Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: New Federal Cartridge shotgun loads for LE

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Skintop911 View Post
    This is not to poke at your work, but food for thought:

The B27 is an exceptionally generous target and skews perception of hit potential. I think your 30yd number is a good one, but I would use a more realistic target to determine how far I could stretch out, and how many of my pellets are within more optimal impact areas in addition to the target at large.

Take this example of OOB fired on a B21 type. If fired on a B27, a shooter might perceive they had much more distance potential than they actually do.

I agree that the B27 is a generous target. I use it primarily because it is what we use at work and, therefore, it is a standard for which to compare. We all know a person isn't going to stand in perfect silhouette for you to shoot at him but you have to start somewhere and it reasonably approximates a human in silhouette, though perhaps a bit large.

I don't like the scoring rings on the B27 in particular as a center chest hit is scored lower than a high gut shot and a low gut shot is the same as a chest hit. Not terribly realistic and designed more as a marksmanship test than a combat training aid. Don't even get me started on using it, and that scoring system, for a Police qualification.

I'm not familiar with the B21 but at a glance it almost looks like it is intentionally proportioned wrong. The head looks too large for the body. Is that the case or is it just an illusion from the photo?
    Last edited by Altair; 06-23-12 at 23:58.
    Advanced techniques are the basics mastered.

Excellence is an art won by training and habit. We are what we repeatedly do. -- Aristotle

Pistol/Shotgun/Rifle Instructor
    Sig/Remington/RRA/Sabre Armorer

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Altair View Post
    I don't like the scoring rings on the B27 in particular as a center chest hit is scored lower than a high gut shot and a low gut shot is the same as a chest hit. Not terribly realistic and designed more as a marksmanship test than a combat training aid. Don't even get me started on using it, and that scoring system, for a Police qualification.
    Copy all.

I'm not familiar with the B21 but at a glance it almost looks like it is intentionally proportioned wrong. The head looks too large for the body. Is that the case or is it just an illusion from the photo?
    Bad photog. Head is more proportional than depicted.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    http://www.kylesgunshop.com has Federal LE132-1B low recoil #1 in stock for $5.99 per box or $49.99 for 50. A dollar per shell, but I'm passing it along since there seems to be a lot of interest.

Feedback Score
    Just ordered 50rd of that TruBall Deep Penetrator slug. Good stuff for cover penetration with the shotgun!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Old_Painless View Post
    That's outstanding.

I had been bugging ADK the last couple of years at the SHOT Show about these loads, and was told they were on the way. Glad that they finally did it.
    Thanks for your efforts on this project OP. Its been several years in the making.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skintop911 View Post
    During a shotgun range session a few years ago, I set up at 100yds with what I thought was a box of slugs. I fired five and marched back to check my hits. Finding none, I quickly realized what had happened.
    Holding down the target stand was an ammo can with several boxes of rounds. Looking at it more closely, I found an entrance hole on one side, and an exit on the other. The stuff in between had obviously been struck too.

While full ammo cans are not people, that single 00B pellet had enough energy to get through the can. I suspect it would have injured a fleshier target quite handily.
    Where I live, there is a 215 yard range that has a rather firm top-layer of soil/grass. More described maybe as "dirt and weeds". One day when I was the only one there, I let rip with my M4 Benelli aiming at about the 75 yard mark on the ground (nothing downrange but steel and the berm). Dumped a magazine of #4 3" buck. The whole field looked like one of those cheap western movie-sets where the sand squirts up from a gatling-gun. They travelled that 215 yards very handily, bouncing every 50 yards or so after the first hit. I can't imagine they got above person-height. Very very disconcerting if you think about a miss with buckshot in a parking-lot or some such.

Also, to add more to the topic (sorry for the necro, I was just Googling and found this thread...)

Here is long-range buckshot test with calibrated gel:
    #4B
    http://youtu.be/3VTk_7884r8?list=PLf...0t21ehJx9moObn
    00B
    http://youtu.be/S546W_L0tFo?list=PLf...0t21ehJx9moObn

I would imagine than #1B falls somewhere in the middle, logically.

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415