12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lethal dose View Post
    Caucasian ovcharka.
    How old is yours?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlelebowski View Post
    So....data from personal experience?
    Friend of the family is a breeder. My experience with this breed follows right in line with the description on that website. They are very loyal and protective while at the same time being good with the family and children.

Feedback Score
    I have been working with German Shepherds for the last 7yrs. I had them as pets before that. My personal experience with the breed is that you get what you pay for.

Right now I have a female that really wouldn't be suitable for guard duty. She doesn't bark, is more curious than protective, and thinks that anyone wielding food must be her friend. She comes from Czech working lines, but makes a better service dog than guard dog. She'd rather cuddle up on the couch than go out and do bite work.

On the other hand I have a male that will not let a stranger come close to me unless I tell him its ok. He is a titled dog who is voracious on the bit sleeve, enthusiastic on the track, and stone cold on obedience. He's absolutely perfect around his little pack but watch out if you're a stranger and want to raise your voice or rough house around me.

Moral of the story, within a breed you get different dogs. Are German Shepherds a good breed for guard dogs? I don't think there is a better one, but you aren't going to get what you're looking for by just choosing a breed. I know golden retrievers that are meaner than my female.

Decide on a breed that has the right traits for what you want (germans, dobermans, pits, mastiffs... will all do what you're wanting) Then find a breeder and tell them what you're looking for. They may have what you want or help you find it. Good, stable working dogs are not cheap even as un-trained puppies.
    There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.
    -Ernest Hemingway

Feedback Score
    59 (100%)
    -get a dog that is a true omnivore. While it sounds like an absurd statement, I know far too many people who have dogs that are picky eaters on a special diet, etc. Both of mine will inhale a leaf of lettuce if it's put in their bowl - I've done it many times just for people that won't believe it. I had to fence my garden as my dogs will eat tomatoes off the vine. However, it makes feeding them in inopportune times easy, they'll truly eat anything!

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Something for alert? Jack Russell or some sort of terrier. Their lineage was to track small vermin, and they usually have excellent eyesight with good instinct to alert.

Something for physical defense/security? Belgian Malinois, but only because they are typically smaller than a GSD and would hopefully eat and drink less. Otherwise, GSD.

A Schutzhund trained Boxer/boxer mix would be a good dog too -- IMO.
    "I'm not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The... tactleneck! - Sterling Archer"
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important
    than one's fear. The timid presume it is lack of fear that allows the brave to act when the timid do not."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Reagans Rascals View Post
    She has backed down my Miniature Doberman Pincer,
    There is no such thing a miniature Doberman - your Min Pin isnt even related.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dobie View Post
    ... isnt even related.
    I'm being pedantic about it, but they are both in Canis lupus familiaris. Making them related.

The Min Pin was around over 100 years before the Dobermann Pinscher showed up (you knew that).
    "I'm not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The... tactleneck! - Sterling Archer"
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important
    than one's fear. The timid presume it is lack of fear that allows the brave to act when the timid do not."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVAN View Post
    I'm being pedantic about it, but they are both in Canis lupus familiaris. Making them related.

The Min Pin was around over 100 years before the Dobermann Pinscher showed up (you knew that).
    Sorry its one of my ahem "pet peeves" as is the whole Warlock thing....sigh.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlelebowski View Post
    How old is yours?
    294 in dog years. 42 in people years.
    Acta Non Verba

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    German Shepherd

Page 5 of 39 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast