Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nightforces zero retention

Feedback Score

Nightforces zero retention

Never wanted to throw my gun on the ground, but I figured the first time it happened I'd check and document it holding zero. I'm very impressed, this will not be my last nightforce.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScSPdQejRGw

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    Thanks for the video. My experiences echo yours with regard to the quality of the Nightforce optics. A group of guys I train with used bunch of Nightforces and Leupolds during a sniper course last spring. The 90 minute a day ride to and from the ranges in the back of an truck were hard on the guns and optics to say the least. There was a mix of vibration and shocks as well as rain, sleet, hail, and bright sunny days (gotta love the Pacific Northwest). That's in addition to the actual shooting and stalks. I considered it a pretty good test of an optics ruggedness. I used a Nightforce and didn't have any POI shift that couldn't be attributed to conditions or different lots of ammo. I didn't use a Leupold personally but I didn't hear many complaints about them either. The Nightforce had brighter glass and more positive clicks. Just goes to show you, buy quality the first time around.
    Last edited by mkmckinley; 08-19-11 at 08:35.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    That's kids' stuff. The Nightforce video sometimes seen on "Long Range Pursuit" (hunting show) shows how they're made and the abuse they can take.

They whack them on a hard surface and put them back in the fixture to check reticle integrity.

I wish I had the segment to post... but you get a REAL idea of what you get when you pay for good optics.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I wonder if any Seals ever treat their nxs compacts and nxs 3.5's roughly, prob. not but it's a thought... they might get scratched when they perform HALO/HAHO jumps, or fast rope down into the Hindu Kush Mtn. Peaks. I bet the salt H20 contact during operations using the Mk VIII Mod 1 minisub and a DDS is just like dipping them into a lake, however oddly enough NF still performs 10 extra hrs. of salt water immersion tests on them vs. the civilian NF variety.

If I want a tough piece of glass I'm gonna be looking UTG or Leaper's way...no offense to those dainty ass NF's, I just have mall's to protect and need an appropriately rugged optic for the job.
    Last edited by ALCOAR; 08-19-11 at 10:51.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TRIDENT82 View Post
    I wonder if any Seals ever treat their nxs compacts and nxs 3.5's roughly, prob. not but it's a thought... they might get scratched when they perform HALO/HAHO jumps, or fast rope down into the Hindu Kush Mtn. Peaks. I bet the salt H20 contact during operations using the Mk VIII Mod 1 minisub and a DDS is just like dipping them into a lake, however oddly enough NF still performs 10 extra hrs. of salt water immersion tests on them vs. the civilian NF variety.

If I want a tough piece of glass I'm gonna be looking UTG or Leaper's way...no offense to those dainty ass NF's, I just have mall's to protect and need an appropriately rugged optic for the job.

My mind is full of ****. What are you saying? Did we start using seals and dolphins in our fight against terrorism?

OP, its good to see that you are getting the standard quality that is expected with NF glass.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    That's kids' stuff. The Nightforce video sometimes seen on "Long Range Pursuit" (hunting show) shows how they're made and the abuse they can take.

They whack them on a hard surface and put them back in the fixture to check reticle integrity.

I wish I had the segment to post... but you get a REAL idea of what you get when you pay for good optics.

I don't have cable, but I'd like to see that if you could post it!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Man... that show is COOL... Even though is somewhat Fudd oriented. All the principles are tied to long range precision shooting.

These guys teach shooters to make consistent 1000 yard hits. And they regularly feature 750-1000 yard med/big game kills with sloped shots and everything.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    <snip> Found the one I wanted below.....
    Last edited by markm; 08-30-11 at 16:25.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Here is THE video....

This is why I want a Nightforce Scope, Jack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoPHj...er_profilepage

Feedback Score
    Thanks Mark! I saved that one to my favorites!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast