slippery and bloody, and I just had Louis Awerbuck tell me that your hand is stickier when bloody.

In the end, I've gone to overhand slide release pointed downrange rather than the "workspace" concept because I do believe in the "gross vs fine motor skill" concept, as well as the fact that overhand at least allows you to keep the gun pointed downrange rather than upstairs at your loved ones hiding under the bed in the upstairs bedroom or a team member clearing the stairs.

In the end, we all have to make the decisions about weapons manipulation that make sense to us and fit our physical capabilities the best.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I was taught the overhand method as well. I am switching to the slide release after my first Vickers class.....those in the LEO business would call this a clue...

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I am left handed and have used SIGs, 1911s and now Glocks. It's almost hopeless chasing that lever around. For me, on the Glocks at least, I do the tilt inboard and sling shot method. I don't buy the fine motor argument. I just can't reach it easily.

Should I ever transition to something with an ambi slide release like an M&P or P30, I will try to transition to the release.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast