Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: SHTF/GUARD DOG BREEDS

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TriumphRat675 View Post
    +1. Truer words...
    I can take a joke & I know some people are just not dog people, I'm not much of a kid person FWIW, but seriously, there is no friend a man can have that will be more loyal and true than a dog. Infact in many places in the world, man's very meals come from the hard work & help of a dog & his nose. For some their every waking moment is spent working and trying to please their masters. Why would I ever consider eating my best friend? I wouldn't suggest to someone in a bad situation to eat their kids, so lets leave that kind of talk from this thread please.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I had not even thought of adopting, damn good idea LL. Are shepherds good around other dogs, chickens, livestock...? I might try and start up a funny farm in the next couple years too.

Thanks Bro

Quote Originally Posted by Littlelebowski View Post
    I know you personally HW, so I'm not worried about you being one of those mouth breathers that thinks that a big dog is a better dog and a sort of penis extension.

I think that you are doing the right thing researching this because a large dog like this with such low ownership in the US is a relative unknown. Especially around a family.

Personally, were I you; I'd look around for a 3-5 yr old Shepherd. By that age, they've mellowed and are truly excellent family and guard dogs. My last dog was just such an animal and a more noble dog I have not seen.

The problem with researching new dog breeds is most of the time you just hear a bunch of bullshit about how great the breed is from folks that have pride of ownership (just like firearms).

You could also consider adopting a military working dog washout from Lackland Air Force Base. Many fail due to lack of aggression and are fine dogs. Mals and Shepherds.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hootiewho View Post
    I had not even thought of adopting, damn good idea LL. Are shepherds good around other dogs, chickens, livestock...? I might try and start up a funny farm in the next couple years too.

Thanks Bro
    A German Shepherd will be fine with other dogs and livestock given proper leadership and guidance. I grew up on an 85k acre cattle ranch with a German Shepherd as my constant companion. You need to exert positive leadership and let the dog know its boundaries. These dogs need a human Alpha.

I'd look for a 2-4 yr old male, even a 5 yr old. A dog that is not afraid of you, meeting your eyes with a direct gaze but not aggressive either.

There's a guy on LightFighter that breeds and sells good GSDs on LightFighter. I trust him implicitly and can put you in touch with him.

Feedback Score
    i have a 7 year old belgian malinois and a 5 year old chihuaha/boston terrier mutt thing. they seem to be the near perfect combination for detecting and detering. the mal is starting to go deaf, somewhat lazy, and lives a pretty laidback lifestyle. the mutt hears, sees, smells everything and will fight or bite anyone/thing that crosses him wrong. there has been 2 occasions where people were breaking into cars in the neighborhood, and started jumping fences to go yard to yard. i was in the garage messing with something, the mal was by my side chewing on a bone, the mutt was in the yard. i hear him start going crazy barking and growling, the second he went off the other dog sprang to action and i hear a zombie type character start yelling and hear running. by the time i got into the yard all i see is a bloody leg falling over the fence. the little dog caught his size 8 nike and ripped it off while the big dog caught him on the ass and worked down the back of the leg. they remind me of the little guy in the bar who will talk a big game because he has the big corn-fed buddy standing behind him. Lady(belgian malinois) and The Beast(mutt) i feel would serve me pretty well in any SHTF situation.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Herding/Working dogs are invariably best though they require effort.

If we're talking about SHTF I'd think a 80+ lb dog might consume a lot of resources. My thoughts were that two 35-45 lb dogs represent a more efficient solution.

Two breeds I'd look at are either the Queensland Heeler/Australian Kelpie or the Canaan Dog. Very smart, very loyal and very adaptable to a variety of roles (herding, guard). The Canaan Dog especially is notorious for its ability to spot out of place things/people and is almost paranoid about survival.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have a Neapolitan Mastiff. She's sleeps a lot and she's probably not the greatest dog for SHTF but if anyone acts like they're gonna hit me or the rest of my family or even jumps on me (like my little cousins) she gets pissed and bites at them and gets them away from me.

And she has gained a few pounds of muscle since this pic. She's a little over 2 years old and she'll get thicker but this is about as tall as she'll get.

Oh, and they were bread to guard palaces in ancient Rome or something like that. And she does use her weight against you. She's probably 120 or 130 pounds by now.
    “WE THE PEOPLE are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

~ Abraham Lincoln

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Cane Corso(Italian Mastiff)

Last edited by wahoo95; 08-19-11 at 17:23.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    GSD or Cane Corso for me.

I'm full up right now & with one very protective dog, so I'm good. However, when the time comes a Corso will be my next dog.
    Last edited by Stangman; 08-19-11 at 17:02.

Feedback Score
    I like German shepards myself, but right now I have a boxer-chatahoola mix

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hootiewho View Post
    I can take a joke & I know some people are just not dog people, I'm not much of a kid person FWIW, but seriously, there is no friend a man can have that will be more loyal and true than a dog. Infact in many places in the world, man's very meals come from the hard work & help of a dog & his nose. For some their every waking moment is spent working and trying to please their masters. Why would I ever consider eating my best friend? I wouldn't suggest to someone in a bad situation to eat their kids, so lets leave that kind of talk from this thread please.

Lighten up, I happen to be a former US Army Working Dog handler. I know the value of a dog. I also understand the liabilities of taking care of an animal in a combat zone. It's not all positive.

Best,

Aaron
    - more like I am now than I was before..

Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast