Page 37 of 39 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 LastLast

Thread: SHTF/GUARD DOG BREEDS

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottsBad View Post
    Caucasian Shepard.

Not a very practical dog, however. Especially, when they get up around 180 pounds.
    Size wise it is impressive and intimidating, but all the biting I saw was not impressive at all. The dogs grips sucked, it was bitting all over was never content with the bite and hold. Never got a full grip on the "probable enemy", always grabbed with front teeth only. Could be a training issue. I would take a Dutchie, Mal or a solid working line GSD any day over this.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BG94591 View Post
    Size wise it is impressive and intimidating, but all the biting I saw was not impressive at all. The dogs grips sucked, it was bitting all over was never content with the bite and hold. Never got a full grip on the "probable enemy", always grabbed with front teeth only. Could be a training issue. I would take a Dutchie, Mal or a solid working line GSD any day over this.
    Almost every attack the dogs were muzzled

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BG94591 View Post
    One thing to note in the video is that the Caucasian likes to use it's body and size to knock the target down, which I think is impressive. Some of the examples in the video do that others do not. Watch the video again and look at the tackles.

Like I said it is not a practical dog, but the Russians used them to keep their prisoners in line. The big ones are over 6 feet standing. Never underestimate a 150-200 pound dog.

The truth is that dogs, in general, are not practical in a SHTF situation, they must be fed too. Barks can give you away, they leave tracks everywhere, Maybe if you had a compound with plenty of food, but that is iffy. To me the real use is as an alarm, and you don't need a 180 pound dog for that.

If I were in the true mythical SHTF situation, my dogs would be let go, or turned into food. That is the stark reality.

BTW I don't own one of these, my dogs are pets for the kids and I have no use for a guard dog except to act as an alarm.
    Last edited by ScottsBad; 01-19-17 at 11:58.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I still want one of the Russians just because I want to leash a bear and walk around
    Last edited by jpmuscle; 01-19-17 at 12:38.

Feedback Score
    A friend has an irish terrier, incredible watchdog, playful guardian for her twin 6yr olds, and just the right size for a small home!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Ramairthree, one tactic that might help with your pup is separation as negative reinforcement. When she obviously misbehaves, you could put her in a crate set aside for that purpose. Very soon she will make the connection between messing up and being separated from the pack(you). Constantly demanding your attention might be one of her tactics to establish dominance. If the pup could have stayed with her mother longer, mother probably would have taught her some manners with nips. Likewise, siblings would have helped in this manner also. Reading about this breed has revealed that these dogs when puppies are super puppies in every respect, and they stay in this stage--energy wise--for quite a while. You have a fine dog.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tanktop View Post
    Almost every attack the dogs were muzzled
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There were were quite a few non muzzle attacks.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottsBad View Post
    One thing to note in the video is that the Caucasian likes to use it's body and size to knock the target down, which I think is impressive. Some of the examples in the video do that others do not. Watch the video again and look at the tackles.

Like I said it is not a practical dog, but the Russians used them to keep their prisoners in line. The big ones are over 6 feet standing. Never underestimate a 150-200 pound dog.

The truth is that dogs, in general, are not practical in a SHTF situation, they must be fed too. Barks can give you away, they leave tracks everywhere, Maybe if you had a compound with plenty of food, but that is iffy. To me the real use is as an alarm, and you don't need a 180 pound dog for that.

If I were in the true mythical SHTF situation, my dogs would be let go, or turned into food. That is the stark reality.

BTW I don't own one of these, my dogs are pets for the kids and I have no use for a guard dog except to act as an alarm.
    A lot of dogs use their bodies for weapons, the Dutch call it blocking. If you ever see a 75 lb fur missle running at you as fast as they can and smash into someone, that's impressive. My old dog would impact decoys so hard that they complain of head aches after he was done. I had to retire him early because he hit so hard and he'd hurt himself.

You are right they had a specific purpose of prisoner control (I believe they showed the in that Russian prison documentary, Black Dolphin), which I wouldn't want one of those behemoths grabbing a hold of me no matter how crappy I think their bite is. And you're right about the food, barking and potentially becoming food in a SHTF scenario.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    When I went to work for the Texas prison system in 1981, each unit had its own tracking dogs--all hounds like Walker blue tick, red bone, etc. None were attack dogs, and most, if not, all showed typical hound friendliness. Catching the runner was a game to them. The dog sgt followed closely behind on horseback along with other mounted guards. Fences were cut as necessary and repaired later. Biting was not a requirement.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I could never let my dogs go or eat them. No matter what, we have no children. Our dogs are our kids. One is a pit mix, unknown what with. The other is a ridgeback/am staff mix. The ridgeback is the boy and he is around 75lb. Fast and strong as hell. They are both amazing dogs. No temperament problems and they like to play with the 2 german shepherd neighbors. They make very good alarms and I have no doubts about them being very pissed if someone came through our door uninvited. Not saying trained guard dog reaction, but it'll damn sure put someone on notice. Shtf scenario, probably not good for the ridgeback. But the pittie is a bad bitch at killing stuff. Coons, possums whatever. She is good and finding and flushing critters out. He has yet to kill anything and wants to be friends with most critters.

Page 37 of 39 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 LastLast