Thread: .223 vs. .308 how much difference is there really?

Feedback Score

.223 vs. .308 how much difference is there really?

If you have a hollow point 223 round can you still have that effectiveness of a 308 fmj for a cheaper gun that weighs less?

And yes i am aware that if they were both hp rounds the 308 would still have the same type advatages but what i am asking is can you still have a highly effective kill in the 223 if it is a hp round?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Penetration will likely be far better with the 308 FMJ. You will certainly hit the target with more energy and a better sectional density.

A .223 soft point, like the 64gr Powerpoints, are a known good performer on deer sized game in states that allow such calibers to be used in big game hunting. I understand that 5.56 will kill pigs pretty cleanly too, if you know WTF you are doing.

To make a valid comparison, in my mind, you have to remove variables not introduce them in a "handicapped match-up".

I like shooting big game with 168gr Barnes TSX in 308Win. I wouldn't hesitate to use 75gr TAP on two-legged varmints, either.
    "I'm not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The... tactleneck! - Sterling Archer"
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important
    than one's fear. The timid presume it is lack of fear that allows the brave to act when the timid do not."

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Impact on the left is 223. The other 2 are 308. This is 1/2 steel at 100yds.

3 well placed 308 rounds will easily penetrate the steel. 223 would not have this penetration.

Last edited by aveisone; 08-16-11 at 11:40.