Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: New Federal Cartridge shotgun loads for LE

Feedback Score

New Federal Cartridge shotgun loads for LE

Given Brenneke USA's recent QC issues and the unfortunate unavailability of true Rotweil Brennke loads in the U.S. currently, we have been looking for alternative slug loads that are capable of adequate penetration after first defeating intermediate barriers. We shot the new Federal (PB127 DPRS) Truball Deep Penetrator 1 oz slug load @ 1350 fps (http://www.federalpremium.com/produc...ug.aspx?id=902). It penetrated 24" of gel after first defeating an automobile windshield, with no deviation from trajectory and outstanding weight retention. The Federal Truball Deep Penetrator works as a potential Brenneke replacement. As a bonus, it is very accurate out to at least 100 yards.

-----------------------------

Based on IWBA data, Don Hacklander from San Diego Police Supply and I have been discussing the potential of a properly designed #1 buckshot LE load for many years--with Don's help and the efforts of some folks at ATK, this has now finally been brought to fruition!

We shot the new Federal #1 buckshot, 15 pellet, 1100 fps "Flight Control" load (LE132-1B) yesterday out of a generic 18" 870P, including patterning from 5-35 yards, as well as a bare gel shot at 7 yards. In bare gel, all 15 of the 30 caliber plated pellets penetrated in the 14-18 inch range.

This new Federal LE132-1B #1 buckshot load offers IDEAL terminal performance for LE and self-defense use and is the best option for those who need to use shot shells for such purposes.

Below are a couple photos of patterning shots at 7 and 25 yards:

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Based on IWBA data, Don Hacklander from San Diego Police Supply and I have been discussing the potential of a properly designed #1 buckshot LE load for many years--with Don's help and the efforts of some folks at ATK, this has now finally been brought to fruition!
    Congratulations!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Very nice Doc.Thanks for your persistence and work in bringing about this new #1 buck load.
    Good to know about the slugs,too.
    A fine is a tax for doing wrong.A tax is a fine for doing well.

Feedback Score
    You done good! Did you have to smack anyone at Federal between the eyes with a 2x4 to get them to understand?

It's disturbing that it took 15 years after Gus Cotey proved the superiority of #1 buckshot.

Why did it take so long? When I spoke to Federal (about 15 years ago - after Cotey's article was published in WBR) they were more concerned about a market for a #1 buckshot LE/defense load (will it sell?) than in offering a superior terminal ballistics capability.

Well done to both of you, Doc and Mr. Hacklander!!!
    Shawn Dodson

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    That 25 yd pattern looks amazing, and that 7 yd pattern almost looks like a slug!

I'll definitely be looking into this.

Thanks to both you and Don for the persistence on getting this pushed through.

Feedback Score
    Very promising
    "The 1911 was the design given by God to us through John M. Browning that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and is true now."—Colonel Robert J. Coates, USMC

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    That 25 yard pattern is pretty damn impressive. It made me think about taking a 12ga on shift instead of my M4...but only for a second.
    US Army Military Police 97-03
    Federal LEO/M.R.T. 05-Present
    NRA Life Member

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter."
    -E. Hemingway

"I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it."
    -Jack Nicholson (A Few Good Men, 1992)

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Excellent news. Those appear to be exactly what guys who carry the shotgun have needed for years.

Feedback Score
    Nice, I dig #1 buck for HD already, but loved that Hornady LR TAP 00 patterned like that 25yd photo in my 870 (at 25 yds). Looks like I can have the best of both worlds now!

15 separate .30 cal 14-18" wound channels is about as good as it gets for terminal performance.
    "The world's a dangerous place – we can help." -www.portlandfirearmtraining.com
    NRA LE Handgun-Shotgun Instructor/Life Member

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    That's just sexy. I'll have to get me some of those for patrol use.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast