Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Any (bird) hunters on here?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Talk about Montana birds. I was elk hunting in the Beaverhead National Forest below Butte 6 yrs ago and during the middle of the day I shot 4 Franklin Grouse with my bow. They were pretty easy to get within 20 yards of before they ran away. Unfortunately that is all I shot on that hunt.
    Last edited by Watrdawg; 08-23-11 at 08:43.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have to say many of my friends come home from bow hunting elk with more Blues than elk
    "First gett'n shot, then gett'n married... baaaad habits"

"If you're gonna subscribe to hero worship, at least worship a real hero."
    M4Guru

Gal 2:20

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ArRazorback View Post
    With opening weekend of dove season around the corner, I used to always find myself torn between the first Razorback game and shooting dove. After getting a Boykin pup my mind has been made for me. Last year he picked up every bird I shot, plus two that he nosed out after friends thought they'd lost them in the field. Definitely looking forward to a successful repeat and his first duck hunt this year.
    Its usually the same for me and Miss State. Unfortunately I will miss both this year. But you better believe Im gonna blast the hell out of some bushy tails and ducks.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by M4Fundi View Post
    I have to say many of my friends come home from bow hunting elk with more Blues than elk
    Now that I think about it they were Blues and not Franklin's. Good eating birds either way.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I hunt pheasants and ducks, among other things, with my draht, Bruno. Pheasant hunting here in Iowa has been crap the last few years so I've been doing a lot more waterfowl hunting.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Watrdawg View Post
    Now that I think about it they were Blues and not Franklin's. Good eating birds either way.
    We call scaled quail blues down this way and have 50/50 mix on the ranch I hunt along w/ bobs of course.

frustating critter to retrieve off the senderos...even for the dogs.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."
    Japanese Admiral Yamamoto, 1941

"A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him toward the left."
    Ecclesiastes 10:2:

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Duck hunting here. Living in NOLA, I'm pretty close to some good marsh land. I plan to make my first trip into Arkansas this year. I'm dying for an all out mallard hunt.
    Here in America we are descended in spirit from revolutionists and rebels - men and women who dare to dissent from accepted doctrine. ~Dwight D. Eisenhower, address, Columbia University, 31 May 1954

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I go out every year to western KS on the opening day of pheasant season.

Good times.

Feedback Score
    Got a new spot for waterfowl we found while hunting turkey. Found a small lake set back in the woods with corn nearby that's great for mallards, woodies and canadas. Got new decoys. Got a few boxes of shells. Practicing calling a little. October seems so far away.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artos View Post
    We call scaled quail blues down this way and have 50/50 mix on the ranch I hunt along w/ bobs of course.

frustating critter to retrieve off the senderos...even for the dogs.
    Here in NC we have a poor quail population. Farming practices have really decreased their habitat. Farmers have changed a bit and are leaving a belt of cover for them along the edges of the fields and it's helping. The only quail hunting I've done is on game farms. It's been fun though. I've used my lab as a flusher working along with the game farms pointers. He loves the flushing part. That's the only time he gets to charge into the birds and bust them up. When we're duck hunting he has to watch his manners in the blind or boat.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast