Thread: Shotshell Carrier 4 or 6

Feedback Score

Shotshell Carrier 4 or 6

Dumb Question...? More is better right? I've been wanting to add a shotshell carrier to my 870 and I can't decide if I want to get a 4 or 6 shell version. I keep thinking that getting the 4 would be a mistake because why not carry 6. The only advantage I can see with the 4 is that it is more compact and I don't know if that is a real advantage or not. Can anyone offer an opinion based on their actual experience?

The purpose of this shotgun is primarily defense with some fun at the range. In the future I would like to take a shotgun class.

Thanks

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    if you have the 870 that has the foreend where when you rack it to the rear, it covers part of the receiver. That will interfere with a 6 shell holder and you have to get a 4 shell. For my 870 synthetic, I wanted to use a 6 shell so I got a hogue fore end, and its grippier too

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)
    I run a four shell on my 870P with surefire fore end. A six would fit no problem but for me the four is just the right size. I keep the tube loaded with six and use the four to just top off. It is one of my HD guns so ten rounds of buck will do what I need in conjuction with my other HD guns. The four also adds less weight. If it was your primary go to gun, I might opt for the six shell version.
    "You have never lived until you have almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know." - Written by an unknown soldier in Vietnam.

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)
    I have a 4 round side saddle on my home gun and six round on my work guns. As has already been pointed out, if you have a longer fore end, the 6 round will not allow you to cycle the action completely.

Not to speak for Rob Haught, but he said that he prefers the 4 round because he prefers the balance of being able to hold the gun where the front 2 rounds of a 6 round side saddle are when performing some manipulations.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the replies. I'm aware of the additional length of the 6 shot potentially causing cycling issues. My 870 has the factory polymer fore end. I'm not sure if it would have clearance issues or not. It could always be trimmed or replaced. A good point made about handling the gun during different moves and the 6 shot getting in the way, I had not considered that. This is not my only go to defensive weapon so the 4 vs. 6 extra shells may not be a deal breaker.

Any other input?