Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: New Federal Cartridge shotgun loads for LE

Feedback Score
    As noted in the first post of this thread:

"This new Federal LE132-1B #1 buckshot load offers IDEAL terminal performance for LE and self-defense use and is the best option for those who need to use shot shells for such purposes."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by snakyjake View Post
    How does this load compare to the ever popular 00 buckshot loads for self/home defense?
    Id imagine they are fairly similar but with bigger pellets than the 00. But both will probably put a man in him ass in no time

Feedback Score
    I was wondering the same thing...

For example, it would be nice to know 'recoil' values for this new load as compared to others, like LE132-00. It would seem obvious that recoil will be somewhat greater, but knowing how much greater would be something I would like to know.

What formula is used to calculate recoil?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggity View Post
    Id imagine they are fairly similar but with bigger pellets than the 00. But both will probably put a man in him ass in no time
    Smaller pellets... 00 Buck is .33", #1 Buck is .30"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by snakyjake View Post
    How does this load compare to the ever popular 00 buckshot loads for self/home defense?
    The advantage is that although the #1 pellets are smaller, there are more of them and the total frontal area is greater. From another site:

"Number 1 buck is the smallest diameter shot that reliably and consistently penetrates more than 12 inches of standard ordnance gelatin when fired at typical shotgun engagement distances. A standard 2 ¾-inch 12 gauge shotshell contains 16 pellets of #1 buck. The total combined cross sectional area of the 16 pellets is 1.13 square inches. Compared to the total combined cross sectional area of the nine pellets in a standard #00 (double-aught) buck shotshell (0.77 square inches), the # 1 buck shotshell has the capacity to produce over 30 percent more potentially effective wound trauma."

Feedback Score
    30 percent more potentially effective wound trauma.
    I'm sold! Thanks for the info.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Old_Painless View Post
    Compared to the total combined cross sectional area of the nine pellets in a standard #00 (double-aught) buck shotshell (0.77 square inches), the # 1 buck shotshell has the capacity to produce over 30 percent more potentially effective wound trauma."
    There's no free lunch, folks... the recoil is also higher, maybe even close to the same 30 percent that the effective wound trauma is higher...

That is why I would like to see an additional lighter load developed with 12 pellets...

Feedback Score
    The new #1 load shot fine, on par recoil wise with the current LE132-00 load--I absolutely would NOT want a #1 buckshot load with only 12 pellets, as that kind of defeats the whole purpose...

Feedback Score
    Fair enough... although I must admit that I find that surprising since the payload would be heavier and the velocity is probably similar between LE132-00 and LE132-1B.

I personally found there to be a noticeable recoil difference comparing 2 3/4 Magnum non-LE loads that were 12-pellet 00 Buck and 20-pellet #1 Buck... which would seem to be comparable to the comparison of the 9-pellet 00 Buck LE132-00 and the 15 pellet #1 Buck LE132-1B.

I would still like to know the actual recoil numbers, but I will drop it...

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock17JHP View Post
    Fair enough... although I must admit that I find that surprising since the payload would be heavier and the velocity is probably similar between LE132-00 and LE132-1B.

I personally found there to be a noticeable recoil difference comparing 2 3/4 Magnum non-LE loads that were 12-pellet 00 Buck and 20-pellet #1 Buck... which would seem to be comparable to the comparison of the 9-pellet 00 Buck LE132-00 and the 15 pellet #1 Buck LE132-1B.

I would still like to know the actual recoil numbers, but I will drop it...
    On a non duty home S/D shotgun just have a high quality recoil pad installed and forget about if one load has 2 or 4 foot pounds more of recoil then another, unless your using the gun for competition and firing thousands of rounds a year then I can see wanting to reduce the pounding your shoulder takes.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast