Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Should I use the slide release or overhand to release the slide?

Feedback Score
    I was taught at my academy the overhand with our issued glocks. However whenever I practice with my own Beretta 92 I normally end up safing the firearm when I perform that action. So my preference is with the slide stop release as it works on both platforms without me worrying about the safety being engaged.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    If you are left handed, I would think that overhand racking or slingshotting would be better--since most guns are not equipped with an ambidextrous slide release.

There are some that simply cannot drop a standard Glock slide with the thumb. Doesn't make much sense to insist on utilization of that feature if it isn't going to work.
    I dont think that anyone is insisting that people like that be forced to use the slide release.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    It would be really nice if firearms companies would actually listen to the shooters they hire to make their guns look good and make us some good bilateral guns.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed L. View Post
    If you are left handed, I would think that overhand racking or slingshotting would be better--since most guns are not equipped with an ambidextrous slide release.
    I'm a lefty and shoot a G17 w/ a Vickers slide stop. It's actually much faster and more reliable for me to use the slide stop. When I come off target, my trigger finger indexes along the slide and my middle knuckle is in perfect position to depress the release.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bp7178 View Post
    I'm also of the view that the slingshot is a very easy method to teach when engaged in assembly line firearms instruction.
    This is an important point and I think a leading reason why the slingshot or over-hand techniques are so widely encountered. These techniques make a lot of sense when teaching a large number of inexperienced or transitioning shooters in a limited time window. Glock's training department advocates this technique and even the nomenclature they use for the firearm controls reinforces it ('slide stop' not 'slide release'). Considering the widespread use of Glock pistols, Glock has probably provided this training to countless law enforcement departments and military units, and many of those base their own training curriculum off of Glock's original format.

Larry Vickers points out that among the Glock's many attributes is that it is "Incredibly simple to operate - 2 levers/buttons and 1 is optional." I'll take a SWAG that he didn't mean the magazine release was the optional one. With a large group of new shooters, teaching the slingshot/overhand method essentially eliminates the use of one control from the training. No doubt this was considered a plus when transitioning revolver shooters to the more 'complex' semiautomatic.

As pointed out earlier, this technique is also ambidextrous - no wasted time explaining different techniques due to handedness. While it is not a universal technique (for example, it won't work on a 1911 with Shok-Buffs - debate whether or not Shok-Buffs are a good idea elsewhere, but the USMC uses them on their MEUSOC 1911s), but will likely work on the majority of pistols encountered on the street or battlefield should the need arise. There are also some folks who, for whatever reason, simply cannot reach or reliably activate the slide release.

Last, it is very reliable. With new shooters reliability is more important than speed - we're more concerned that they get an empty firearm back into action than whether they can shave a second off of their reload time. Considering the high capacity of firearms like the Glock 17, the small difference in reload time may well be inconsequential for most users.

It is a very uncomplicated to train, reliable technique.

However, many of us have progressed beyond this level of instruction into training that has pushed our skills. We are looking for efficiencies wherever they can be found. Using the slide release during reloads is undeniably a faster, more efficient technique. I've trained with Larry Vickers and he certainly advocates it, and strongly recommends using the support hand thumb to activate the release in order to prevent prematurely sending the slide forward on an empty chamber. I've also trained with other instructors who use their strong thumb to trip the release, and personally have come to favor this method.

None of these techniques is the only way or the right way - they all have their place depending on the individual shooter, their training and their skill level.
    Last edited by JSGlock34; 08-15-11 at 19:39.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    There are some that simply cannot drop a standard Glock slide with the thumb. Doesn't make much sense to insist on utilization of that feature if it isn't going to work.
    I encouraged my fiance to do the slingshot for exactly this reason, even with the extreme grip reduction.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I take guff from some of the Tactical Response followers at my home range over my extended slide release.
    Evidently it is "game gear".
    Different strokes, it works for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    Anybody that owns or sells pistol versions of assault rifles is a bottom feeder, irregardless of the ban status of certain ammunition.

They are illigetimate weapons that have no real purpose other than to attract retards to the gun community.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PT Doc View Post
    I'm a lefty and shoot a G17 w/ a Vickers slide stop. It's actually much faster and more reliable for me to use the slide stop. When I come off target, my trigger finger indexes along the slide and my middle knuckle is in perfect position to depress the release.
    That is the same for me only I use a G23 (not that it changes anything) and I go ahead and put my fingertip on the slide release so I can feel it. I actually prefer it this way and would still buy a "right handed" pistol even if they made ambi slide releases.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PT Doc View Post
    If it works better for you, that is the way you should do it.

I have a suspicion that many lefthanded people have worked out their own best ways of adapting to a right-handed world, where many things are not ergonomic for them because they are designed for right handers.

Feedback Score
    At the Police Academy we were told it was user's choice.

I use the slide release.

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast