Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Badger bolt handle?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave L. View Post
    Definitely not a necessity.
    Definitely is a strong word, when dealing with such a broad issue.

I've not had a rifle that didn't benefit from a knob. The stock handles, especially in the case of a rem700 can be very short when combined with aftermarket stocks. This is very true of the wider ones such as the AICS. The likes of McMillan or Manners generally are a bit thinner, but it is still noticeable.

Another reason I find stock handles lacking in their length is during bolt throw. Often, the end of the handle is right in line with the ocular lens of the optic. In the case of larger scopes, this leads to tearing up the knuckle of my thumb. It also forces me to operate the bolt out on the tip of the knob, and when sweaty or wet, its not that difficult to slip off mid throw. This is especially true when having to work the bolt while moving between two stations of a match, or positional shooting.

Along that same token, often I'll be wearing gloves either due to the rough rocky terrain or the cold. When its cold, wearing thicker gloves to keep my hands from freezing makes bolt manipulation a real chore. This is most notable when coyote hunting and matches... where both situations require very fast follow-up shots to re-engage a miss or to engage additional targets.

So while your statement is correct for some rifles with some stocks in some situations... it is hardly an item that I'd use "definitely not a necessity" to describe.

It is a singular advancement in the form of bolt action rifles that allows the user greater freedom of position and movement when cycling the bolt. It is not just some "fad" that the kids are doing these days. It has real world benefits to some. However, I laughed very much at your snipershide comment, as my take on that crew is very similar to the one you must hold.
    Greg Dykstra
    Primal Rights, Inc.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by orkan View Post
    Definitely is a strong word, when dealing with such a broad issue.
    So while your statement is correct for some rifles with some stocks in some situations... it is hardly an item that I'd use "definitely not a necessity" to describe.
    I still stand by my statement. The gun will function properly without an aftermarket knob upgrade. An aftermarket bolt knob is an accessory, not a reliability upgrade. I prefer them, that's why I have on both my 700's. The gun will still kill and make little tiny groups on paper with the standard bolt handle, so it's "definitely not a necessity".
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    I'm w/ okran on this one. You can work the bolt so much faster w/ a badger knob installed. It clears the scope and butler caps much easier.
    Now it's all in what you use it for,and with mine I use it for tactical matches, but that's the theme of this sub forum it seems.

I like the way my smith installed mine, it gave me an easy grip on the knob and really improved the throw.

Last edited by dieselgeek; 08-24-11 at 09:35.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Those knobs are nice for sure. But I'm leaving mine alone for now.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Those knobs are nice for sure. But I'm leaving mine alone for now.
    Oh come on, it's only another benny, don't be a pussy

(even though it's not a necessity)
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I know.... I thought I was sitting pretty with a $500 700. Pretty soon it'll snowball into $2500.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I know.... I thought I was sitting pretty with a $500 700. Pretty soon it'll snowball into $2500.

Oh mark. I feel you.

Last year I drove up to see my family in KS and do some deer hunting. All I had for a rifle was my AR. So I stopped into bass pro and picked up this funky barrel .308 for $750
    I put a leupold mark 4 10x40 LR/T scope on it and grabbed a bipod while I was @ BP.

Then came a new bipod and butt stock pouch and a stock.

THEN... I wanted to to shoot a lil further. so I bought a nightforce NXS

Well then I though I was ready to do a match. Well the lack of DMB and short timed stages ( on top of some nerves) royally ****ed me.
    Sooo AICS which had DBM and a new badger knob. I think I'm in around $4K now It's gonna happen mark, it's gonna happen.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselgeek View Post
    All I had for a rifle was my AR. So I stopped into bass pro and picked up this funky barrel .308 for $750.
    Not to hijack this thread too bad, but what kind of groups do you get form that triangle barrel? I know the OEM stock is shit and destroys inherent accuracy, but it looks like you solved that problem.

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    Not to hijack this thread too bad, but what kind of groups do you get form that triangle barrel? I know the OEM stock is shit and destroys inherent accuracy, but it looks like you solved that problem.
    This is a .304 MOA 3 shot group @ 500 yards After seeing this, I set up that bottle and smoked it on the first shot. I'd say it's consistently getting .5 MOA groups, and when I do my part I can get it under that. My best groups end up being .3 to .4 MOA.

Last edited by dieselgeek; 08-24-11 at 11:06.

Feedback Score
    An aftermarket bolt knob is an accessory, not a reliability upgrade.
    Actually... that is exactly what it is. Without it, under certain circumstances, you cannot reliably cycle your bolt. Simple as that. By your definition, every aftermarket part in existence, including stocks and triggers are "accessories." All of them change the "function" of the rifle or the "reliability." That is why we put them on in the first place. Well, OK, some people put them on just to make their rifle look more "snipery." (see snipershide reference or your original post)

However, virtually everything we add to these rifles makes them either function more reliably, or enhances accuracy.

Is a big bolt knob needed? No. So if that is your singular point. I agree.

However, bolt knobs are wanted for the same reasons stocks, triggers, bases, bipods, slings, and everything else we stick on a rifle after its purchase is needed; They help us hit our damn target every time or operate the rifle in the fashion we prefer every time. Reliably, and consistently.

So again the "definitely not a necessity" statement would ENTIRELY depend upon the role the rifle is being used in. Because I guarantee you the first coyote double you let slip or the first match stage you stumble in that costs you the match due to your bolt work not being sound as a result of your thumb getting knocked off the bolt handle because it slammed into your ocular bell or illumination adjustment (huge problem for left handed shooters)... you'll definitely think its a necessity after that!

I'm finding it strange that you argue against it, and don't spend any time listing the benefits, yet have them on your rifles.
    Greg Dykstra
    Primal Rights, Inc.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast