Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: WHY GLOCKS?!? WHY 9mm?!?

Feedback Score
    I also prefer straight...

Feedback Score
    I love my 2 Glocks, G26 and G17. I want to complete the 9mm set so the 19 and 34 are next.
    I used a G17 at Blackwater last year and loved it, so went out and bought one. Also got to shoot one an instructors G34. With his 33rd mag. lol
    Ran through the drill we were doing without a reload while the guys with 1911's had to reload 3-4 times!! Good fun! The 34 feels great and shoots awsome.

Would be nice if we could use Glocks for work instead of the big chunks of crap steel we have right now(S&W 5946). Unfortunately our armorers and higher-ups aren't very big fans of the platform, the main reason being that the trigger has to be pulled to disassemble the gun.

For general duty/patrol/uniform stuff, the 5946 is ok, built for the lowest common denominator that may only shoot once or twice a year, but for tactical and plainclothes duties, they suck major ass

I was recently in a covert tactical program and was working on a project to re-arm our guys with a new gun(wrote the requirements around the G19 ) to be more in-line with our international counterparts as well as give the guys a much more suitable tool for the job.
    Unfortunately I've been recently transfered and I think the re-arm is going to stall and die.....

Can't wait to get the 19 and 34!!
    I AM a CanadianGunSlinger!!!!!!

Cede Nullis

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed L. View Post
    Why straight cant as opposed to FBI cant?

Not trying to start any debate, just interested in your reasons and thoughts.

thanks,

Ed

Ed,

The FBI cant has the pistol canted 17 degrees forward (17 degrees if I remember correctly).

For most people the FBI can is more comfortable when carrying concealed (depending on body style, when you are seated the back of the seat is not pushing against the butt of the gun), and the FBI cant is easier to conceal (the bottom of the pistol grip is what is most prone to "printing" when you kneel down, bend over, etc).

When drawing the pistol from the holster, the FBI cant puts the gun at an unnatural position. What I have seen with *most* shooters is there draw stroke is slower from an FBI cant holster and the presentation from the holster resembles something that should only be executed on a bowling lane.

With the straigt drop holster (no cant), your draw stroke is straight up and out toward the target. Much more efficient and less wasted movement.

At just about every pistol class I attend, I take a few extra straight drop holsters. Usually by lunch of training day 1, *most* of the guys that showed up with FBI cant holsters are switching over to straight cant holsters.

S/F,
    Jeff

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    The less the cant the faster the draw is possible. The hand naturally goes the the pistol without excessive rolling of the wrist if the holster is straight up and down. When I first starting shooting in Limited in USPSA I had used a negative can't (muzzle slightly forward) I didn't really find it faster but some people do. It's faster if you scoop the pistol during the draw instead of coming from the top, it's a little faster but easier to F it up and drop the pistol or get a bad grip on it. I've always been more comfortable coming from the top of the pistol during the draw. What's cool about my holster (a Ghost holster) is that I can adjust it for any cant I want as well as the angle side to side.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Another one that can't conceal the straight-drop here. I prefer my guns slightly behind my strong-side hip and only carry like this. Whether it's an OWB for a carbine class or an IWB for concealment, pistol classes, and competition, I always have some amount of cant to the holster/pistol.

Since I can't conceal without the cant, I learn to live with it for all the pistol shooting I do, and actually find the 0 cant to feel extremely odd now.

ToddG Guest
    How much cant affects your draw is dependent in large part on where (around your waist) the pistol/holster is located. For an IWB holster, worn behind the hip, the cant doesn't really hurt your draw speed -- in many cases it improves the speed -- and makes the holster both more concealable and comfortable for most people with most guns.

For a gun worn at the point of the hip, a non-canted holster is going to be faster.

For a gun worn forward of the hip, a reverse cant is going to be faster.

And as always, YMMV depending on personal taste, body dynamics, and experience. I'm actually slower from a straight drop OWB "range holster" than I am from my IWB, which is probably entirely a function of practice.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Another one that can't conceal the straight-drop here. I prefer my guns slightly behind my strong-side hip and only carry like this. Whether it's an OWB for a carbine class or an IWB for concealment, pistol classes, and competition, I always have some amount of cant to the holster/pistol.

Since I can't conceal without the cant, I learn to live with it for all the pistol shooting I do, and actually find the 0 cant to feel extremely odd now.

I agree. Our plainclothes work holsters have some cant, and I tend to wear it slight behind the hip as well. Much more concealable for me.

But for shooting games and some courses, no cant works perfect, only takes me a few draws to get the feel of it.
    I AM a CanadianGunSlinger!!!!!!

Cede Nullis

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345